Photo
- - - - -

Rae Beth: Hedge Witches Way

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

I just recently finished reading the book: Wiccan Path by Rae Beth, and in the UK/England it is known as Hedge Witches Way. I personally loved the book. It was all about prayer and simple rituals. No complex tools or anything. She brings up the topic of spirit guides and journey to the "other worlds". I found it a nice change from all the books on "Wicca" out there. Personally I give it 3 stars.

http://tinyurl.com/yocoo2

She has another book on the same subject that I'm interested in buying. Though I have a mountain of other books that I plan on reading through first. It's on the list. Any one else read this books or her other book on the same subject?

#2 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:00 PM

I didn't enjoy this book. For me it was too God and Goddess related, which doesn't particulary sit well with me .. plus it bored me to tears. lol
Posted Image
A Traditional Poker Posted Image (poke it with a stick and see what happens)
"Most important things in life; Good Food, Good Wine, Good Sex and a Damn Good Giggle!" Posted Image
Visit my Website: www.sandycristel.com
Visit my BLOG: www.blog.sandycristel.com
Follow me on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/SandyCristel

#3 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

We all have our own views an opinions. I bought that book a long time ago, and just now read it.

#4 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

Absolutely, and I am sure many more people on here have read the book as well - will be interesting what others think of it.
Posted Image
A Traditional Poker Posted Image (poke it with a stick and see what happens)
"Most important things in life; Good Food, Good Wine, Good Sex and a Damn Good Giggle!" Posted Image
Visit my Website: www.sandycristel.com
Visit my BLOG: www.blog.sandycristel.com
Follow me on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/SandyCristel

#5 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

I think what I liked most about it was that it was so much different from any other book on Witchcraft I had read. It never even mentions Wicca in the book (as far as I can remember). Though you do have a good point on the God and Goddess thing.

#6 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:46 PM

I bought it, read it once and never again. It will be on ebay shortly

Being the straightforward person I am. I found it too wiccany and yes boring too. Don't get me wrong I think we can glean bits and pieces of information from some wiccan books and twist it to our own uses but this is not one of them.
It served the purpose of making me absolutely sure i was not following that path and lead me to here in a round about way.

I think the US name does match the book more than the UK title ,either that or it should have a big bunny on the front:bunny3:

#7 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

While I prefer to call myself a goddess, I don't really worship them. OR gods.
Nor do I use their names in any spell work. If i'm going to do something, I must do it under my own steam and not lend any other entity the blame.

It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#8 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

Rae Beth is an ex-wiccan and it shows in her books. I have to agree, wholeheartedly with Sandy as I, too, found her books boring :yuck: and barely struggled through them, :stars: so I quickly sold them on.

#9 Terri

Terri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

I bought it, read it once and never again. It will be on eBay shortly

That's what I did with mine. I sold Hedge Witches Way and Hedge witch together. I found them full of the same old stuff that was in most of the books on the market today. I was really disappointed with them actually.

I think I remember posting how un-useful I found them on my intro to this site, lol.

Terri

#10 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:36 PM

Did not like this or The hedgewitches way, I believe that a hedgewitch is what i am, not a solitary wiccan or wildwood mystic. Was actually bored with the whole thing but bought the books because i thought they would be what i was looking for.
For me a hedgewitch is someone who gets in amoungst the hedgerows loking for tools and supplies, toodstools and herbs and then maybe even uses these things to venture into different worlds and realities.

#11 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

I just recently finished reading the book: Wiccan Path by Rae Beth, and in the UK/England it is known as Hedge Witches Way. I personally loved the book. It was all about prayer and simple rituals. No complex tools or anything. She brings up the topic of spirit guides and journey to the "other worlds". I found it a nice change from all the books on "Wicca" out there. Personally I give it 3 stars.

http://tinyurl.com/yocoo2

She has another book on the same subject that I'm interested in buying. Though I have a mountain of other books that I plan on reading through first. It's on the list. Any one else read this books or her other book on the same subject?

HHmm....hun??? We don't DO Wiccan stuff on here really. I personally do not care to read alot of Wiccan stuff. As Sandy says...the god and goddess shit doesn't settle well amongst us here.

#12 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:05 AM

HHmm....hun??? We don't DO Wiccan stuff on here really. I personally do not care to read alot of Wiccan stuff. As Sandy says...the god and goddess shit doesn't settle well amongst us here.

I understand that. I personally wouldn't classify it as Wiccan, but not Trad either. It was however to me a good book to get an idea on prayer and spirit communication.

#13 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:00 AM

Well imho if the book talks about the goddess and such then it reaks of wiccan. Defintely not trad. But to each their own.

