Dion Fortune

Thistle

I'm currently reading the book Applied Magic by Dion Fortune and I think it's really interresting. I bought it beacause I got so tired of all the wiccan material and a witch in the bookstore recommended it. I guess it's pretty ceremonial and ritualistic but I figure there are always bits you can take in from that aswell as other things.

Has anyone read something by her, and what do you think?

Thistle

• 4 weeks later...
Guest StandingStone

Hi Thistle, anything at all by Dion Fortune is worth reading.

Her style is outdated, and she kept her cristianity, but she was so astute.

Try any of her novels for an enthralling read that will teach you HEAPS!

"The Secrets of Doctor Taverner" is possably her most Traditional Witchcraft book. Short stories about the Fae that she swears are all true.

Guest Rebie

The only book I have by her and read by her is Psychic Self-Defense. It has been a long time sinse i actually read it. I just went and found it and I see I did not even finish it.

Rebie

Guest Rebie
Hidden
The only book I have by her and read by her is Psychic Self-Defense. It has been a long time sinse i actually read it. I just went and found it and I see I did not even finish it. As I skim through it, I remember why I was not impressed. She is a bit paranoid and does not have all her facts. At least that is my opinion. Maybe her other books would change my mind, but this one is the only one I know of reading and I do not care for it.

Rebie

You know, I think i actually may have contradicted myself in another thread about this book. Not sure, i have not found it yet. I read so much and forget sometimes which is which. I should just keep my mouth shut. LOL. Oh well, this time I actually found the book and remember. So, if you see a contraditictary comment from me, please dismiss it.

Rebie

Hidden
As I skim through it, I remember why I was not impressed. She is a bit paranoid and does not have all her facts. At least that is my opinion.

I think that you may be missing the fact that Dion fortune was born in 1889 and started writing in 1920 ish when you could not really go to the library, turn on the internet to find your facts .

As I skim through it, I remember why I was not impressed. She is a bit paranoid and does not have all her facts. At least that is my opinion.

I think that you may be missing the fact that Dion fortune was born in 1889 and started writing in 1920 ish when you could not really go to the local library, turn on the internet to find your facts as im sure most modern authour do.

Guest Rebie
I think that you may be missing the fact that Dion fortune was born in 1889 and started writing in 1920 ish when you could not really go to the local library, turn on the internet to find your facts as im sure most modern authour do.

Ah, yes. That is a fact I was missing. Thanks Spinneyhex. That does explain some of the stuff I read in that book.

Rebie

• 11 months later...
Hi Thistle, anything at all by Dion Fortune is worth reading.

Her style is outdated, and she kept her cristianity, but she was so astute.

Try any of her novels for an enthralling read that will teach you HEAPS!

"The Secrets of Doctor Taverner" is possably her most Traditional Witchcraft book. Short stories about the Fae that she swears are all true.

I just started reading Dion Fortune's Psychic Self Defense book. The topic, is for me, quite relevant. Yes, Fortune comes from an earlier more traditional minded time and seems dated in places but I find her writing intelligent and very astute, as Standing Stone said.

I was wondering if anyone else on this board has read Fortune's works and if so - could you suggest some favourite titles?

(Based on StandingStone's post above, I think I"m going to check out The Secrets of Doctor Taverner")

Thanks.

Guest Oakbuchanan
I just started reading Dion Fortune's Psychic Self Defense book. The topic, is for me, quite relevant. Yes, Fortune comes from an earlier more traditional minded time and seems dated in places but I find her writing intelligent and very astute, as Standing Stone said.

I was wondering if anyone else on this board has read Fortune's works and if so - could you suggest some favourite titles?

(Based on StandingStone's post above, I think I"m going to check out The Secrets of Doctor Taverner")

Thanks.

Yea 'The Goat foot God' is a great read.. although I would avoid 'The problem of purity' a bit scary, although valid in its own right, masturbation coined as self abuse for example :omg2: but neverless I like her stuff alot..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived