Photo
- - - - -

Herbs for 'Grounding'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Autumn

Autumn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hi
Wonder if any herb lovers out there can help me with this query please. I'm very new to herbs but am strongly drawn to it - have just ordered the Scott Cunningham Magical Herbs and the David Hoffman Holistic Herbs, as recommended by many others on the forums.

After a discussion I had with Sandy about constantly feeling spaced out I realised I need to do some serious work on my Base Chakra and along with meditations I wondered if I could burn some herbs to help the process. Can anyone recommend herbs that could help me ground myself? I read somewhere that Benzoin resin is good for this? It was suggested that one could carry grounding herbs around with them in a red pouch to help when you need a 'quick fix' and this seemed like a good idea to me. I'm going to try taking my shoes and socks off during my walk home through the woods tonight and try a grounding exercise (the one where you visualise roots growing from your feet through the earth, if it doesn't rain first!)

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

#2 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:57 AM

Can anyone recommend herbs that could help me ground myself? I read somewhere that Benzoin resin is good for this? It was suggested that one could carry grounding herbs around with them in a red pouch to help when you need a 'quick fix' and this seemed like a good idea to me.
Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Autumn, I did a little checking and Benzoin Gum is good for grounding and stablilizing, plus Black Walnut, Boneset, Oak Moss, Sassafras, Styrax Gum, Vetivert herb - all these are good for grounding and most also are stablilizing and or strenghtening properties too. I hope this helps.

#3 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:21 AM

:cauldron:I also believe that Sandlewood and Sage are also good. I use sandlewood alot. Love the scent and it seems to ground me pretty good. But I don't use herbs, I use oils. Just my preference.
Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#4 Autumn

Autumn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

Fantastic, thank you Startella & Morgana - that's extremely helpful. Every time I tried to search on the internet for 'grounding' herbs, it came back with info about 'grinding' herbs!

I will definitely be putting an order in for some of your suggestions. I'm really excited about working with herbs and not just for magical purposes by also for making therapeutic teas and such :eheheh:

Thanks again :thumbsup:

#5 Greenfeet

Greenfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

Plants used for grounding- I think it is probably different for different people depending on your relationship with certain plants, your particular needs etc. Though there are a couple plants that are often used for grounding in a number traditions, sage is one of them.

I use sage for grounding. I like to burn it. If I am somewhere I can't burn my herbs and I need it now, I will just rub it in my hand and smell it.

Try a few suggestions and see what works best for you.

#6 Autumn

Autumn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

Plants used for grounding- I think it is probably different for different people depending on your relationship with certain plants, your particular needs etc. Though there are a couple plants that are often used for grounding in a number traditions, sage is one of them.

I use sage for grounding. I like to burn it. If I am somewhere I can't burn my herbs and I need it now, I will just rub it in my hand and smell it.

Great, thanks for that Greenfeet. I have a good collection of different herbs now, including sage, so will experiment and see which work best for me personally :D

#7 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

I like how my Peer here, uses the " touch " of the herb to ground. Depending on the amount one has, in my experiance certain herbs have more of a voice than other herbs, when I touch them. Even just taking a pinch and rubbing that small amount in one's palms would be beneficial. I also admire how my Peer here, has a relationship with the herb.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#8 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

Great, thanks for that Greenfeet. I have a good collection of different herbs now, including sage, so will experiment and see which work best for me personally :D

Dear Autumn,
I always put a few leaves of sage in my tea; I feel it calms me down! I simply put them in my mug along with a teabag and sugar, but you can also boil some water, add the sage and then the teabag and the sugar and boil it all for a while. Great for stomach pains as well!
Hope this helps,
Kind regs,
Heks

"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#9 Danica Victoria Nemesis

Danica Victoria Nemesis

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

Sandalwood, sage, patchouli, cedar, and lavender are my go to's. I drool when I have a fresh smudge stick with grandmother sage and cedar branches. Sandalwood is awesome when I am trying to get my son to bed while he is teething. A good chamomile sage tea with some honey and lemon will help calm and balance (as well as knock out any cold I may have). Melissa extract (lemon balm) is good as well, also helping with clarity. Book wise I would definitely suggest Sybil Leek's works.

#10 FoxnFeather

FoxnFeather

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

My favourite grounding technique has always been to just go outside, usually in the morning, and dig my hands into the soil and smell the damp cold earth. I have a thyme bush out side which is my all time favourite herb for grounding (and most other things), all I need to do is brush it the smell is so strong.

I don't usually burn my herbs but recently I have been burning pine needles and twigs (from our'deceased' xmas tree) which gives of a wonderful 'forest like' smelling smoke, at some point I want to try and make an oil out of the pine needles if I find the time, that’s usually how I prepare my herbs for a magical use.

#11 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Any herbal tisane or tea recipes to share in relation to "grounding". I just did some powerful spell work (literally not too long ago today) and my usual grounding techniques are not cutting it. Curious if there is a herbal remedy as close as my kitchen?? Thanks.

#12 ShadowKing

ShadowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Any herbal tisane or tea recipes to share in relation to "grounding". I just did some powerful spell work (literally not too long ago today) and my usual grounding techniques are not cutting it. Curious if there is a herbal remedy as close as my kitchen?? Thanks.

Are you looking for a sedative or something to make you more earthy ?

"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! " -Endora

#13 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Rosemary does it for me, I don't know if you can do that as a tea or not.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#14 ShadowKing

ShadowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

Rosemary does it for me, I don't know if you can do that as a tea or not.

What a wonderful idea both relaxing and protective. I've had lavender but not rosemary. What is it like ?

"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! " -Endora

#15 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

What a wonderful idea both relaxing and protective. I've had lavender but not rosemary. What is it like ?

Its rather earthy, I think, being a pine type spice, and most have it in their cupboard. A little steeped in water smells great. I figure its safe to put in soup stock and stuff so its okay for a drink, its not totally yummy, but it kinda makes me feel planted.

"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#16 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

I use different methods for grounding, for different emotions, I'll admit, I'm human and sometimes a big long SCREAM will pull me back to my good senses. A good up from the belly, Scream.

Rue put in a seep helps me as one of my teas, I'm way passed the child bearing age, so a cup of Rue tea, at time suffices.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1