#14 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

Did not like this or The hedgewitches way, I believe that a hedgewitch is what i am, not a solitary wiccan or wildwood mystic. Was actually bored with the whole thing but bought the books because i thought they would be what i was looking for.
For me a hedgewitch is someone who gets in amoungst the hedgerows loking for tools and supplies, toodstools and herbs and then maybe even uses these things to venture into different worlds and realities.

:mdance:Nice to see you back Spinney, and I agree with you fully.

#15 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

I have a great deal of books, and a small percentage of them are Wiccan. I have taken what I can from them, and plan to give them away to a friend soon, who IS Wiccan, and is struggling, so why not make them a gift to her? Books are treasures. We choose to read what we want.
I do not have time to judge others, but have used the bunny as a shortcut to my thoughts here.
I have too much too learn, and am enjoying my journey at this sight because I am learnig a great deal and hopefully making friends who understand that I am a witch and that's just the way it is.
Do what you wish with your old books, as long as you have taken out of them what you can. But be sure to replace them with something that will be more helpful to YOUR personal path. IF I have to label myself I would say "Solitary Traditional, constantly learning.

It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#16 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

I have so many books to read at home, many of them influenced by Wicca. I don't think I am going to read all of them. I brought this one up because I heard from some one else who studies Trad Craft and mentioned it as a "Trad Book". It seems now that it was mislabelled as such. Oh well. It was a different view.

My mom is hopefully getting me one of the many books on my books list. The one I'm really looking forward to is a book on Cunning Folk and their practices. I think from what I have read about Trad Craft the book on Cunning Folk is more what I am looking for.

#17 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

Good luck on your search Honey. i've just sold a lot of my old wicca books . It is hard to find a decent book since wicca hijacked the term 'Trad Witch'

Personally since I like Spinney use a lot of stuff gathered from around my home have found that books with herbal uses tea recipes, and treating ailments rather good. Mine have been collected from people throwing out books they bought in the 60's or before so they are straight forward and no nonsense. I tend not yet to have the time or need to research other things I have given up on trying to find answers to everything and am happy to just let them be - for the moment anyway:)

Second hand book stores are fab. You'll find information in the most unlikely places.

#18 LadyHawk

LadyHawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:12 PM

Personally....I think you should read the books, wiccan or not. I think part of learning a trad path is being able to distinguish between the two. Also you can find snippets of useful information in the most unlikely places.

I have read Rae Beths' books and whilst they aren't my type of thing I wouldn't beat myself up just because they are wiccan. I have loads of books in the loft, some of which are really cringe worthy, but hey, how many times have you bought a so called best seller, hyped up in the stores, only to find it was absolute crap when you read it.

Listen to yourself, take note of book lists that others on here have recommended, but most of all chill about it, its not a race or some sort of must do. Lots of witches don't read any books, except possibly herbal ones.

I like all books about cunning folk and folklore....apart from anything else they are usually good reads!

LadyHawk x

#19 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

Personally....I think you should read the books, wiccan or not. I think part of learning a trad path is being able to distinguish between the two. Also you can find snippets of useful information in the most unlikely places.

Maybe I will then. I'm sure I could get some information out of them. Though right now I want to learn more about the fae and myths relating to the spirit world. Kinda like shaman work.

I have read Rae Beths' books and whilst they aren't my type of thing I wouldn't beat myself up just because they are wiccan. I have loads of books in the loft, some of which are really cringe worthy, but hey, how many times have you bought a so called best seller, hyped up in the stores, only to find it was absolute crap when you read it.

That is true. Many books I've read have not been as good as other people have said that they were. I do find books about Wicca interesting. I just wish they wouldn't label everything as "witchcraft".

Listen to yourself, take note of book lists that others on here have recommended, but most of all chill about it, its not a race or some sort of must do. Lots of witches don't read any books, except possibly herbal ones.

I am looking at the book lists here, and many of them are on my wish list. I just have to wait to go through my current book list. I have much to learn and read. While I know that witchcraft is learned by practice and skill development, books can be guide posts to what to look for.

Though so far this site has been more helpful than any book. I've learned that intuition is key. That I need to follow my heart in order to find my path. That doesn't mean I don't have questions. People here might not have the answers, but I can still ask.

I like all books about cunning folk and folklore....apart from anything else they are usually good reads!

Any suggestions?

#20 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:55 PM

Any suggestions?

[COLOR=palegreen]Use the forum's search facility to look for the words "cunning", "folk" and "recommended" in the Book and Music Reviews section.:pumpkin: