48 replies to this topic

#1 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:00 AM

A friend of mine and I were discussng how great the benifits of garlic is in getting rid of colds when she told me about this interesting and apparently foolproof way of getting rid of yeast infections in the female nether-regions.

According to her, one of the best ways is to put a clove of garlic down below inserted inside ( for a short period of time although im not sure how comfortable or well this would work) or putting some freshly minced garlic on a pad and using it that way.I probably wouldnt use the bottle type due to the vinegar within it, mincing it up yourself would be the best solution. According to her its the cheapest and quickest way of getting rid of thrush.

I cant comment on its effectiveness, but it wouldnt surprise me at all, although my only thought would be the pungent smell of garlic that would follow you around all day lol.

Has anyone else heard of this remedy?

"My church is not of silver and gold,
Its glory lies beyond judgement of souls
The commandments are of consolation & warmth
You know our sacred dream won't fail
The sanctury tender and so frail
The sacrament of love
The sacrament of warmth is true
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

Oh yes, I've heard of it and it does work!!! However, another remedy for this that is more comfortable etc is to coat a cotton/bleach free tampon with natural bio-live yoghurt and have a sea salt bath with 3 drops of lemon eo and 3 drops of tea tree eo every morning and evening. Eat tons of yoghurt too and no sugar till you are feeling better as sugar feeds yeast!

#3 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:52 PM

bathing in cider vinegar helps too as it balances out the acidity levels in your body.

Also, along with the garlic method it's very good at keeping your OH at arms length esp when he's been to the pub Posted Image

#4 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:28 PM

Actually, a white vinegar douch 1 or two times(not regularly as douching is not that great on your system) is a good solution. I rather think garlic in your "region" has more of a Burning effect. Eat PLAIN yogurt. No flavors, as they have sugar. A big container of plain yogurt. OR make it yourself. That's even better. But I have too much time on my hands.
It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#5 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:27 PM

yeah i think i prefer the yogurt method personally myself ;)

My MIL was telling me last night that garlic is also really good for tinea and getting rid of that...i really like the way garlic has so many interesting and useful purposes :D

The sacrament of love
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#6 Storm

Storm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:58 AM

fyi garlic when crushed up is more potent then penicillian and tetracycline. and it will also get rid of yeast infections down there if taken orally. i would much rather my woman swallow some garlic then put in down by her cotchie.
If you don't live for something, you die for nothing

#7 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

im fully with you on that one storm :D ... Im not sure I would be brave enough to use it in the way my friend descibed...and anyway garlic and redwine spagetti sauce! perfect excuse to eat more of it ;)
The sacrament of love
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#8 Holly

Holly

Thaumatourgos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:04 PM

I'll also confirm that I have heard of the insertion of garlic to rid a yeast infection. To be honest, I would rather do that than spend $30 on a cream. I haven't tried it yet, though.

#9 Sara

Sara

Questioner of all things!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

I have heard that this is a great way to get rid of infections. I hate meds of any sort. Garlic is one of my most favorite things to eat in the world! I will eat it steamed, fried, baked, boiled; you name it!

I bet when they find a natural cure for cancer, garlic will be in there.

"Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." - Plato

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

#10 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:33 AM

LOL! i hope it does cure cancer :D as said previously garlic is so good and versatile and yummy! Have you tried roast garlic Sarah?

I agree with you Holly, those creams freak me out esp. for the price of them and the little apicators and how uncomfortable it feels :yuck:

The sacrament of love
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#11 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

fyi garlic when crushed up is more potent then penicillian and tetracycline. and it will also get rid of yeast infections down there if taken orally. i would much rather my woman swallow some garlic then put in down by her cotchie.

Well, that's just the thing, I think. Garlic is a good thing for MANY purposes. Going through the system normally is better for you. Remember a Yeast "infection" is fungal, not bacterial or viral. That is why I suggested the vinegar douches. Fungus thrives on base dark areas with plenty of warm, dark space for it to grow. The vinegar supplies an acid flush. The first one half and half white vinegar and filtered water. The second one 25%, and the final one 12.5%. Daily for three days. Cut out sugar and all yeast products for 3 days.
And eat the plain yogurt and vegetables with Balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil and LOTS of garlic. Graze like crazy.
It's like a cleansing. You will feel better.
The same diet for men with athlete's foot, with using the vinegar mixtures as a foot wash.

#12 Holly

Holly

Thaumatourgos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the tips, Jan! It is nice having health professionals on the board :)

#13 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:05 AM

Well, smoe things have to just be taken care of in a mundane way. Then we can save our good spells and use them with extra energy.
Former health professional, since the stroke. But I'm feeling much better now!

