found bones

FamiliarWitch

my daughters and I were walking in the woods the other day and we found 3 intact skeletons. 2 were from deer and one was from ... something. the size of a small dog but with herbivorous teeth. ??

anyway, my question is this... we gathered some of the bones (skulls, too, of course!), so do I need to boil them? I have had a few people tell me that I needed to do that. they have been in the woods for a LONG time and there is no signs of anything but dirt on them.

what is the best way to cleanse them?

thanks for your help!!

No .. usually you only have to boil bones if they still have flesh attached to them. I have found natural bones before and never boiled them (washed them yes, boiled them no!) ....if they are old they can actually disintegrate if you boil them!

No .. (washed them yes, boiled them no!) ....

My uncle, a mountain man through and through, while hiking through the woods often finds bones and sometimes gives them to me, but before he does anything with them he cleans and disinfects them. As far as I know he uses Chlorox Cleaner in water, because it kills any harmful bacteria but won't bleach the skull (I like the worn, rustic look on my bones). Although I'm sure you could find many other, possibly even natural, cleaners out there that can do the same job.

thanks, you two! i was worried about the boiling thing too. these seem to be older and i didn't want to break them. so i will wash them. will spraying the skulls with a bleach/water mixture to get into the creases be alright? and do they take forever to dry back out?

I would usually just soak them in a bucket of water/cleaner mixture, but spraying them and letting them sit for a while should work just as well (esp. if the skulls have horns or antlers as you don't want to risk bleaching those). Then just rinse them with regular water and let dry.

Let us know how it worked.

I've attached a picture of a skull my uncle cleaned and gave to me.

971_thumb.attach

Archived