The Thirteenth Warrior

Scott

By now you'd be forgiven for thinking that I am a tad off the hetero path with all these films having at least one truly stunning male lead. Not so. It is actually more to the point that I admire men who are men and women who are women and frankly am sick of seeing (to place it in a context) alleged HPS with muscles that make their HP rightly subservient fantasy addicts on parole.

The fact that I love stirring the modernists also made me love this film.

What can I say about a film that has Omar AND Antonio in the first few minutes!? And what about Antonio wandering off ith a band of gruff Norsemen to confront an evil onslaught of Goddess Cultists!?

I have no problems understanding why many wiccans really didn't like this film. It reminds us that one of the old primary accusations (and YES even BEFORE that foolishness that many still want people to believe was about us!) was the eating of human flesh. It amused me almost as much as hearing one wiccan extolling the virtues of a Tobsha Lerner (Sp?) story about a witch and her detachable penis by way of the statement "See? No evil witchcraft there!" When she was reminded that the stealing of male genitals was likewise one ofthe earliest forms of accusationa of maleficia there was a mighty silence.

Still apart from the occasional bit and bob that pedants wail and moan about, this film is LUSH and REALLY deserves to be on the well versed pagan/witch must watch list. The Arab is arabian, the Norsemen are Norse, the serr is mad, the Cultists are what early cult leaders SHOULD be ... and a fantastic score and excellent and intelligent scripting make this a treat.

Oh and ladies ... did I mention Omar and Antonio?

You know my hubby and I own this DVD and yes it is a damn good movie and I tend to agree that it is a must see for other pagans as well. Though I am not a true fan of Antonio...in this movie (also in his current one "Take The Lead") he proved he can be a good lead actor.

This is a great film, I agree, one that should be watched and enjoyed.

Lo do I see the face of my Father before me,

Lo do I see the face of my Mother, and my Brothers and Sisters,

Lo do I see the line of my people going back to the beginning, ...

• 6 months later...
Guest PhoenixDragonHeart

I completely agree that this movie is awesome. It should be a requirement in every home. :p

Well, this being one of the best "Beowulf spinoff" movies, i've only seen it about, oh, ten times!!!:D It was actually recommended to me by a professor of Germanic studies as one of the few cinematic creations which actually has authentic portrayals of nordic life in it (Hrothgar's hall etc is apparently pretty much spot on). Of course the presence of some rather handsome male actors in it also helps the whole thing along!;)

I've seen this several times and finally went ahead and bought it a couple of months ago. I like this movie for so many reasons! As an Arabian horse trainer, you can see the appeal to me. That little horse reminds me so much of my personal horse, "Intensified". Same plucky little tough guy with a heart of gold. I worked at a riding stable in AZ surrounded by tough old cowboys and their Quarter Horses last year. From day one they laughed and teased us constantly till we rode circles around them. Ha! Before I left they were begging to buy him. Not for sale.

Antonio played a good role too. I'm not a huge fan of his with the exception of his character, "Armand" (my gawd he was beautiful in that role). Those bad ass Norsemen were great and the story was awesome.

Would you believe that I actually saw this movie just the other night. I loved it. I now have the job of trying to track down the DVD.

StarChilde

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yup. Watch this movie regularly, mostly because it does portray a more realistic view of historical beliefs - that and its quite dark, without being a horror film.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My sons girlfriend bought this for me for christmas,,,,,,love the movie,,,now I can watch it anytime I want.

She also bought me Stardust which I have to sit this weekend and watch it.

• 2 months later...
I completely agree that this movie is awesome. It should be a requirement in every home. :p

My son got me this movie when it came out, and even now I still watch it on a regular basis.

• 3 weeks later...