23 replies to this topic

#1 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

thinking of making wormwood salve.
I don't have a recipe so im making one up and need some critisism lol.

Steep dried wormwood in oil add to beeswax.

that it basically what do you think?

#2 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

Sounds workable!
It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#3 Guest_Lilly_*

Guest_Lilly_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Sounds completely reasonable to me

#4 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

This sounds just great, Spinney. Are or Did you use artemisia absinthium ? Ancient literature is full of praise for this herb. Yet I've only seen it referencing the "plant absintium ". Can you clarify this for me, or maybe Mountain Witch can, is there a difference between wormwood, and artemisia absinthium ? I was thinking about infusing bruised wormwood, into a carrier oil and using it that way. If you don't mind offering your view, what properties did the beeswax offer your salve ?

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#5 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:54 PM

This sounds just great, Spinney. Are or Did you use artemisia absinthium ? Ancient literature is full of praise for this herb. Yet I've only seen it referencing the "plant absintium ". Can you clarify this for me, or maybe Mountain Witch can, is there a difference between wormwood, and artemisia absinthium ? I was thinking about infusing bruised wormwood, into a carrier oil and using it that way. If you don't mind offering your view, what properties did the beeswax offer your salve ?

Regards,
Gypsy

Artemisia absinthium is indeed Wormwood. Cousin to another of our favorites, Mugwort, Artemisia vulgaris. CG, beeswax stiffens the oil, making it into a salve. Otherwise you just have an infused oil!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#6 Oceana's Moon

Oceana's Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

I'm curious hun, since this was from 2008. How did it turn out? And did you add anything to it such as lavender for scent?

"Success is a ladder to be climbed and you can't do it with your hands in your pockets."

#7 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:35 AM

Artemisia absinthium
is indeed Wormwood. Cousin to another of our favorites, Mugwort, Artemisia vulgaris. CG, beeswax stiffens the oil, making it into a salve. Otherwise you just have an infused oil!

Thank you M.Witch for weighing in on this, I needed to know if there was a difference and you clarified that for me. I'm grateful, I so suck at Latin ! lol !

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#8 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

YOu can also slow simmer wormwood in lard ina 1/1 cup proportion then add around 4 tbsp of beesewax to make it really thick has a really powerful scent this way
and is pretty quick.

#9 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

I'm going to try and make some wormwood salve/ointment. I have a shrub that is reaching tree like proportions and I am at a loss as to what to do with so much. Dry some, tincture some, salve some....the tree needs a prune so something has to be done with all the leftover. I'm a bit bad letting it get out of hand like this but I think it look awesome in its current feral state. I've not tried wormwood salve before by itself so it'll be interesting, although I am considering adding mugwort and going for an Artemisia vibe with it.

Attached Files

Edited by Stacey, 25 August 2014 - 06:50 AM.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#10 Watersiren

Watersiren

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:33 AM

That is one beautiful wormwood shrub!

As I am necro-ing this thread and it has been a year since its inception, any of you lovely folk managed to make some wormwood salve, how did it turn out and what use are you putting it to (if that is up for disclosure).

#11 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:49 AM

I'm also curious about this, anyone care to share?

#12 Watersiren

Watersiren

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

It's been a while... still curious here    :cauldron:

#13 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

IM curious as well. What is it used for?

#14 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

Was pretty curious of this, too, so I called a friend from ye olde tech-school botany class about it. She says she uses wormwood salve every so often to take care of the bruises she gets at work with great success. Apparently it's particularly good at keeping bruises from developing where you know you got banged up pretty hard, but that's probably only a bit of the good this plant had to offer. Beautiful specimen you've got there, Stacey~

Tell me strange things.

#15 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:24 PM

Wormwood salve would also be very helpful in reaching trance states. Wormwood is often an ingredient in Flying Ointment

#16 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:32 PM

Aah, I had wondered if, for that, whether smoking or ingesting the herb would be a better route? The word "salve" just immediately brings medicinal treatments to mind, for me. How would that go?

Tell me strange things.

#17 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:04 AM

Yes, you can smoke wormwood, and you can make alcohol tinctures for drinking. I love this plant and it's sister mugwort. It is similar to mugwort in its effects but a bit more intense. It is great for lucid dreaming and improved dream recall. It is useful for spirit work as it makes it easier to perceive the unseen. Thujone is the substance that supposedly causes the psychoactive effects of wormwood and mugwort. It is toxic in large amounts, and can build up in you system, so it is not recommended to use frequently. When mixed with alcohol the toxic effects are increased. Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) the ingredient used in the spirit absinthe that allegedly gives it its magickal and mythical properties. 

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#18 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:13 AM

When mixed with alcohol the toxic effects are increased. Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) the ingredient used in the spirit absinthe that allegedly gives it its magickal and mythical properties. 

Wow, had no idea that Wormwood was an ingredient in Absinthe.  That would explain a lot.

Be nice or go away!

#19 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

Wormwood is the difference between Absinthe and Pernod. So technically, if you add wormwood to Pernod you get absinthe. Don't, though.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#20 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:44 AM

@Christine, that makes perfect sense.  Don't worry, I won't be drinking wormwood infused Pernod anytime soon LOL

In fact I won't be drinking Pernod, yuk.

Be nice or go away!