Photo
- - - - -

Rae Beth: Hedge Witches Way

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_dawnmedos_*

Guest_dawnmedos_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:18 AM

first i love the term hedge witch- because its so connected with the german
word for witch- hexe, hexe has ists roots in the german word for hedge (hecke).

but i donīt liked the hedge witch book from her- it was much to whitewashed, light filled and mainstream.:cry_witch:

#22 Heathen1

Heathen1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

first i love the term hedge witch- because its so connected with the german
word for witch- hexe, hexe has ists roots in the german word for hedge (hecke).

but i donīt liked the hedge witch book from her- it was much to whitewashed, light filled and mainstream.:cry_witch:

Yes, for me who defines my path as the path of the Hedgewitch and all the other ways to spell it with hedgerider,myrkrider and all the ways to spell THAT, Rae Beth's book has nothing to do with reality, which is why plenty of people read it and love it. She writes about a religious path, not a CRAFTING path. It's sort of like a hollywood version of a witch, vanilla'ed to death. Wiccan's don't cross the hedge, they like to bring their gods down to earth. Hedgeriders like to cross to other worlds. Wiccans like to become better people. As I was told by a Wiccan once, "I don't care about anything that doesn't make me a better person". I can just picture a hedgewitch being concerned about that! Right, mate.

#23 Guest_lusete_*

Guest_lusete_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:14 AM

I am glad I read this... I have been thinking perhaps I should buy this book as it seems so popular on the Amazon website!!!

Now I won't be buying it. I don't need a religious path... I need practical advice!

Lusete )o(

#24 rosielj

rosielj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

I sent away for a Rae Beth book a long time ago, think it was just called "Hedge Witch" which I thought might be interesting.I skimmed through it but was very disappointed by it. It was mainly full of her own poems and blessed be's all over the place!.....not for me at all!

#25 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

I have quite liked this book, though I have only read what is available on google books (the first few chapters) http://books.google....tsec=frontcover
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#26 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

I am glad I read this... I have been thinking perhaps I should buy this book as it seems so popular on the Amazon website!!!

Now I won't be buying it. I don't need a religious path... I need practical advice!

Lusete )o(

You gotta watch Amazon books, because even though it might get an awesome rating-five stars etc..you must check to see who is doing the reviewing of the book. Most of the time it's a wiccan giving great ratings to a wiccan book. I have been sucked in many a time this way to. I have also come across the opposite. Books that get crap reviews from the wiccans are sometimes exactly what your looking for.

#27 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

You gotta watch Amazon books, because even though it might get an awesome rating-five stars etc..you must check to see who is doing the reviewing of the book. Most of the time it's a wiccan giving great ratings to a wiccan book. I have been sucked in many a time this way to. I have also come across the opposite. Books that get crap reviews from the wiccans are sometimes exactly what your looking for.

That's why I read all the reviews. Some of them are accurate. It always depends on what you are looking for in a book. Recently I've closed several doors. Now I am opening them and seeing what I can take from them. I do believe in Gods. So they may be involved with my craft work.

A crooked path is one where changes can lead you any where-this is my current path

#28 Guest_lusete_*

Guest_lusete_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

It is very hard... sometimes you rely on reviews, but as you said... it all depends on WHO is doing the review!

Lusete )o(

#29 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

Have read the book, didnt like it myself.. however...

Personally....I think you should read the books, wiccan or not. I think part of learning a trad path is being able to distinguish between the two. Also you can find snippets of useful information in the most unlikely places.

My thoughts exactly..

#30 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:20 PM

I had a load of books that were of wiccan flavor, which I sold to a used bookstore this year about 69 of them. I have only bought two books in the last nine years, out of about 7 that did not have a wiccan flavor to them and I keep them because they have some good info on herbs and such.. I can over look the wiccan aspects in them. Because of my disappointment in the market I don't go out and look anymore for books, I have only 5 books on my wish list.. I have just quit buying books.

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#31 Deb13b

Deb13b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:38 AM

Experience has taught me to check out the reviews and the reviewers on amazon !

However these books often have things in them that can be helpful, even if it is just to help confirm that it's not quite the path you follow & send you off on another tangent of learning.

Edited by Deb13b, 23 December 2008 - 06:41 PM.

#32 Guest_GreenJack_*

Guest_GreenJack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

Sarasuperid - 'Hedge-Rider' by Eric De Vries landed on my doormat this morning - will let you know what I think when I've read it.

I'm afraid I didn't get far through Rae Beth's Hedgewith either - I found it boring & wiccan too. I think listed it on ebay then went & did some weeding instead.

Jack :gumbert:

#33 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

Sarasuperid - 'Hedge-Rider' by Eric De Vries landed on my doormat this morning - will let you know what I think when I've read it.

Ooh was just looking at this please do write a review in the book section xx