Other Temples Other Gods

Scott

Other Temples Other Gods by Nevill Drury and Gregory Tillett is an invalubale text that gives not only information on but a genuine taste of the flavour of early stages of occultism in Australia.

Australia is an interesting area for the case study of the rise of occultism and witchcraft in the later 20th Century. Australia by it's nature being heavily muticultural, it has been a fertile harvest pasture for all manner of religious, mystical and occult mystery based persuasions. Being something of a "frontier" it has also given rise to some of the more fantastic, "free form" and "hard and fast" forms of ritual and mystical practice as well as their proponents.

Famous names a plenty and their connections you will find in this text: Balavatsky, Olcott, Lead beater, Besant, Bennet, Gardner, Sanders, Buckland, Pielke (who is in a picture with a dear friend and old naighbour of mine!) Kulkens, Hartridge, a whole chapter on dear Roie Norton, Lloyd and Moor (another friend of mine) but to my mind even better than Nev's now legendary ability to colate information and still keep it entertaining, is the flavour. This book has the vibe of it's day. Produced by Methuen in 1980 is very well converys the feel of the earlier days of occultism in Australia which has actually only recently repealed some of it's witchcraft and occult related laws (indeed in practice some still linger!)

A fabulous treasury of plates and informative text for those who are interested in Australian Counter Culture History or those who are intrigued to see how some of the older things have adapted to a new world, some copies of this can still be found at reasonable prices to the diligent bibliophile (though I *DO* reccomend the use of the Aradia spell to that end! lol)

Now books that fully discuss and review the vast amounts of different rituals is always a must have in my collection. I love the examine different cultures and how they do their rituals.

Greetings A.W

Continuing in the "if you liked this you should like this" palaver ... I would heartily reccomend Four New World Yoruba Rituals by John Mason. Not only for the trutly staggering amount of information it contains but also for the history it provides displaying a startling concurrence with some of the modern sciological and heirachial developments of the last thirty years ....

Fraternally

Scott

Hidden
Now books that fully discuss and review the vast amounts of different rituals is always a must have in my collection. I love the examine different cultures and how they do their rituals.

Test post

• 8 months later...

I just got this book (ordered it of ebay). It arrived this morning. I know I'm ressurecting an ancient post, but I since searching for information on the book is how I found this forum, I had to share my glee with y'all. :)

Archived