• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

I recently ordered some mugwort seeds and plan to have a go at growing my own. In the meantime I thought it would be an idea to buy a young plant from somewhere to familiarise myself with it, but there is nowhere to get one from. So that tells me I need to be patient. I would be hesitant to ingest it in any way (and as for wormwood, I'm not even going there) but would like to investigate what I can do with placing the leaves in strategic places and generally having the plant around and familiarizing myself with the spirit. I suppose you could say I am very cautious in this area!

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#22 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

I learned a whole new level of respect for poisonous plants last spring. 

I've never gotten poison ivy.  I'm the moron that you see wading into it with shorts, flip flops and a pocket knife to clear it out.  So, we were cleaning the vines off the trees in the back, I identified vining poison oak, and continued on with the days chores.

It turns out, I have an anaphylactic reaction to poison oak.  Who knew?  I didn't. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#23 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

i commonly use a wormwood salve but its also got sagebrush and mugwort in it i use it as a flying ointment sometimes for bruises or as a oil when warmed for assistance in divination or necromancy

#24 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:17 AM

I recently made a 3 artemesia ointment, similar to what Levinthross mentioned that I think works quite well. Wormwood, Mugwort and Tarragon.

This works well as an aid for meditation, trance and dreaming and is also a great topical treatment for pain, to speed the healing of bruises and reduce inflammation.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#25 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:05 AM

Yes, you can smoke wormwood, and you can make alcohol tinctures for drinking. I love this plant and it's sister mugwort. It is similar to mugwort in its effects but a bit more intense. It is great for lucid dreaming and improved dream recall. It is useful for spirit work as it makes it easier to perceive the unseen. Thujone is the substance that supposedly causes the psychoactive effects of wormwood and mugwort. It is toxic in large amounts, and can build up in you system, so it is not recommended to use frequently. When mixed with alcohol the toxic effects are increased. Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) the ingredient used in the spirit absinthe that allegedly gives it its magickal and mythical properties. 

How often would you say it would be feasible to use without it causing harm?

#26 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

How often would you say it would be feasible to use without it causing harm?

You mean smoking it?

To be on the very safe side, I would say no more than once every 3 weeks. It will also depend on the dosages you use though.

#27 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:07 PM

You mean smoking it?

To be on the very safe side, I would say no more than once every 3 weeks. It will also depend on the dosages you use though.

Ah, ok thank you very much. Would that be the same if I drank it?

#28 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:46 AM

Ah, ok thank you very much. Would that be the same if I drank it?

In a tea or tincture? If it is tea then that is fine, a little more if you keep the dose low. Alway's try a small dose at first and see how you react.
If an alcohol tincture you'll want to be quite moderate, alcohol can increase toxic effects.

#29 Ozman

Ozman

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:23 AM

In a tea or tincture? If it is tea then that is fine, a little more if you keep the dose low. Alway's try a small dose at first and see how you react.
If an alcohol tincture you'll want to be quite moderate, alcohol can increase toxic effects.

Ah, I see, I'll keep that in mind, thank you for your insights and time. 

#30 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

Salves is a topic that I am learning more about... I didn't realise it is so easy!!

My goal is to make a belladonna salve.... I don't think that will be so easy :unsure:

I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.

#31 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

Salves is a topic that I am learning more about... I didn't realise it is so easy!!

My goal is to make a belladonna salve.... I don't think that will be so easy :unsure:

You would need to be very careful. I won't say much on that as this is in the public section. 

Check out the private forum for similar topics.

#32 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

Yeah I agree Sol I wasn't going to go into any detail, just stating a reason for interest in the post. I have had a lot of interaction with mw regarding my goals but if you want to add your advice then feel free to pm :handshake:

I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.