#14 Guest_Willowphoenix_*

Guest_Willowphoenix_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

Well, that's just the thing, I think. Garlic is a good thing for MANY purposes. Going through the system normally is better for you. Remember a Yeast "infection" is fungal, not bacterial or viral. That is why I suggested the vinegar douches. Fungus thrives on base dark areas with plenty of warm, dark space for it to grow. The vinegar supplies an acid flush. The first one half and half white vinegar and filtered water. The second one 25%, and the final one 12.5%. Daily for three days. Cut out sugar and all yeast products for 3 days.
And eat the plain yogurt and vegetables with Balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil and LOTS of garlic. Graze like crazy.
It's like a cleansing. You will feel better.
The same diet for men with athlete's foot, with using the vinegar mixtures as a foot wash.

Hiya Wolfjan1, i have a full intenstinal thrush infestation and i've been told constantly not eat anything with vinegar in it because the acid feeds it. Do you think that might just be because its intestinal rather than just in the usual feminine place?
I've been told recently tho that cider vinegar if used externally does help.

#15 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

Willowphoenix, are you on any type of probiotic at all?

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#16 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:06 PM

SUGAR feeds thrush and yeast. The sugars in vinegar are broken down LONG before it reaches our hands. A probiotic, as KW suggested, is probably the best route here. You DEFINITELY need a system flush.

#17 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:59 AM

On the slight tangent of ingesting garlic for everyday uses, any suggestions for what to follow up with to kill garlic breath?
The stuff seems to oxidize in the lungs, nothing I've tried gets rid of garlic breath! I recently bought a few full cloves, about 2 weeks back, and after the first night of eating a small chunk, met with all kinds of complaints and resistance from the wife. :rolleyes:

Personally, I really like the zing of garlic (and onions and hot peppers too, and horseradish is totally awesome!) - and the fact that they're so damn healthy .. if only I could get the smell reduced.

Oh, and how long does garlic keep? I'm keeping all of it in the fridge, but I wonder if un-crushed/pressed full cloves should be kept unrefrigerated.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#18 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:37 AM

On the slight tangent of ingesting garlic for everyday uses, any suggestions for what to follow up with to kill garlic breath?
The stuff seems to oxidize in the lungs, nothing I've tried gets rid of garlic breath! I recently bought a few full cloves, about 2 weeks back, and after the first night of eating a small chunk, met with all kinds of complaints and resistance from the wife. :rolleyes:

Personally, I really like the zing of garlic (and onions and hot peppers too, and horseradish is totally awesome!) - and the fact that they're so damn healthy .. if only I could get the smell reduced.

Oh, and how long does garlic keep? I'm keeping all of it in the fridge, but I wonder if un-crushed/pressed full cloves should be kept unrefrigerated.

LOL! I have the habit of making garlicy foods (fresh garlic mind you) for 3 - 5 days in a row. At some point in the week, Aaron's coworkers start refusing to have anything to do with him. I think its kind of funny and I think he thinks I'm kind of sadistic. I just like garlic - I forget about the side effect of garlic breath. I do assure him no vampires will come within 20 feet of him.

#19 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

The search button is your friend.

#20 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Holy Basil Remedy:

For getting relief from thrush, use holy basil either as a tea or as a gargling solution.

Make the solution by adding one and a quarter teaspoons of ground basil to half a cup of water. Keep under lid and steep for half an hour. When the tea has cooled down, then gargle with this solution. You can even sweeten the solution by adding maple syrup and drink one cup of this tea in the morning and evening

OR

Boil 3 1/2 cups water, remove from heat, and add 1 1/4 teaspoons ground basil. 

Cover and steep for 30 minutes. Cool and gargle. Or sweeten to taste with maple syrup and drink 1 cup twice a day.

Rosemary Tea:

In order to alleviate the itching and burning sensation from a yeast infection make a simple tea of rosemary and use it either as a douche or pat it on an external area to get instant relief.

Instead of Rosemary you can also make Thyme tea by adding one teaspoon of dried thyme per cup of boiling water. Steep  and drink the solution two or three times a day to ease yeast infection.

Apple-cider Vinegar:

The vinegar can be used both internally and externally but before you apply it make sure that it you check out for it is very strong and directly applying it on the skin can cause you harm. This solution kills the yeast like anything and gives you instant all day long relief. The best way to use the vinegar is to add a cup of it into hot water and bath with it and you will surely feel very calming and relaxing afterwards. It is important that you never use white vinegar (it actually nourishes the yeast) but use the apple-cider vinegar (with the mother) type as this one is natural and not much processed.

OR..

Add 2 tablespoons of Apple-cider vinegar to distilled water as a douche. Repeat daily for 7 days, if need be. 

GARLIC: Instead of using a whole clove of garlic internally, you can smash several cloves, boil in water. Let cool and use as a douche.  

PLEASE REFRIGERATE UNUSED PORTIONS.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda