Dumb Question!

Morgana

Help!!! I have always used either incense cones or oil. I received a beautiful Beltane basket the other day that had a charcoal burner with herbs. When I tried to light the charcoal burner, it was sparking. Did I light this right? It seems to be burning, but now come the real questions.... 1. How much herb mix do I put on it? 2. Will it burn itself out within a certain time period? 3. If not, how do I put it out?

Think this will be my last experiement with this!!!! I'll stick with the incense and oil.

If it was sparking that shows it was lighting. In other words you were doing it right. I usually sprinkle a light fingerful of herbs over it once it is glowing red. Then top this up at intervals when the fragrance and smoke die down a bit. Be careful not to chuck too much on as you might cough & choke. It depends on the mix so you can have fun experimenting. The charcoal will burn itself out although I am afraid I have never timed this! If you need to put it out in a hurry, the safest way is to pour sand over it. Stick with it, there is nothing like trying out new blends, or even making your own!

So you're saying I should have let it get nice and hot BEFORE I put the herbs on? LOL

I put a small sprinkle of herbs on and when that was gone, I just put some good old fashion sage on. Smells pretty good.

I have it in my little baby cauldron, so if need be, I can put that in the kitchen sink and let it finish burning. Yes, I will use an oven mit to move it.

Its going to one of those weeks. I've already knocked my lap top off the desk onto the chair 2x tonite. Once the battery popped out and landed on my foot, too. AHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Thanks for the info!!!! :wavex:

It's fun making your own incense mix and burning it on charcoal. Sadly it takes a long time for the charcoal to burn out and sometimes the smoke from the herbs can get a bit annoying. Make sure you don't set off the firealarm:wink:.

Thistle

Guest Rebie
I always try and break the disc in half to lessen the burning time.

I do the same. I cannot take the smoke and incense much because I am allergic. So, I will break the charcoal up in pieces and use them that way to lesson the time. It has worked well for me that way.

Rebie

Thanks for starting this thread Morgana and for everyone who contributed, it has helped with my herb burning problems.

I recently started burning herbs on charcoal in my little cauldron and had begun to give up hope of doing this without choking myself and stinking out the bedroom! :embarased:

Think I may have got carried away with the amount of herbs I put on. The smoke smell was overpowering the scent of the herb completely and it was very oppressive and unpleasant:sickwitch:

Is it better to burn herbs outside or just alter my approach?

The charcoal discs I have burn for about 1 hour a piece :D

it really depends on what you are burning. some things are not safe to burn indoors. if you have no choice but to burn those things inside, do it under your stove vent.

i burn most of my stuff in my kitchen. i am also obsessed with fire. :blobfire:

i also will find myself putting herbs on the open flame of a candle if i don't feel like dealing with the charcoal.

Guest Bean Sprite

I'm a bit of a pyro myself.:rolleyes_witch:

I like making a lot of my hers into a smudge stick, so that I can burn them for specific right when ever I want , then let them burn out in a dish or cauldron, or terra cotta plate, whatever.

it really depends on what you are burning. some things are not safe to burn indoors. if you have no choice but to burn those things inside, do it under your stove vent.

i burn most of my stuff in my kitchen. i am also obsessed with fire. :blobfire:

i also will find myself putting herbs on the open flame of a candle if i don't feel like dealing with the charcoal.

I have a good selection of herbs but to my knowledge the only one that my books say I shouldn't burn is Scullcap as the fumes are poisonous. Burning them in the kitchen is probably a much better idea though and I certainly like the idea of just using a candle sometimes - it's the charcoal itself which I don't like.

Yes, I've always had a bit of a thing about fire too, maybe it's a witch thing? :spellcaster: I accidentally burnt my finger nails on a candle when I was younger - anyone ever done that? - the smell is awful!

I always learn best from my mistakes :embarased:

Thanks to everyone for your advice :grin_witch:

Really good information. I've never tried the charcoal but I would like to. Does anybody know any good places to buy them? Or would an arts and crafts store likely sell them?

I got my charcoal from a herb supplier on ebay, most sellers and online stores that sell herbs or witchy/pagan items will sell charcoal discs. They normally come in packs of 10 and some of them are 'easy light' ones :witch_bounce:

I got mine from 13 Moons online. I ordered a nice Beltane Basket and it happened to be in the basket. Its the first time I tried it and yes, I caused way too much smoke. In the future, I will break the charcoal up into smaller pieces and use less herbs.

But all in all, it worked very well for NOT knowing what I was doing. Thanks for all the tips. :happydance:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tiger Lady

I have not been able to get the charcoal discs. Mainly because I need to order them. I'll definitely put an order in when I have enough items to purchase to take advantage of flat rate shipping. I'll be needing another black pillar and some black tapers soon, so I'll probably be getting an order together. I can't wait to try the charcoal. I've only seen charcoal used once and I loved the fragrance - it was outdoors though. I also appreciate all the advice. I would not have thought of breaking the charcoal up.

I do make smudge sticks too. My favorite combination is rosemary on the inside, surrounded with lavender, and lastly surrounded with sage.