Photo
- - - - -

Getting started with Pendulums

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 decemberstar

decemberstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:34 PM

I was just wondering if anyone had some good resources for getting started with using a pendulum. The other thread on it got me interested. I've never tried it before, and thought it might be interesting to give it a go. Is one material better than another?
I have a crystal prism that is very special to me that I would like to use, but I haven't really been able to find any information on what material is best. I've found a lot of sites that sell them lol
Any links, or references would be greatly appreciated!

Posted Image
Grief can take care if itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with. - Mark Twain

#2 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

Not much is needed to learn. Use something that you like and make sure it hangs on a rope, chain or something like that. Ask it questions to verify which direction it swings mean yes and which are no. Then you can ask what ever you like. It is really easy.
My sister uses her necklace and it works fine for her. I kept mine in my pocket when I first got it. I walked around with it for a few days to form a bond. But I am not sure if that is necesarry.
Rebie

#3 Guest_Maiingan_*

Guest_Maiingan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:47 PM

I found this information a while ago...I can't remember who the author is, but it gives information on using the pendulum. Rather than babbling on (which at times I can end up doing) I thought this was a better way to go.

Pendulum Divination

A simple tool used for communicating and gaining guidance from the spiritual world. This is one of the easiest methods of divination. When used for divination, the pendulum acts as an amplifier that signals energy vibrations coming from a spiritual guide or the divine. These vibrations focus their attention on the pendulum and cause it to move in specific directions, giving you the answers to the questions you put to the tool.

The pendulum is simply a string or chain, weighted by a pointed or spherical crystal or some other form of heavy object. It is best to use all natural materials in the construction of your pendulum and its string or chain.

To use a pendulum, sit at a table, rest the elbow of your writing hand and hold the end of the chain between your thumb and forefinger. Ask a "yes" or "no" question. Hold your arm and the chain perfectly still and wait. The pendulum will begin to swing. If the pendulum swings in a circle, the answer is yes; if it swings back and forth the answer is no. If it refuses to move, to answer is given.

Hope this helps you some.
Hugs

#4 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:34 PM

That's something I haven't tried before. It will have to wait for a few days, but I think I will try it. I liked the idea of carrying it around for a bit and bonding with the stone.
It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#5 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:56 PM

I was told that you need to get to know it first. After a few days, take it and tell it which way you want you're yes and no answers. Swing it up/down and tell it "this is yes/no". Swing it the other way and say "this is no/yes" Then ask a question and it should work for you.

I did this with mine and the only time it goes into a circle is when it first starts. Then it decides on the answer.

:witch_bounce:

Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#6 decemberstar

decemberstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone :) I think I will carry the prism around with me for a little while. It's is a special stone for me, because I have strong connections to prisms from childhood. I'll carry it for a few days and then give it a go.
Posted Image
Grief can take care if itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with. - Mark Twain

#7 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:54 AM

I found this information a while ago...I can't remember who the author is, but it gives information on using the pendulum. Rather than babbling on (which at times I can end up doing) I thought this was a better way to go.

Pendulum Divination

A simple tool used for communicating and gaining guidance from the spiritual world. This is one of the easiest methods of divination. When used for divination, the pendulum acts as an amplifier that signals energy vibrations coming from a spiritual guide or the divine. These vibrations focus their attention on the pendulum and cause it to move in specific directions, giving you the answers to the questions you put to the tool.

The pendulum is simply a string or chain, weighted by a pointed or spherical crystal or some other form of heavy object. It is best to use all natural materials in the construction of your pendulum and its string or chain.

To use a pendulum, sit at a table, rest the elbow of your writing hand and hold the end of the chain between your thumb and forefinger. Ask a "yes" or "no" question. Hold your arm and the chain perfectly still and wait. The pendulum will begin to swing. If the pendulum swings in a circle, the answer is yes; if it swings back and forth the answer is no. If it refuses to move, to answer is given.

Hope this helps you some.

Hugs

None of this has ever been the case for me. For me and some others I know, back and forth means yes, side to side means no. Swinging in circles is uncertain or do not want to answer. As for sitting at the table with elbows on it, that is not necessary for me. I do it standing or sitting and sometimes I rest my elbows and sometimes I do not. But that is just it. It depends on the person and the pendulum. That is why you should try to establish what is yes or no before using one. Like so many divination tools, it all depends on the person using it. You have to try to get to know it and figure out what works for you. I am leary of anyone who says it has to be done their particular way.
Rebie

#8 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

"Yes" and "No" responses are different for everyone.

Its best to ask your pendulum to show you "yes" and then show you "no" before undertaking any work. It eradicates the need for so-called programming of the pendulum and allows each one to work according to its own energies.

Most of the time I get a circle for "yes" and side to side for "no". Unknown is a rather heavy handed shaking where the pendulum appears to have pent up energy but not way of moving.

However, everyone works differently.

#9 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:25 AM

I too have back/forth for yes, side to side for no, circles in the beginning and then its usually uncertain or dosn't want to answer.

After you get working with it, you can actually draw up on a piece of paper with answer in a fan fashion _\|/_ like when I loose my keys- I have bedrm, kit, liv rm, bath, and will show my pendulum where each are, and then ask it where my keys are. If it circled it wasn't in any of those rooms. It always gets me to the right room so I find my keys faster. You can also do this for the simple answers, yes, no, maybe, ask later, don't know, male, female... I draw a straight line to each with an arrow up to it. The line is a guide as to which answer for you. I have done this with numbers too _\|/_ a little imagination goes along ways here. For me it reduces the amount of questions.

#10 Lurid Wolf

Lurid Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

Does anyone use a pendulum board there are several differnt types. I have just gotten a few designs together and plan on making a few. My wife likes to work with her pendulum I myself have not. I use other methods, but anyone interested let me know or if you have a design in mind I can see what I can do. (I work at home depot so the materials are not expensive) just p.m. me and we can talk about it.

#11 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

I too have back/forth for yes, side to side for no, circles in the beginning and then its usually uncertain or dosn't want to answer.

I like that myself because it closely emulates the natural motions of your head, if you were to shake your head "no" or nod your head "yes".

December, if you really want to dig into it, there's a book by Richard Webster, called "Pendulum Magic for Beginners". I haven't read my copy all the way through yet but it looks nice from what I've glanced over.
http://www.amazon.co...stp_st_edpp_url

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#12 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

Does anyone use a pendulum board there are several differnt types. I have just gotten a few designs together and plan on making a few. My wife likes to work with her pendulum I myself have not. I use other methods, but anyone interested let me know or if you have a design in mind I can see what I can do. (I work at home depot so the materials are not expensive) just p.m. me and we can talk about it.

That is a kind offer Lurid Wolf. It would be interesting to try using a board with my pendulum. That is something I shall consider.
Rebie

#13 Guest_Bean Sprite_*

Guest_Bean Sprite_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:55 PM

I have a witch board that I also use as a pendelum board.

#14 decemberstar

decemberstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the link Grymdycche. I'm going to stick that on my wish list :D
Posted Image

#15 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:49 AM

If it is possible, its aways good to test out the pendulum before you buy it. Just to see if you have a connection with it. I like my amethyst, which has walked off again (I think it has a mind of its own) better than my tiger's eye. But I was able to test out my amethyst and maybe that's why. If you think that testing it would be a good idea and you can't by a mineral/gemstone pendulum, then a ring or something close to you would work well. I also like to transfer some of my energy to my pendulum like Rebie. I keep it on my morning alter at night and wear it on me somewhere during the day. Here's a secret. I wear Victoria Secret bras, they are nice and padded, so everything ends up in there (different stones, etc...). Okay... some of us are not blessed with big breast :embarrased: :rolleyes_witch:.

In any case, just as everyone said ask the pendulum what is no and what is yes. I suggest doing this everytime. When your energy changes your pendulum may as well. With my amethyst - it changes a lot. But then again, I've been having a lot of life changes lately. Kids starting school, me working again, I was non responsive in November... the list goes on. My amethyst tends to vibrate too especially when its trying to tell me something. It looks like its going to fly out of my hand.

#16 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:37 PM

I'm curious how many of you use necklaces as Pendulums? After reading about a healer using his pendulum for absolutely EVERYTHING, I just walked over to my favourite necklace (essentially a tiny ornate witch's ball on a cord) and focussed my mind and started asking questions.

I held my arm and wrist just as others have indicated. The necklace was completely still and when I would ask a question - it violently swung or circled.

I didn't know what to do once I got an answer - just said "Thank you!" and then the pendulum stopped immediately or quite quickly.

I could feel the charge of energy around the necklace.

So my question I guess - is it worthwhile to buy a Pendulum or does it sound like this necklace works for me?

The other question is - I asssumed horizonatl or counterclockwise was NO and vertical and clockwise circles were YES. Do you think I should teach this pendulum or just go along as I have started?

Thanks!

#17 Kiara

Kiara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

My first pendulum was simply a ring and a hair (I've always had long hair and - no, I didn't use this method very often). I bought myself an amethyst pendulum a few years ago, which I also carried around in my pocket. I stopped after it kept getting knotted sometime last year, though.

A good method to practise is taking a deck of playing cards, picking one out and spreading the deck face down on a surface. Then try to find the card with the pendulum.

Scientists say it's impossible for a bumble bee to fly - their wings are too small.
Who's going to explain that to the bumble bees?

Avatar from http://www.josephinewall.co.uk/

#18 Windrunner

Windrunner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:14 AM

I have a black obsidian pendulum on a silver chain. It's the only one that ever worked for me, I never got movement with necklaces or any other tyoe of chrystal.

Mine also does the up and down 'nod' for yes and a side to side move for no. For uncertainty it tends to quiver as it hangs on it's chain. Rephrasing the question often resolves it.

I find that having my elbow on the table brings less success than if I stand and hold it in front of me and it usually helps to have my other hand underneath and palm up. It also works over paper when I draw a floorplan of my house to help me find something.

If I use it in healing, it spins widely over different areas of the body. Anticlockwise over pain areas and then clockwise over the area after healing.

When I first got it I used to keep it in a little pouch in my pocket. Yes and no movements were found by asking questions I knew the answer to eg. 'my boy is 17 years old' revealed a 'yes' and 'my husband is younger than me' got me my 'no' move.

However my friends pendulum tends to behave differently for him. Hope you have fun experimenting with yours. Keep trying, it's like a friend, you get better responses when you know each other better - stupid though it sounds. :goodluck:

#19 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:36 AM

I'm curious how many of you use necklaces as Pendulums? After reading about a healer using his pendulum for absolutely EVERYTHING, I just walked over to my favourite necklace (essentially a tiny ornate witch's ball on a cord) and focussed my mind and started asking questions.

I held my arm and wrist just as others have indicated. The necklace was completely still and when I would ask a question - it violently swung or circled.

I didn't know what to do once I got an answer - just said "Thank you!" and then the pendulum stopped immediately or quite quickly.

I could feel the charge of energy around the necklace.

So my question I guess - is it worthwhile to buy a Pendulum or does it sound like this necklace works for me?

The other question is - I asssumed horizonatl or counterclockwise was NO and vertical and clockwise circles were YES. Do you think I should teach this pendulum or just go along as I have started?

Thanks!

I have an amethyst pendulum that I purchased last year. When I first received it, I cleansed it overnight in sea salt. (covered it completely in a bowl) The next day, I "Reiki'd" it with my energy. I then ask it to tell me "yes", it moved side to side, then I ask it to tell me "no", it moved up and down. These are the opposite from the others that have replied.

I think the pendulum will fit the person/their energy. I wear it on a cord around my neck. It has not failed me when I have asked a question. I have also used it to pick out tarot cards. I shuffle the cards 3x and spread them horizonally on the table. I take the pendulum and let it comfortably hang from my hand right above the cards and slowly move it along the cards. I have in mind that I want to choose 3 cards. It goes crazy at the card I am to pick, it does nothing at the other cards.

There is no "right or wrong". If something works for you, use it.
:wink:

#20 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:57 AM

I have success with anything that I use as a pendulum whether it be a necklace or a crystal or weight on some string.

I usually ask it to show me 'yes' then 'no' and 'maybe/unsure' clearly before getting to my questions or intent.

But as with any divination method, this may work well for one witch but not another, i think it's a matter of focusing your intent and trying again and again.

I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.