Iron rich foods

LadyHawk

I've been eating tons of raw spinach and anything else I can think of thats rich in iron as I'm severely anaemic ( I needed three units of whole blood last week).

I don't eat dairy or red meat and because I'm diabetic I can't eat offal either, so any help would be much appreciated. :)

Hi .. I used to be anaemic and I used to eat loads of iron rich foods but nothing helped. Until I found out that you should eat or drink anything that has Vitamin C in it with your iron meals. The Vit C actually helps your body to absorb the iron. It worked for me and I haven't had iron related problems since (and that was 20 odd years ago) :)

xx

Unless your'e a vegetarian, there is no reason you cannot eat Dairy or red meat as a diabetic. The red meat just has to be cooked well, and sometimes loses in the translation. Don't forget beats and beet greens. Beets are FULL of iron.

Interesting.....after I had Sean, the doctor told me to take iron pills so I wouldn't become anemic. I was also taking at the time Vit C, E and a multi. Now I know why I'm so damn healthy.....still take all the above and a B, and a couple others. When I got the flu this year it was very mild and I got over it in about 6 days. Guess I'll keep this up!!! :mdance:

Thanks for all that guys. My anaemia is'nt due to poor diet but severe bleeding, I should have been clearer....sorry.

I don't eat red meats or dairy because I don't like them....over here offal...liver, kidneys etc are a no no if you are diabetic because of the high cholestorol content.

I do take vit c along with my iron tabs but I just wondered if there were any other foods I could try.

What are beets? Are they part of the beetroot group? I have never heard of them or the greens but I'll have a search :thanks:

Archived