- - - - -

Permission to dowse????

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_StagHeartWoman_*

Guest_StagHeartWoman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:42 AM

I went to a workshop on dowsing this weekend. It was great fun and we got to have a go with dowsing rods- the ones just made out of sticks and the metal ones with the wooden handles to swivel in as well as a pendulum (which is what I usually use).

But I was just a bit bemused because he said we have to ask permission to dowse first- say "can I dowse for such and such, may I... and should I...". I don't get what that's about at all, I can see the point of asking should I if it's dowsing a decision that maybe you'd be better off making yourself, but I don't understand may I because who are we supposed to be asking permission from?

Has anyone else heard of anything like this, what do you think? He said we'd be likely to get wrong answers if we don't do it so I don't just want to dismiss it out of hand.

Then all I need to do if find my pendulum, grrr I've lost it, I don't know how as I'm very careful with my stuff although I can't remember where I was keeping it as it's a while since I've had it out. I tried to dowse for it with a necklace but I couldn't get it to work.

#2 Jaime

Jaime

the cat's staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

Maybe the elemental spirits/energies of what your trying to find. Be nice to make friends with them as they could really help you out in finding whatever it is you're looking for.
:howl-moon:

Respect the Elders. Teach the Young. Cooperate with the Pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your Mark.

:Witch-1:

#3 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:03 PM

I have never asked may I or should I. When getting ready to use my pendulum I do ask if it is ready. My exact words are " are you ready to answer some questions?" I do find that if it says no when I ask that, I may as well wait. It won't cooperate.
Rebie

#4 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

Maybe the elemental spirits/energies of what your trying to find. Be nice to make friends with them as they could really help you out in finding whatever it is you're looking for.

I tend to agree here with Jamie, asking assistance from the spirits/energies, but I am not sure I would state it in a [ may I ] fashion. The only one I can think of asking in such a manor would be the property owner if you are on someone elses land and ask permission to be there.

I do the same as Rebie with my pendulum, ask if it is ready, if a no comes or nothing then I need to wait, because if I do get answers they usually not correct. I learned that many years ago as a test when I first started working with pendulums.

#5 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

Well, we are asking to use the elements for our benefit. Sometimes there be a negative answer because what you are looking for just isn't there. While I am not a Wiccan goddess believing person, the elements are very important to me.
It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#6 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

Has anyone else heard of anything like this, what do you think? He said we'd be likely to get wrong answers if we don't do it so I don't just want to dismiss it out of hand.

I have heard of this. It seems to be common practice in the BSD. :P

#7 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

I have heard of this. It seems to be common practice in the BSD. :P

Interesting site. Thanks Ancestral Celt.
Rebie

#8 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

I should have pointed out that its not something I do - ask permission. I have also heard of tarot readers asking permission; though I don't know from whom or what they seek such permission or for what purpose. :stars:

#9 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:41 PM

I was taught dowsing with copper rods from my grandfather...and have never to this day needed to ask permission and never have, I ask my question and go along my merry way...to be honest I hadnt really heard of the practice of asking permission!

I can understand asking elements for help and guidance, but i can't understand asking "may I" or "should I" to dowsing rods or whatever and whoever in question, unless you personally think it is important yourself :)

As everyone else has said do what feels right for you ^^

"My church is not of silver and gold,
Its glory lies beyond judgement of souls
The commandments are of consolation & warmth
You know our sacred dream won't fail
The sanctury tender and so frail
The sacrament of love
The sacrament of warmth is true
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#10 Jaime

Jaime

the cat's staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:58 AM

Just wanted to clarify that I don't mean asking permission here. Any help is good help is all....:party9:

:howl-moon:

Respect the Elders. Teach the Young. Cooperate with the Pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your Mark.

:Witch-1:

#11 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:50 AM

I went to a workshop on dowsing this weekend. It was great fun and we got to have a go with dowsing rods- the ones just made out of sticks and the metal ones with the wooden handles to swivel in as well as a pendulum (which is what I usually use).

But I was just a bit bemused because he said we have to ask permission to dowse first- say "can I dowse for such and such, may I... and should I...". I don't get what that's about at all, I can see the point of asking should I if it's dowsing a decision that maybe you'd be better off making yourself, but I don't understand may I because who are we supposed to be asking permission from?

Then all I need to do if find my pendulum, grrr I've lost it, I don't know how as I'm very careful with my stuff although I can't remember where I was keeping it as it's a while since I've had it out. I tried to dowse for it with a necklace but I couldn't get it to work.

IMHO, that sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. When I did use my pendulum or any other method I never asked permission

#12 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

IMHO, that sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. When I did use my pendulum or any other method I never asked permission

Well, as I admited in my eariler post that I would ask if my pendulum was ready, last night it was I used my pendulum to check my chakras and it worked just fine without asking. Ok I learned from a book that's older than I am - it was published in 56 - but I never thought about it until this post and I never asked any other method I used permission.

Startella

#13 Guest_StagHeartWoman_*

Guest_StagHeartWoman_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

He did mention being active in his local dowsers group so I'd guess he's a member of the aforementioned association.

Still can't find my pendulum, I hope I didn't chuck it out in my recent clearout by mistake. I don't want another one, I want that one <pouts> LOL. I tried dowsing for it but the necklace just won't talk to me!

#14 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:35 PM

Still can't find my pendulum, I hope I didn't chuck it out in my recent clearout by mistake. I don't want another one, I want that one <pouts> LOL. I tried dowsing for it but the necklace just won't talk to me!

Then select something else to use as a temporary pendulum. Or, find yourself a spider.

#15 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

Wow...I never heard of that...I dowse a lot...I better start asking lol

#16 Guest_thorn_*

Guest_thorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

Never heard of this at all, never asked permission, never had any problems.

#17 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:21 PM

My friend John does ask permission to dowse, he is in his late 70's and has been involved with the occult for many years, I don't question his practices and he doesn't question mine(though im sure he has a few things to say, he's very protective) we both know they are valid. So I think it comes down to how you have been taught.

#18 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:04 PM

I've always heard that the answers that come from a pendulum are deep down inside ourselves. That we are the true divinators. So, I've always come to believe that they are answers from my psyche that is completely unbiased from emotional attachment. I've never asked for permission but then again, I've never heard of this practice. I have used my pendulum to talk to my dead ancestors at Samhain time and various spirits at other times. Is this when you ask? I guess that could be replaced by the fact that I do say thank you after each reading. It just seems appropriate.

I do believe there is a raven spirit that helps me with my animal tarot and I do say thank you after these readings as well as it seems appropriate. I believe its the raven because every time I ask who is my spirit guide with the deck, out of the 33 cards I draw the raven. And most often when I do a reading the raven is my first card.

#19 Greenfeet

Greenfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:36 PM

I would be curious as to who the instructor believed he was asking permission from, and why. But then I have a facination for any bits of folklore that survive. I don't believe every bit of folklore I hear, just am curious as to what information it is passing on from the old ones.

#20 Susan

Susan

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:22 AM

I'm just new to the group, but as a child I remember my mother dowsing. Could anyone tell me more. I believe she used a Willow Switch. Thanks...Susan