Photo
- - - - -

Scrying

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#21 Autumn

Autumn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

I tried scrying with a crystal ball and water a long time ago, but nothing happened. I keep getting the feeling I should be doing it with a candle so hopefully that will work better.

Going back to two points that perked my interest - I too am terrified of mirrors, I always think I'm going to see myself in some grotesque, scary form or something. Not sure whether this is just my over-active imagination (too many horror films perhaps) or whether it's a part of my psyche that's trying to tell me something. Anyone had an over-whelming urge to make a really scary face in the mirror to see how you react - maybe I'm just weird because I keep getting those urges!

Regarding trances, I seem to spend my life in one, and that's no exageration! I constantly feel like I'm partially zoned out of everything, I can't concentrate on anything for long, hardly listen to people when they're talking (and it's not because they are boring me). People say I'm too much 'in my head'. When I 'zone out' I don't really go anywhere in particular, I'm just not 'here'. Any comments, suggestions, psychiatric advice perhaps!!!! :cuckoo:

#22 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:40 PM

Regarding trances, I seem to spend my life in one, and that's no exageration! I constantly feel like I'm partially zoned out of everything, I can't concentrate on anything for long, hardly listen to people when they're talking (and it's not because they are boring me). People say I'm too much 'in my head'. When I 'zone out' I don't really go anywhere in particular, I'm just not 'here'. Any comments, suggestions, psychiatric advice perhaps!!!! :cuckoo:

You are living on your higher chakras only which is really unhealthy. Do some chakra excercises to open the lower chakras and close the higher chakras a bit.

Try and get your energy body alighned and work on those chakras, try and keep yourself grounded.

To ground quickly I would take off your shoes and socks and stand outside. Imagine your feet slowly sinking into the ground and going right through to the center of the earth :)

Posted Image
A Traditional Poker Posted Image (poke it with a stick and see what happens)
"Most important things in life; Good Food, Good Wine, Good Sex and a Damn Good Giggle!" Posted Image
Visit my Website: www.sandycristel.com
Visit my BLOG: www.blog.sandycristel.com
Follow me on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/SandyCristel

#23 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

Thats what this mirror is. Guess I'll use it after cleaning up the silver again. Jeez, maybe I should clean up the brush and comb that goes with it and use all three pieces.
Earth as Body become Me
Air as Life breathe through Me
Fire as Spirit consume Me
Water as Blood flow through Me
Spirit as Guide lead Me

#24 Autumn

Autumn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

Sandy, thank you. That is quite possibly the best advice anyone's ever given me - where were you in my teenage years when I needed you! :wink: You'd have blown those psychologists straight out of the water.

I will certainly follow your advice, it seems to make total sense to me now but not knowing much about Chakras it never occurred to me. Can you recommend further reading on Chakras or can I get all the information I need by browsing the net and the Trad Witch forums?
Thank you again :thankyou:

#25 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:14 PM

The best chakra CD I have found in English is Journey through the Chakras with Elizabeth Whiter :)

She has a very soothing voice and will take you through a guided meditation that will balance and cleanse your chakras one by one.

Highly recommended :)

Posted Image
A Traditional Poker Posted Image (poke it with a stick and see what happens)
"Most important things in life; Good Food, Good Wine, Good Sex and a Damn Good Giggle!" Posted Image
Visit my Website: www.sandycristel.com
Visit my BLOG: www.blog.sandycristel.com
Follow me on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/SandyCristel

#26 Autumn

Autumn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

Fantastic, thank you. I've just had a quick look and there is one CD on Amazon for 11.99 but I'll try to find one cheaper elsewhere if I can. Just found the website for Elizabeth Whiter as well so browsing that at the moment.

This is going to be extremely helpful to me I just know it. And now I know what Tibetan Singing Bowls are for - been wondering about that!

Thanks Sandy. I will do a post about this when I get into it.

#27 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

I tried scrying with a crystal ball and water a long time ago, but nothing happened. I keep getting the feeling I should be doing it with a candle so hopefully that will work better.

Going back to two points that perked my interest - I too am terrified of mirrors, I always think I'm going to see myself in some grotesque, scary form or something. Not sure whether this is just my over-active imagination (too many horror films perhaps) or whether it's a part of my psyche that's trying to tell me something. Anyone had an over-whelming urge to make a really scary face in the mirror to see how you react - maybe I'm just weird because I keep getting those urges!

In regard to mirrors, I stay the hell away from them. I totally understand what you're talking about. It seems like I'm going to see something there that I shouldn't, and every now and then I do catch a glimpse of... something. :eye:

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#28 SapphireMoon

SapphireMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:32 AM

I'm the same way.lol Scared to look to close. It seems like something strange is going to appear. But I'm slowly trying to get past that.

SapphireMoon

#29 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:45 AM

I couldn't stand to look at myself in a mirror for a long time. I saw sickness and ill health surrounding me like a black dark energy...Not that way any more.

#30 WINDRIVER

WINDRIVER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:32 AM

Hello all.....I just purchased a large peice of coffee-table glass , 24x46 inches , and about one quuarter inch thick so it should have a good deep look to it. I think it should make a real nice ( and real BIG ) scrying miror! Now I have not used a miror as yet , but as I seem to remember reading somewhere (though not sure where) that when you are using the miror , you are to tilt or angle it so as to avoid seeing your reflection staring back at you. This may perhaps help you avoid seeing undesirable views of yourself when using the miror in your workings.

