To Blow Or Not To Blow...

AnjelWolf

Hi Guys...

I had a friend of mine come over yesterday and give me some Virginia Snake Root liquid (I had gotten nipped by a spider, while in my backyard). Anyhow she ended up staying for most of the evening (as a precaution cause I am allergic to spider bites) and was present when I did a sell. Once the spell was completed I blew out the candle I had used. She raised both eyebrows and began to chastise me for blowing out the candle and by informing me that I had insulted the air by doing so and should only use a snuffer. Her remarks didn't settle well with me (one I wasn't feeling very good and two I had always considered the whole blowing vs. snuffing rule a Wiccan thing). So we got into an in depth discussion about paths and views. She felt that even though she was Pagan she still followed by the rule of "snuffing" out her candles during anything because otherwise, it really does show insult to the air. Now I"m sorry...please let's have an open discussion here because I simply do not see the point on this. I don't understand how blowing out my candles give insult to the air...my hubbys' farting yes...THAT is an insult to the air...some people with really funky body odor...again YES...another true insult...but my blowing out a candle??? Alright I'm done griping...going too go now and put some fresh root on my bite marks.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was unaware that air itself could ever become insulted??:alright: . Snuff/blow, who gives a flying f*?k as long the candle doesnt burn your house down!

LOL

I normally snuff but only to prevent the stinky smoke of the wick!

.. I thought I heard it all, but that one Anjel is a classic! One to blog I think LOL

.. hope that you will be OK xxx take care of that bite Anjel xxx

Guest wortmistress

Hands up who sniffs a Wiccan idea?!! Yup, read about this one in various books years ago except the reason for doing it was different, something to do with releasing energy for a spell. Personally methinks it's a load of crapola and just a ploy to sell candle snuffers in New Age shops(Cynic-moi?)-These people seriously need to get a grip on reality and what REALLY matters!!:)

Yeah it just got under my skin in a rather annoying manner last night when she got on me for that. I rolled my eyes when she kept insisting that I insulted the air. We both agreed to disagree on this point and leave it be (or to be honest here I might have punched her LOL). Sorry about griping about this but I guess the fact that she is a Pagan it just made me pause for a second and wonder what the hell was I missing in this whole blowing vs. snuffing thing. Anyhow I guess it just goes to show that even some Pagans can blend a few Wiccan politics into their paths as well??? (shakes head and wonders what the world has come to seeing this LOL)

Yes Anjel, got to admit until recently I was like that. As you know, I have always been Pagan both by birth and by choice, but until recently I hadnt had the good fortune to find the path I am trying to concentrate on now, so basicly struggled along to try and cobble wicca together with Paganism best I could and try to make some sense of it, because I didnt know any better. I guess there are many others out there that are still doing it( not the youngsters of course they mostly, by no means all, just followin Buffy) because they havnt been as fortunate as I was, I've got you guys for support now(for which I am greatfull) but before cud only work on what I could find! Not taking a pop at anyone, think you know me better than that, just trying to put forward another angle on it. Wiccans advertise so much people accept it because they dont know better.:hugs:

Yes Anjel, got to admit until recently I was like that. As you know, I have always been Pagan both by birth and by choice, but until recently I hadnt had the good fortune to find the path I am trying to concentrate on now, so basicly struggled along to try and cobble wicca together with Paganism best I could and try to make some sense of it, because I didnt know any better. I guess there are many others out there that are still doing it( not the youngsters of course they mostly, by no means all, just followin Buffy) because they havnt been as fortunate as I was, I've got you guys for support now(for which I am greatfull) but before cud only work on what I could find! Not taking a pop at anyone, think you know me better than that, just trying to put forward another angle on it. Wiccans advertise so much people accept it because they dont know better.:hugs:

Very true Marshy...after reading your post I did give it some thought and yeah I know she probably just felt that her way of blending that belief with her path is a good thing as well...and/or she just doesn't know any better. I guess when you look at how Wicca is soooooooooooooooo over commercialized in society and how it "plays up the fluffy public image" you almost feel guilty for being pissy about something like this you know? I mean yeah I try to be very respectful on other paths and greatly admire many of them (Muslim, Judism, Buddism, Santeria, etc...) and while I don't mean to slam on wiccans...but dear god above can't they just give it a rest with all the damn non-substance rules for crissakes? Damn I mean to me their rules and what-not is like Britney Spears announcing she is in line to receive the next Nobel Peace Prize for rocket science...it just doesn't make sense! LOL!

I agree with you totally, its little more than brainwashing, trouble is when you are trying to believe you have found what you are looking for,you dont really spend time thinking about why! Like I said I am extremly lucky I found you guys. The top bunnies are that far up their own asses, they will con you into anything, especially if they are made to look good or make money out of it. If somebody offers you all the secrets and charge for it people think they know what they are doing, thankfully I know different, but times are a changing Anjel, look at the people coming here now, it is turning!:D

True... :) and ahead of time let me apologize to all Britney spears fans for the slam on her...I am not a fan of her antics (basically LOL)

Greetings A.W

Aaahh yes the insulted air ... ok just quickly as I am busier than the proverbial one legged man in the ass kicking comp .... here were some thoughts.

Insult air ... insult an element ... bollox for the needy ... elemental my dear Watson.

As I like to say (and it grinds em every time!) "Earth. It AIN'T your mother and it AIN'T your father but it IS where they both live". I really think it is about time that so many of that lot got into the idea that as grown ups they should at least pretend to be so. As Bill Hicks said: "Don't worry -- it's only your dignity!"

BUT it does remind me of a funny story (doesn't everything!? With humour like mine it is as well I am a wood carver!) A certain lad of my acquaintance years ago got fed up with us ribbin him that he decided to show off for us. (Now he SHOULD have known better!)

Anyhow he had done a lengthy prep and then engaged in front of us in some more lengthy hermetic dancing about with much aerobic arm wand waving. (Hermetically aerobic?) Anyhoo ... to cut his long ritual short at the end he finished by sauntering over to the East and in a lound (and I thought quite impressive) show of proper ceremonial vibration announced that his new name to finish the work he had been engaged in was:

"KETHER - BRINGER OF WIND!!!"

Whereupon he let rip with one of the best, loudest and most drawn out farts I have ever heard.:shock:

Now, if it had NOT been for the fact of the colour draining out of his face, the slumping of his shoulders and his shamefacedly leaving the room as we all literally fell about the place in hysterics I would have labelled it one of the finest social comment rites I have ever seen because by gods ... it was dramatic, well executed, his skills were all good and it worked! What more do you want? Except perhaps some sort of mask or in his case a deaf audience.

At the end of the day of course I have seen some of the most bizarre things being done by people who should know better as alleged "rituals" but has already been pointed out here and elsewhere if it achieves what it sets out to achieve what does it matter? A good ritual or spell or whatever latest cutesy name people wanna use is one that gets the job done. There will always be people with odd superstitions but that is what keeps life funny.

Fraternally

Scott

Greetings AW

but dear god above can't they just give it a rest with all the damn non-substance rules for crissakes?

Or as I growled at a person I know at one public ritual for beginners I was conned into helping with a while back, "Fer friggsake can you please make it your business to teach these eejuts how to raise energy without these try hard pseudo indian tom tom beats".

Basically there we are all trying to keep these yowwuns and that they were - it was a weekend for them (don't ask me how I got conned it is a long story!) and then right in the middle poke up two or three nonces with drums.

Now I don't mind drumming in it's place and again if it gets the job done fine but ... it's simple ... these are greens totally ... no clue at all ... need to concentrate as did we the few attempting to lead them through so none of them lose it and shatter the deal ... and as the person concerned was allegedly a druid gods only know what all the damn DOOm tom tom tom was about ... still it should also be said that self same while expounding the virtues of knowing the earth etc in his lecture didn't know which way north was and the wind began howling so few could even hear him. Know the bloody elements?! I'd settle for some of them simply listening! LOL

Fraternally

Scott

I keep a snuffer on my altar cause it puts out the main candles faster and makes less of a mess. Not to mention I think they are just damn cool. But damn if I had one for all the assorted candles in my house I have to go buy (uhmmm 1,2,3 oh nevermind) way too many snuffers. Can you tell I am a candle fanatic! LOL I even make my own.

I read somewhere about that bit of blowing not being good for the spell or working or whatever. It hasn't seemed to hurt my workings any. So I call bull on the insulting the wind... They should meet my dogs butt now that is insulting! ;)

Hi Anjelwoolf

Sounds to me as if your friend was giving a pretty thin justification for her snuffin' policy, rather than admitting it is a rule or convention she follows. Mmmmm religion with rules and conventions??? Sound patriarchal anyone? Outside my house at the moment it is pretty blowy so I have opened up the window and yes there is a lovely fresh wind. In a minute I am going to go out and shout up at it for the sheer joy of it. It wont change or notice me, there will be no intent in my actions other than to make me feel happy. Wind is elemental, a powerful force, soft, wild, stormy, magnificent, destructive, caressing and seductive and so much more than my clumsy words can describe. Do people seriously believe that blowing out a candle will affect the wind!! The wind doesn't give a shit! Personally I blow every time! ;)

LOL!!! You know it just never seems to stop making me shake my head and giggle when I think on that ass chewing she gave me LOL! I mean I am trying to see her side...just makes me still shake my head and roll my eyes.

Its got to make you laugh, but at the same time of laughing its something that does worry me. Like so many people, my first taste of paganism was Wiccan. Before saying another word, and before any Wiccan accuses me of being anti-Wiccan, I am not anti-Wiccan any more than I am anti anything else. What I am against is any religion that says there is only one way to go about something, or only one view point that counts. Being pagan should mean we have left all that bullshit behind, but sadly in some pagan sections it is alive and well.

What worries me about (some) pagans of which there seems to be a greater number of Wiccan's than any other section, is if you look closely, if you stop and think about it, you can see very early structures being built the look very much the same as some extreme Christian churches. Structures that say a ritual has to be done in an exact certain way, the example that started this thread of candles being put out an exact certain way.

People who know me, know I try to follow the words "An ye harm none, do as ye will". I try to follow this saying because I regard it as being a very concise description of how I feel I should live my life. I regard it as a contract with life and with others, so if someone breaks that contract and tries to harm me, I have the free will to do 'whatever' to protect and payback the little sods (and I can be ruthless). But all told I try to follow that saying. The words have no magic, they are not a holy text, No god stepped from behind a burning bush and and gave them to us, they were written by an ordinary human being who was trying to express their feeling, and I think they did a good job. Yet, as you look at some pagan sections, you see the first building blocks of placing such pieces of text into some kind of 'holy scripture' context. I see these early signs of some sections of paganism spiralling off into some evangelistic version of paganism (wrong word wrong context I know).

It does worry me. Mainly because these sections of paganism are very attractive to very young people. But then maybe I over react?

ps. I have always been in favour of the blow job system myself :)

The first thing I remember changing when I left Wicca is that I blew out my damn candles. I always hated that snuffing business and only did it part of the time. I enjoyed not doing it and not worrying about something weird happening.

Hi Ora, how true, I know what you mean, how great did it feel to do something I felt was right, instead of following some bloody daft rules!

Greetings A.W

Aaahh yes the insulted air ... ok just quickly as I am busier than the proverbial one legged man in the ass kicking comp .... here were some thoughts.

Insult air ... insult an element ... bollox for the needy ... elemental my dear Watson.

As I like to say (and it grinds em every time!) "Earth. It AIN'T your mother and it AIN'T your father but it IS where they both live". I really think it is about time that so many of that lot got into the idea that as grown ups they should at least pretend to be so. As Bill Hicks said: "Don't worry -- it's only your dignity!"

BUT it does remind me of a funny story (doesn't everything!? With humour like mine it is as well I am a wood carver!) A certain lad of my acquaintance years ago got fed up with us ribbin him that he decided to show off for us. (Now he SHOULD have known better!)

Anyhow he had done a lengthy prep and then engaged in front of us in some more lengthy hermetic dancing about with much aerobic arm wand waving. (Hermetically aerobic?) Anyhoo ... to cut his long ritual short at the end he finished by sauntering over to the East and in a lound (and I thought quite impressive) show of proper ceremonial vibration announced that his new name to finish the work he had been engaged in was:

"KETHER - BRINGER OF WIND!!!"

Whereupon he let rip with one of the best, loudest and most drawn out farts I have ever heard.:shock:

Now, if it had NOT been for the fact of the colour draining out of his face, the slumping of his shoulders and his shamefacedly leaving the room as we all literally fell about the place in hysterics I would have labelled it one of the finest social comment rites I have ever seen because by gods ... it was dramatic, well executed, his skills were all good and it worked! What more do you want? Except perhaps some sort of mask or in his case a deaf audience.

At the end of the day of course I have seen some of the most bizarre things being done by people who should know better as alleged "rituals" but has already been pointed out here and elsewhere if it achieves what it sets out to achieve what does it matter? A good ritual or spell or whatever latest cutesy name people wanna use is one that gets the job done. There will always be people with odd superstitions but that is what keeps life funny.

Fraternally

Scott

Scott....I was trying to see where I could only use a quote or two from this but dammit the whole thing was ROFLMAO LOL!!! Especially where the lad farted! LOL!!! Thanks luv i needed your story and a good laugh right now LOL!!!!!

Greetings D.M All,

A couple of thoughst before back to work I go ....

On the rules and some who want/need em trying to make them all encompassing ....

I know how it is ... I have my own personal (and not so hard to spot) bug bears along that line myself that I am working on .. I take courage from the fact that the dynamics overall these days are not much different to the way they have always been. Indeed I am often shocked at how different they aren't. There will always be some who for whatever lacks or needs will want a great big safety harness and desire no one to walk the rope without. *Shrugs* Just as there will always be the other side who (like me) perhaps sneer a little too much at wanting a net in the first place. I figure if it has stayed the same for so long it prob has some secret way of evening out. Hell at the end of the day I am glad that witches who just get on with it are a minority - hell you certainly don't find too many on the web - too busy getting the job done (Betty Boo Doin' the Do!?!?!)

It is also worth noting that to be honest here we also find very few actual wiccans on the web as well - lots of those who have been exposed to outer court wiccan inspired or affected teachings and training but very few wiccans.

On that score I alos kind of think that is good - suggests that they are off "doin to do" as well. Besides and here is a clincher ... all tradional rules and hoo hah aside .. if you are doing what it is YOU are supposed to do - expressing who YOU are ... then you are serving a somewhat higher purpose than any specific religion. It is odd as many religions have this notion enshrined within them .. but it tends to be the first thing apt to be forgotten. In fact that was one of my favourite parts in the old Monkey TV series - the fact that on regular occasions Tripitaka was exposed to the fact that although he was quite holy and steadfast in his belief; the monsters that opposed him were often truer to their selves than he ever could be. Afterall if you're a monster you need to do monstrous things and while he was very holy he did very little acting on that faith except condemnation.

But listen to me sermonising again ... what a pain! Have fun, do the do - it don't get better than that! Now that is more like it - the more complex the scripture the easier it is to stop up the drain! LOL

Fraternally

Scott

i like to use my tounge..................

no really i use the finger and thumb method myself lol

Careful Storm...Sandy and I might have to put you in our naughty box and teach you some lessons! LOL!!!

• 1 month later...

Im a recycler. If I use a candle for a spell, as soon as I've finished I blow out the candle, cleanse it and put it back in the cupboard until the next time I need a candle. I only use props for focus and visulization, the candle is not magic just your intent.

I say do what you want but don't preach to others that its gospel ;)

Greetings Spinneyhex

I say do what you want but don't preach to others that its gospel ;)

Oho yes indeed ... I reckon if we could just get everyone to do this part alone it'd all be that easier!

BTW love the avatar ... can't remember is thet from Metropolis or is it Theda?

Fraternally

Scott

Archived