The Craft & Practical Magic...

Kern

Does everyone remember Sandra Bullock making her wish for the perfect man in the movie? Well right after that movie, I layed in bed and made a list of charactoristics in a man I wanted. Then I sent it out into the universe. My husband and I started dating a month later. He fit the discription perfectly. Shoot, if only I knew it was really gonna work, I would have added lots of money to that list. LOL

Rebie

Guest dawnmedos

quote:

I thought the "Mannaz" (sp?) concept was kinda funny

it was manon in the movie- read it backwords- nonam- without name.

i liket the craft as teenager and after i saw the movie in that time i started to went deeper into witchcraft.

practical magic is my favorite movie, i can see it over and over again.

the book is real good, too- but they changed many many things for the movie.

in the book only the aunts are real witches and sally ang gilli are more normal.

nice was that;:mad2:

the aunts do a real folkmagic spell in the book and sally and gillian are watching how it works over the months- a woman aks the aunts to get a love spell, to get a man she loves. and she get the man after, but it gets a horror for her. later the aunts curse her, because she hurts sally, she want that the aunts undo the spell, but they can?t- so they beat the child.

the aunts spoke a spell, wich they learned from their mother- to make the chicken quiet, after that the woman is quiet forever.

Question here... The old lady in Practical Magick that tells the detective that they're harvesting fetuses.. is she the same lady in the movie Skeleton Key? (The lady in Skeleton Key I'm talking about is the one that Kate Hudson goes to with the lawyer to discuss that record.. the one with the cataracts)

I haven't seen Skeleton Key, but I don't think it is. The Aunts in PM were played by Stockard Channing and Diane Wiest, neither of which were in SK according to http://www.IMDB.com.

Guest Landieth

Oh! lol, I was talking about one of the citizens of the town in Practical Magick. Not the aunts. lol :) She was the old one sitting in the chair when the detective was talking to everyone.. she said they were harvesting fetus' and didn't age. lol

Guest Dreamwalker

Oh I love all of those movies!! Especially Practical Magic, but if you haven't read the book and you love the movie, read it and you'll love it all even more!

There are a few oldies but cuties from my childhood that no one has mentioned like:

Escape From Witch Mountain

The Worst Witch (Fairuza beginning her career in witch acting and Tim Curry in a cape and SINGING!)

The Witches (which I think is another witch role for Angelica Houston before The Mists of Avalon)

Guest Perizada

I'm more into Merlin, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and Mists of Avalon but I did love Practical Magic and The Craft was alright. Of late I have fell in love with The Last Mimzy!! If you haven't seen it rent it! It has a much deeper meaning that at first glance.Also Ladyhawke is one of my all time favs.:stirring:

Guest Varillon
I'm more into Merlin

I've always liked the Merlin/King Arthur kind of thing myself. The one with Sam Neill is a personal fave. There was a sequel to it that I haven't seen yet but hear it wasn't as good. Miranda Richardson made a good Queen Mab. She also played the Lady of the Lake.

I have to admit I'm a big Harry Potter fan too. What an interesting universe it would be if that world were real.

It's funny though, how much influence Rowling must've gotten from other sources, when you look: from "Harry Potter", the name of the main character in the 1986 movie "Troll", to "The Worst Witch", a story written in the mid '70s and televised in the '80s and '90s, a story which foreshadows Hogwarts.

I'm more into Merlin, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and Mists of Avalon but I did love Practical Magic and The Craft was alright. Of late I have fell in love with The Last Mimzy!! If you haven't seen it rent it! It has a much deeper meaning that at first glance.Also Ladyhawke is one of my all time favs.:stirring:

I like all these movies as well.

Rebie

Lord of the Rings i LOVE. Practical Magic, also. Ladyhawke was good although it's been ages since I saw it. Don't laugh, but I always get a laugh out of Warlock.

For some reason, though, I totally can't get into Mists of Avalon, the book or the movie. I just keep wanting to slap the characters - a very unusual frame of mind for me. LOL No clue why it does that to me.

Practical Magic - if I was rich I'd have someone build me a house like that one. LOVED that house (also the house in Mama Mia)... but, alas, I'm not rich ;-)

One of the things I liked the most about Ladyhawke was the horse that Rutger Hauer rode, it was such a beautiful beast. I have an affinity with birds of prey so I like watching anything with them in....I have an affinity with Rutger Hauer too, or would have given half the chance :naughty:

I have to say that I wasn't all that taken with the craft...it was ok, not more....and the set, house etc in practical magic was better than the film, but that's just me

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bansheekisses

I love all the movies listed here so far. Don't like the way hollywood makes a witch look, but find that Practicle magic spoke a little more to me than The Craft. ( I agree The Craft was a little too Wiccan to be completely enjoyable. Yet, it was one of those, unplug your head and enjoy, type of movies).

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I albsolutely looooove Practical Magic. I want that friggin house so badly! Or to just decorate my own house liek that some day. Muaha. The Craft is alright but it definitely has way too much of Wiccan/Ceremonial practice shown. It was neat when I first watched it but I never felt it showed anything I could be connected to as a witch. Another favorite though is Hocus Pocus. I loved that movie when I was little, its still awesome for a movie marathon on Halloween or Samhain. :D

• 4 weeks later...

The craft wasn't nonsense entirely and although practical magic was completely and utterly a girls film (come on who hasn't done midnight margaritas since that film!) some of the magic was pretty authentic and not glossed over which I liked but my all time at the moment got a mention from Perizada, The mists of avalon. I paid alot for that film recently and it was worth every penny. Every time I watch it reminds me of the honour I am to have bestowed upon me (allbeit in the film a fictional sense) at the winter solstice - then I'll be a priestess of the druid order, if you have seen the film, you can imagine the goosebumps!