#31 Jaime

Jaime

the cat's staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:17 PM

Hello all.....I just purchased a large peice of coffee-table glass , 24x46 inches , and about one quuarter inch thick so it should have a good deep look to it. I think it should make a real nice ( and real BIG ) scrying miror! Now I have not used a miror as yet , but as I seem to remember reading somewhere (though not sure where) that when you are using the miror , you are to tilt or angle it so as to avoid seeing your reflection staring back at you. This may perhaps help you avoid seeing undesirable views of yourself when using the miror in your workings.

I do remember (from somewhere) that when you're using a mirror for scrying, including black mirrors, that you should cover them when not in use. It's like a portal to the other side and things can see out just as you can see in. That's the tradition...but when I think about it if spirits are around us all of the time anyways..what's the difference. I guess it depends on your take on life after death..

:howl-moon:

Respect the Elders. Teach the Young. Cooperate with the Pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your Mark.

:Witch-1:

#32 Autumn

Autumn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

At least I know it's not just me who has a crazy fear of mirrors! Maybe there really is more to it.

Why is it I wonder that a lot of the mythology surrounding vampires says they have no reflection. I always thought that it was because mirrors are a reflection of the soul and as vampires supposedly don't have souls (in most fiction anyway) that's why they cast no reflection.

Any thoughts?

I think I will investigate this whole fear of mirrors thing and see what I can find...

That's good advice about tilting the mirrow when attempting scrying, the last thing you want is to be staring at yourself as it's a total distraction.

#33 Jaime

Jaime

the cat's staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

I completely understand this feeling! I don't remember feeling this foggy all the time when I was younger...but it has been happening on and off the past few years...like I can't focus or concentrate.. I thought it was just me and I wasn't trying hard enough or something..

You are living on your higher chakras only which is really unhealthy. Do some chakra excercises to open the lower chakras and close the higher chakras a bit.

Try and get your energy body alighned and work on those chakras, try and keep yourself grounded.

To ground quickly I would take off your shoes and socks and stand outside. Imagine your feet slowly sinking into the ground and going right through to the center of the earth :)

Thanks so much for this advice Sandy! I'd follow the advice about the standing on the earth barefooted, but as seasonal temps range on average -10C here, I think I'll look for some other avenues to ground and balance. I'm actually relieved I'm not just a nutter! :cheers:

:howl-moon:

Respect the Elders. Teach the Young. Cooperate with the Pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your Mark.

:Witch-1:

#34 Guest_Bean Sprite_*

Guest_Bean Sprite_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:19 PM

I love my scrying mirror. I use to use it quite often, but haven't lately. I made mine from a old window payne and painted the back with gloss black enamel paint, then etched the front.
I had way more success and focus with it than my crystal ball, or the water bowl.
I even had a pocket scryer at one time, but I think it was stolen.

#35 Greenfeet

Greenfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:40 PM

There is another thing to be said for covering ritual items when not in use- and that is the ritual of covering and uncovering can deliniate mundane from ritual, and help a person focus on putting away everyday interferences and getting into the mindset of the ritual at hand.

I do remember (from somewhere) that when you're using a mirror for scrying, including black mirrors, that you should cover them when not in use. It's like a portal to the other side and things can see out just as you can see in. That's the tradition...but when I think about it if spirits are around us all of the time anyways..what's the difference. I guess it depends on your take on life after death..

#36 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:43 PM

Thats what this mirror is. Guess I'll use it after cleaning up the silver again. Jeez, maybe I should clean up the brush and comb that goes with it and use all three pieces.

I think I have one of those, have tryed to sell it in my garage sales for two years now. Jeez, I wonder where it is, don't remember selling it. Must be in one of my boxes in storage. LOL, that honestly is not going to be fun to find.

#37 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

I like to scry with fire - whether its a bond fire or a candle fire and with incense smoke. I don't know if anyone else does the incense smoke or its just me.

I think my meditation skills are what enable me to scry. I can usually see symbols and faces beyond the dancing flames. From there I interpret it. I'm sure if it should be more complicated or not.

#38 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:19 PM

This is why I hate mirrors. When I was young we moved into a house that had a bad spirit. I don't even know how to explain 15 years with this thing. It affected my brother, my mother and me. We had this one particular mirror that I hated and I couldn't make eye contact with it. Everyday, I'd walk down the hallway bending my head downwards and to the side as I walked towards it. I hated it. 4 years ago, I found out that my brother and my mother had the same problem with it. My question, "Why the hell didn't someone move it?" At the same time I found out the thing was still giving my brother nightmares, the same ones I had been having about it.

My grandfather died in the bathroom of his house. My mother lives there now (different house). For some reason I can't make eye contact with that mirror at night. I don't know why it makes me so uncomfortable other than the thought that that mirror witnessed my grandfather's death. Not that I didn't see him. I found him. But I don't know why that mirror gives me the heebee jeebies.

For these reasons I can't bring myself to mirror scrying.

#39 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

I like to scry with fire - whether its a bond fire or a candle fire and with incense smoke. I don't know if anyone else does the incense smoke or its just me.

I think my meditation skills are what enable me to scry. I can usually see symbols and faces beyond the dancing flames. From there I interpret it. I'm sure if it should be more complicated or not.

I never thought of gazing into fire of some sort as scrying. If that's the case I do it every time I have a camp fire. I just stare into the fire and feel like some one or something is trying to tell me something....Maybe I should open my mind more and see what comes up?

A crooked path is one where changes can lead you any where-this is my current path

#40 SapphireMoon

SapphireMoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

I LOVE Fire gazing. When I owned my home we use to have big bondfires & I would just sit for hours gazing into the flames. Afterwards I always felt so calm & relaxed. Now a candle is my flame.

SapphireMoon