Secret Teachings of All Ages

Scott

The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. Hall is a stunning jewel.

Now I want to say that it is an amazing read. That it is absolutely so packed with information on so many subjects that it makes most modern texts look like the pamphlet mentioned in Flaying High ("Do you have any light reading? " "How about this leaflet - Famous Jewish Sports Legends ..") I want to tell you that it will take you an age to read an maybe actually be the sort of book that you will come back to over the years and try to wrap your head around - discovering something you hadn't noted every time.

But you know what? Even though all of those things are UNDENIABLE - that is not what you, (like me) will remember. You will remember above all else that it is simply one of the most beautiful books you will ever encounter.

More properly called: An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy - Being an Interpretation of the Secret Teachings concealed within the Rituals, Allegories and Mysteries of all Ages first released in 1928; this fantastic all purpose reference is available in hard and soft back. The Hard cover I have seen retailing for a couple of hundred dollars while the paper back is far more reasonable. Either copy is a treasure trove of the most exquisite diagrams and reproductions accompanied by thoughtful and well argued text.

Go to your local library and sit down with this grand duke of occult text and I will be shocked to my core if it doesn't bewitch you as it did me. At teh end of the day easily one of the most beautiful and brain rending texts I have ever encountered.

Greetings A.W

If you like that you will also want to source a copy of "Codex Rosae Crucis" (A Rare and Curious Manuscript of Rosicrucian Interest) D.O.M.A. A recent hardcover reprint of the 1938 is a precious document that tends to illuminate many of the more philosophical aspects by precedent in other kindred field. It is the original in German and a translation in English page by page (in the same style) with the same illustrations. Manly had a hand here too ... not surprising really.

Fraternally

Scott

• 4 years later...

Bought this book on Kindle for 2.99. :) Mainly for the information on the masonic practices, as this is something I've studied quite a bit and wanted to see if there was anything new gone over about the Freemasons in this book that I hadn't already come across. I have extensive Mason and Eastern Star connections in my family so its a subject that interests me.

Bought this book on Kindle for 2.99. :) Mainly for the information on the masonic practices, as this is something I've studied quite a bit and wanted to see if there was anything new gone over about the Freemasons in this book that I hadn't already come across. I have extensive Mason and Eastern Star connections in my family so its a subject that interests me.

I also enjoy reading about this subject, or watching documentories on them, facinating!! Please let us know your take on the book!!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me please how involved, if at all, are freemasons/freemasonry involved with the occult/esoterica and/ or witchcraft?

I have read that they are, in some way, practitioners of some kind, but only from a negative, xtian viewpoint.

My interest is personal, as both my father and grandfather were freemasons.

(off to amazon to see if i can find the paperback version Scott recomends)

Thankyou

Elvira

Edited to say I have just ordered the book, get it friday!

Edited by Elvira

Can anyone tell me please how involved, if at all, are freemasons/freemasonry involved with the occult/esoterica and/ or witchcraft?

I can't speak from personal experience (women can't join the Masons and I just can't see myself joining the Eastern Star [gag]):

A friend was initiated into the Masons a few years ago. Those are "open to the public" so to speak. The initiate can invite two people other than his spouse to watch him get his little apron. It reminded me soooo much of a ceremonial magic ritual! I can't remember a single Bible verse being read but the 'taking of vows' and tools passed around with specific verbiage going along with the passing just smacked of ceremonial magic.

Legend (ahem) has it that they grew out of the Knights Templar, tracing their roots back to the mason that oversaw the building of the Temple of Solomon. If you look closely at some of their symbols, they have occult significance. My understanding is some of their rituals also have occult leanings - albeit with a huge Christian overtone. I've got a book around here somewhere that talks about the Masons. I'll try to find it and give you the title.

The History Channel also did a program or two on the Masons a couple of years ago. You can probably find that on the 'Net.

As far as witchcraft goes, no. No spells or anything like that.

(And now you've got me thinking. Whatever happened to my grandfather's Masonic ring? I wonder if my uncle has it or if it was buried with him.)

Very. Many of your mystical initiation traditions (Mormons, Wiccans, Golden Dawn, etc. etc.) have 'borrowed' the structure of their ceremonies and some of their philosophies from Freemasonry.

If you look around online you can find some descriptions, with pictures, of the initiation ceremony. Like MW said though, not quite witchcraft.

Masons have a lot of ceremony and esoteric teachings though not necessarily breaching magical territory, though the Masons and Golden Dawn have oft been quite close in means and methods. Many people initiated into one have an easier time being introduced into the other.

Though there can also be heavy regional bias and differences.

As promised:

The Masonic Myth: Unlocking the Truth About the Symbols, the Secret Rites, and the History of Freemasonry by Jay Kinney. ISBN 978-0060822569

At least, it's one take on it but since he is a practicing Mason, it's an interesting read.

I liked that one too.

The Hiram Key by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas is another interesting one on the symbolism of Freemasonry. They make some, umm ... 'random' connections between the Freemasons, Egyptians, and christianity, and have gotten a lot of criticism from academic historical groups, but still, both authors are initiated masons and tell a lot about the rituals and inner workings of the groups and their conclusions are just their opinion. Its a very interesting book, but not for anyone who doesn't want to read anything that mentions Jesus, or is not strictly academic.

I have seen these shows that MW mentioned on the history channel, there was an entire series I believe. It's a bit OT, but it's interesting to note that many US Presidents were members of this organization. thinking.gif

Also many of the 'founding fathers' of the US...

Thank you all so much for your replies.

MW, I find the "link" between the masons and the knights templar very interesting, and will follow that up as soon as I can. I have to confess to being a history geek, particularly english/european medieval history and read anything I can about the knights templars!

Thankyou too for the book details: The Masonic Myth: Unlocking the Truth About the Symbols, the Secret Rites, and the History of Freemasonry by Jay Kinney. ISBN 978-0060822569, it shall go on my wish list with amazon.

I shall also search the 'net' for the programme by the History Channel.

Aloe, thankyou, I think I have heard of, but not read The Hiram Key by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas, another one for my wish list :)

Am right in thinking that on the American dollar are various masonic symbols? Does this tie in with your founding fathers theory at all and the US presidents Brigid mentions?

8people, I didn't know there were regional biases, how curious!

Fascinating stuff (to me), thankyou for all your replies, LadyS, am heading over to Sacred Texts shortly.

Elvira

Am right in thinking that on the American dollar are various masonic symbols? Does this tie in with your founding fathers theory at all and the US presidents Brigid mentions?

Elvira

Yes, the eye in the pyramid is Masonic in origin. There are others but I can't come up with them off the top of my head. And yes, it does tie in with the fact that a good proportion of the founding fathers were Masons.

For a fun read, The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown incorporates a lot of Masonic "myth".

Yes, the eye in the pyramid is Masonic in origin. There are others but I can't come up with them off the top of my head. And yes, it does tie in with the fact that a good proportion of the founding fathers were Masons.

For a fun read, The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown incorporates a lot of Masonic "myth".

I've read all of Dan Browns books, and really enjoyed them :) Although to be honest The Lost Symbol is the only one I can't remember much about. I shall have to dig it out and re-read. I know the snobby intellectuals (sp?) of this world ridicule them but i thought they were a brilliant, and fun read. ( I would love to know just how true The de Vinci Code is!!)

Elvira

Does this tie in with your founding fathers theory at all and the US presidents Brigid mentions?

Hey just a quick note, several of the founding fathers being a mason is actually a documented fact. ;)

I don't know anything about this website, but the information about which of the signers of the constitution were freemasons is in line with other research I've done on them.

http://bessel.org/constmas.htm

You might be interested in looking into how many of the generals that served under George Washington were documented freemasons also... As you can probably tell this is a subject I get obsessive about researching... :red_witch:

Hey just a quick note, several of the founding fathers being a mason is actually a documented fact. ;)

I don't know anything about this website, but the information about which of the signers of the constitution were freemasons is in line with other research I've done on them.

http://bessel.org /constmas.htm

You might be interested in looking into how many of the generals that served under George Washington were documented freemasons also... As you can probably tell this is a subject I get obsessive about researching... :red_witch:

Please, do not ever be embarrassed about researching something that interests you, i'm the same, especially with medieval history.

I've just looked at the website you suggested, and its made me wonder whether our (uk) goverment would be so open about our prime ministers. I shall try and find out :smile:

When I was a teen I was involved in a program for young women through the Masons. We met at the Masonic temple once a week. There were paintings of the Founding Fathers in their aprons and Masonic "gear" as well as actual photographs of some presidents in theirs. There were also more prominent figures that'd I'd probably recognize now but didn't then though they were named for me. This was 12 years ago, though, so I don't really remember specific names.

Edited to add: a bit of what I am referring to here- http://www.eburgmasons.com/35famousmasons.htm

Edited by Maggie-in-the-Mead