Photo
- - - - -

Ouija Board/Spirit Board?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#41 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

I have also heard awful stories regarding Ouija boards, one of them being from my Dad who is a no nonsence policeman that thinks, or thought the whole thing was tosh until he did one in his teens.
After awful things happened, the cat ran up the wall onto the celing, there was a death and illness and various other things. This put me off of Ouija borads for a very long time. Conicidence or maybe a nasty spirit, i dont know.

I did one not so long ago with a friend, nothing really happened aprt from the fact that i picked up on a very sad man Jacob who had possibly lived in that house. I cried whilst we were doing the ouija board as i picked up on so much sadness but was that me buying into the whole thing, maybe my own feelings being heavily bought out by too much red wine?;)

Would i do one again? I dont really know. I know that i dont actually need anymore bad luck. Maybe ill put that on the back burner for a bit.

#42 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

I have never worked with one, not even in my teens.

My mother in law and sister in law have told me terrible well, scary stories about using one.

I have enough spirits running around this house, I'm not inviting any others in!!!

Although, I wouldn't mind playing with one is someone else's house!! LOL, does that make me evil?:P

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#43 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

Nah it makes you sensible ;)

#44 akumaxkami

akumaxkami

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:03 PM

I made my own spirit board out of cardboard a while back, but I haven't used it. Honestly, I think I'm a bit too nervous at this point. Reading through this thread though comforted me a lot and I think I'll be able to summon up the courage to use it and stay in a positive frame of mind while doing so.

#45 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:46 AM

I have a ouija board, but it's for looks as I like that Victorian at Halloween look. I think I used one once when I was 13, with a friend and it seemed silly to me; not in the aspect of it not working, more in the sense that I don't need one for spirit communication in the first place. She tried telling me once that stuff moved on it's own when she used one by herself, and I seriously doubt her to this day as she's always been nothing but an attention seeker.

#46 autumngirl

autumngirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

I did the Ouija board quite a few times as a teenager. I did it with my mother. I don't know why -- she wasn't a witch, or at least she never called herself one. And she was uber-practical. I can not imagine her saying she believed in "magic"...ever. But...for whatever reason, she encouraged certain little magical things in me. For instance, for my 15th birthday she gave me Tarot cards. She didn't do Tarot herself. So, who knows.

Anyway, the Ouija planchette (spelling? Is that correct?) would spin around the board so fast it would practically fly right out of our hands. I always wondered whether subconsciously we were moving it, because really, one does have to consider the practical, and besides, I have always been interested in psychology and how the brain can "trick itself" into one thing or another. But it really was moving, I'll tell you that, actually away from my hands at times so that I would have to "chase" it around the board to catch up to it.

We had many encounters with various entities. They would all have different styles of "speaking." Some would be very prim and proper. Others were rather coarse. Once we got someone who identified him/herself as "Baby," and misspelled tons of words, and didn't really answer our questions. She/he just said things like, "Hurts." My mother burst into tears over that one and the session ended. My mother then told me that in Victorian times babies weren't necessarily named immediately at birth and she believed that was why the entity called itself "Baby."

Again, this was always so weird because outside the Ouija board and certain other things (like the Tarot cards she gave me), she would have laughed at anyone who suggested such things could have any real merit.

As far as questions we asked and whether the answers "came true," yes and no. Weirdly, one spirit that named itself "Michael" said I would meet someone named D --- M ---- from Florida (the whole name, not just a D and an M). Soon afterward, I met someone whose name was VERY similar but was a combination of where he worked and his name. Seemed a stretch, and he wasn't from Florida. But then a few weeks later I did meet someone named D --- and he was in fact from Florida. Weird since I was in New Jersey at the time.

So...I never really did figure out whether I was really "reaching" to find correlations, or what. Although I do believe in spirit contact I have to also accept that it is still possible my mother and I were subconsciously concocting this stuff. That doesn't mean there's no such thing as spirit contact. I hope I'm making sense here.

Just a couple of times we got people who seemed really bad. Never "the devil" or anything like that, LOL. Not even a classily named version like Mephistopheles or anything of that nature. But...some bad guys. One dude who didn't name himself, but who "felt" very male, which is why I say "himself," just felt...bad. Wrong. Not bad-bad as in, he wanted to suck out my and Mom's souls or anything. :P Nothing Hollywood-esque. But, for instance, I asked, "Where is my grandma right now?" and he spelled out, "Hell." My mom ripped her hands away from the planchette at that point and the session ended.

A couple of times I asked questions about family members. I asked one spirit at one time about my estranged father. I asked whether my father was just evil or didn't know how to love or what. (Remember, I was a very emotional teen at the time. :P ). The entity said, "No. Lost."

So who knows...but those were my experiences. I always got a sort of electric feeling putting my hands on the planchette. I did want to do the Ouija board, a lot. But I had to catch my mom in just the right mood and nobody else ever wanted to do it with me. I come from a very practical, laugh-at-the-idea-of-otherworldly-stuff type family. I am the black sheep. :) (Or the lone witch!) My friends never liked the idea, either.

I got my brother to do it once when I was in my early 20s. He sort of laughed at it the whole time and messed up the entire session so that was pretty much a goose egg. I have now not done the Ouija in probably 20 years.

#47 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:09 PM

I used one once at Hallows with a girl who kept annoying the hell out of me, and nothing really happened with the board. I found one recently (a very old ooone - the ones that are kind of sepia tinted and old-world looking) in a house I was cleaning out and I have it hanging on my wall as decoration, but haven't used it. I have the planchette too, but I keep that on a book shelf. I may play with it one day, I may not.

M

#48 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:16 AM

I have tried using them myself a few times, but I've not had much luck by myself. It seems to work better for me if someone else is using it and I am asking the questions. Not sure why.

#49 Broomflower

Broomflower

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

This is my first post apart from my introduction.

I have been using witch boards for over thirty years! My mother introduced my twin brother and me to the Ouija when we were 5. My dad was snowed in away from home for two or three days, and she brought out the Ouija she had in college to keep us from worrying while our dad was gone. She taught us to approach the board with an attitude of curiosity and wonder, and to not take it very seriously. I had her Ouija for many years, until it was destroyed in a fire about two and a half years ago.

Even more so than other tools of divination, like Tarot cards or crystal balls, there is a lot of superstition and fear surrounding the witch board, and that makes me a little sad. I think it is unfortunate when people allow their fears to cloud and close their minds. Perhaps it is because I have always approached the board with an attitude of respect, curiosity, and wonder, I have never had a bad experience with the witch board, although I have had experiences that were challenging. I enjoy using the witch board and it comes easily to me. I have a witch board I made from an old picture frame and tea-stained paper with the Theban alphabet on it, and I use a coin or a wooden farm market token (less likely to scratch the glass) as a planchette, although it is no replacement for my mother's wonderful Ouija. I use it by myself all the time, without negative incident.

Frequent use of the witch board has led me to automatic writing, which I also do in Theban cipher to slow it down, because if I just wrote in my own everyday handwriting it comes so fast it's illegible. Automatic writing in cipher, for me, is more meditative and calmer than trying to use cursive, which comes out as a hurried scribble.

As I said, this is my first post apart from the intro. I'm not sure as to the rules for posting links or pictures, but there is a beautiful picture of my handmade witch board on my PaganSpace, which I think is under the name Meadow Sweet (or maybe Bramble. Or hell, I could have used my real name. I never check the damn thing, anyway...)

Eat your lawn.

#50 Zoe

Zoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

Very interesting..(and thanks for the articles, Sandy!) Does anyone know how I could make my own Ouija board and planchette? Broomflower's home-made Ouija board seems nice, but I was just wondering if anyone has any other ideas on how to make one...My mom would never let me buy one!

"My, what beautiful blossoms we have this year. But look, this one's late. But I'll bet that when it blooms, it will be the most beautiful of all."

Posted Image

#51 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:26 AM

Very interesting..(and thanks for the articles, Sandy!) Does anyone know how I could make my own Ouija board and planchette? Broomflower's home-made Ouija board seems nice, but I was just wondering if anyone has any other ideas on how to make one...My mom would never let me buy one!

Hello, Dear:

Just a suggestion, but if you are young enough that you have to get your mother's permission to buy anything, you may want to forgo the Ouija. No offense, but certain age ranges, especially the teen years, are vulnerable times.

Jevne

#52 Zoe

Zoe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:17 AM

Hello, Dear:

Just a suggestion, but if you are young enough that you have to get your mother's permission to buy anything, you may want to forgo the Ouija. No offense, but certain age ranges, especially the teen years, are vulnerable times.

Jevne

:embarased: :embarased: Well I'm 18..it's just the whole 'my house my rules' thing. -_- perhaps you are right though..I'm not sure I'm ready to try the ouija just yet. Thanks for your advice. x

"My, what beautiful blossoms we have this year. But look, this one's late. But I'll bet that when it blooms, it will be the most beautiful of all."

Posted Image

#53 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

:) Ok good post although I have to disagree with what you wrote above. A pentacle is absolutely not necessary and personally I would not feel comfortable "trapping" any spirit.

When I use my board they are free to come and go as they please. It is immoral to force them to stay.

Also I never call any spirit by name to come because I have no idea who might wish to come through that night. I ASK them their name when they are already here and I never know who they are until they come through.

Again I would NEVER summon any spirit to come from their realm to ours. Calling them to chat on the board is bad manners. They have jobs to do and again it is immoral to summon them. I would only ever ask/summon my ancestors to come if I need their help in an emergency.

If they come through invited but not summoned that is different because they came through on THEIR terms and time.

There are spirits everywhere, talk to the ones around you. They are around you for a reason and usually have something to say. If you keep calling and summoning those who are not already with you, it is very wrong and if they are not able to come then another spirit could come in place of them and lie to you.

Respect them and they will respect you. You should use the board ethically, morally, and with utmost respect.

:)

Bumping this thread and specifically this post as it speaks to something we were chatting about. :)

J

#54 Liathano

Liathano

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

I have a Ouija-Board for some months now, but I only used it twice. First time was with 2 witchy friends of mine. We did it with caution, respect and curiosity, but without any fear or expectations of horrorstorys to happen. We contacted two spirits who were willing two speak, but alas not all the answers were understable. Maybe we weren't always concentrated enough? Anyway, it was very interesting and not a second was something feeling wrong. The second time I tried it alone but absolutely nothing happened. Maybe I should give it another try, maybe there just wasn't a spirit there wanting to talk with me.

Funny thing is that the planchette is not very well made, therefore it wouldn't glide over the Board quite well, you have to force it. But when the spirits were there it was so easy and speedy, it was hard to keep the fingertips in touch with it. Which is lucky, because I thought I had to repair the thing.

Sorry for mistakes, I am not a native speaker!