Carnivale

Lela

Did anyone watch Carniv?le on HBO? It was such an amazing show. It only ran for two short season which left its loyal viewers with a million unanswered questions. It was the most addicting show I ever got hooked on. Each week the story line was more twisted than the week before. I couldn't get enough of it.

I'm pretty bad at describing things, but here is a description of the storyline which I copied from Wikipedia:

Carniv?le take place in the Depression-era dust bowl between 1934 and 1935, and consist of two main plotlines that slowly converge. The first involves a young man with strange healing powers named Ben Hawkins, who joins a traveling carnival when it passes near his home in Milfay, Oklahoma. Soon thereafter, Ben begins having surreal dreams and visions, which set him on the trail of a man named Henry Scudder, a drifter who crossed paths with the carnival many years before, and who apparently possessed unusual abilities similar to Ben's own.

The second plotline revolves around a Father Coughlin-esque Methodist preacher, Brother Justin Crowe, who lives with his sister Iris in California. He shares Ben's prophetic dreams and slowly discovers the extent of his own unearthly powers, which include bending human beings to his will and making their sins and greatest evils manifest in the form of terrifying visions. Certain that he is doing God's work, Brother Justin fully devotes himself to his religious duties, not realizing that his ultimate nemesis Ben Hawkins and the carnival are inexorably drawing closer.

Besides being visually stunning, it was so well written and had an amazing cast which brought the story to life. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommed you check it out. I think that it is still shown on HBO, if not it is available on DVD.

Guest Rebie
Did anyone watch Carniv?le on HBO? It was such an amazing show. It only ran for two short season which left its loyal viewers with a million unanswered questions. It was the most addicting show I ever got hooked on. Each week the story line was more twisted than the week before. I couldn't get enough of it.

I'm pretty bad at describing things, but here is a description of the storyline which I copied from Wikipedia:

Carniv?le take place in the Depression-era dust bowl between 1934 and 1935, and consist of two main plotlines that slowly converge. The first involves a young man with strange healing powers named Ben Hawkins, who joins a traveling carnival when it passes near his home in Milfay, Oklahoma. Soon thereafter, Ben begins having surreal dreams and visions, which set him on the trail of a man named Henry Scudder, a drifter who crossed paths with the carnival many years before, and who apparently possessed unusual abilities similar to Ben's own.

The second plotline revolves around a Father Coughlin-esque Methodist preacher, Brother Justin Crowe, who lives with his sister Iris in California. He shares Ben's prophetic dreams and slowly discovers the extent of his own unearthly powers, which include bending human beings to his will and making their sins and greatest evils manifest in the form of terrifying visions. Certain that he is doing God's work, Brother Justin fully devotes himself to his religious duties, not realizing that his ultimate nemesis Ben Hawkins and the carnival are inexorably drawing closer.

Besides being visually stunning, it was so well written and had an amazing cast which brought the story to life. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommed you check it out. I think that it is still shown on HBO, if not it is available on DVD.

I saw a couple of shows a while back. Since I missed the very begining, I had a hard time understanding what was going on. So, I didnt continue to watch it. IF it is on DVD, I might try to see it from the begining.

Rebie

Since I missed the very begining, I had a hard time understanding what was going on.

It is definitely not a show you can just start watching in the middle of the season, because if you're not familiar with the storyline from the beginning, forget it, nothing is going to make sense.

My co-worker and I would talk about it for hours after each episode aired to try to figure it out, and to this day I still have a million unanswered questions. Damn those HBO blockheads for cancelling the show!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Eglentyn
It is definitely not a show you can just start watching in the middle of the season, because if you're not familiar with the storyline from the beginning, forget it, nothing is going to make sense.

My co-worker and I would talk about it for hours after each episode aired to try to figure it out, and to this day I still have a million unanswered questions. Damn those HBO blockheads for cancelling the show!

I was addicted to the first series...fantastic opening titles..it was some time ago now but I remember the preacher being one of my favourite characters. I also enjoyed some one upmanship with my husband, who was totally bamboozeld by it, even though he claimed to follow perfectly that other very confusing show, Twin Peaks. I never saw the second series, I'm not even sure it was shown over here...what happened?

• 1 year later...

Old post, but just had to say - this is one of my favorite shows of all time and was horribly underrated! I could not believe they would cancel something as amazing as this!

• 3 months later...

I've heard of it, and then now THANKS to Neveah, my memory is pleasantly jostled again. I will definately look for this in DVD, as the winter months up here are oh so very long and brutal.

Regards,

Gypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy

I am just pleased to see people who remember it and were as sad to see it not return as I was. Looks like we are not the only ones who want it back...lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3100[/ATTACH]

3099_thumb.attach

3100_thumb.attach

Edited by Nevaeh