djinn

Guest wmgray

King of the element of Fire - home of the salamanders. :sunny: There are four kings for each of the cardinal points who rule over the elements associated with them and the spirits that reside therein.

Its all related to Wicca and/or neo-paganism.

Has anyone ever seen the film Long Time Dead?

That wasn't out of the blue, lol, in it a group of kids call use a Ouija board and they communicate with a djinn, but then one of them take there finger off the glass and set it free. It's a pretty funny film, even thought it is supposed to be a horror, lol.

Terri

Yeah, I think djinn have their roots in Middle Eastern/Arabic cultures. I think the Wiccans stole them for their own beliefs. I have also heard that they were represented by salamanders and fire, but it was in a subject much older and unrelated to Wicca.

Yeah, I think djinn have their roots in Middle Eastern/Arabic cultures. I think the Wiccans stole them for their own beliefs. I have also heard that they were represented by salamanders and fire, but it was in a subject much older and unrelated to Wicca.

As far as I am aware, Holly, in Wicca its not a "they", but a "him"; it is one king's name (alongside Ghob of the gnomes, Nixsa of the undines and Paralda of the sylphs) all passed to Wicca from ceremonial magic, which is often sourced from eastern societies.

Djinn in the traditional sense is a type of genie, However from what I have heard and read and experienced there can be many different types. Yes there is a huge wiccan following behing the "fire king" Djinn but this is not the only type of Djinn.

One of my Teachers ( no he is not wiccan, far from it in fact hes a trad witch but in eastern magicks as well as Dutch trad magick) employs/ uses a Djinn. The Way his Djinn works is that he has given it a set task to look after him ( he's quite an old man and has a few health problems) so that he always has enough money/ never seems to go without his medication. No matter what the circumstances and how badly he seems to be in financial trouble his Djinn makes sure that he doesnt need to go a day without these medicines ( he has emphasemia and chronic back pain as well as cancer)

I personally dont know how he got his Djinn, and I know i wont find out until he thinks Im ready , But i do know how he calls on it for help, Normaly by asking out loud and meditating quietly for 5 min on the outcome he needs. He then lets the meditation and thoughts go and leaves it for the Djinn to deal with...as he says hes looking for opportunities to help himself and that by letting the djinn do his work and by letting any expectations of whats going to happen go...things will progress naturally. And sure enough on many occasion i have watched this come true, whether it be a friend lending him some money, or he finds the misplaced bottle of medication.

hopes this helps a little :)

yes SIMILAR but definately not the same, the main differences being that a Djinn cannot be tamed or told what to do or needs to be fed... its naturally already there. Its not created by the witch. It has its own ways and is very much its own entity and life force/ personality.

As I said before Im not sure as to how my teacher attracted/brought about/gained his Djinn but It will bring the desired outcome IN ITS OWN WAY, normally in the most unlikel way possible.

It brings blessings in disguise, or sometimes with problems attached depending on its mood and although I have seen on many occasions the djinn working, again its always in ways that one would least expect. It looks out for my teacher but brings along the desired outcome in many forms.

Hopes this clears things up a little :)

As far as I am aware, Holly, in Wicca its not a "they", but a "him"; it is one king's name (alongside Ghob of the gnomes, Nixsa of the undines and Paralda of the sylphs) all passed to Wicca from ceremonial magic, which is often sourced from eastern societies.

Rofl, okay, this is going to sound silly, but I'll say it... I am a HUGE video game fan, and there was one game called Legend of Manna that had a summon/spell called "djinn" and one called "salamander." The game was by Squaresoft, a company famous for their role-playing games and for drawing inspiration from mythology of all regions. I just have a hard time believing they sourced from a new-age religion.

One of my favorite fiction novels, Castle In The Air, sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, also featured what the author called a "djinn," who lived in a bottle and granted three wishes.

Long story short, I think that even though the Wiccans used the idea of the djinn and added all their ceremonial bs to it, it still has its roots outside witchcraft. I refuse to believe they "invented" it, or that the djinn belongs to them.

Long story short, I think that even though the Wiccans used the idea of the djinn and added all their ceremonial bs to it, it still has its roots outside witchcraft. I refuse to believe they "invented" it, or that the djinn belongs to them.

Ah yes. I have seen these names used in a lots of RPGs, google throws them up. :yuck:

I never said Wicca invented them, but that they were sourced from the old grimoires, which sourced older texts and so on. For a short history of the origins of some of the texts and the accusations of "borrowing", Ronald Hutton's "Witches, Druids and King Arthur" has a chapter on the lineage stretching back to ancient civilisations.

legend of mana rocks!!!! *giggles* most sqaresoft games rock though :D ATM Andy downloaded virtual boy ( gamboy emulator for PC) and so i have lots and lots of squaresoft gameboy games to play anytime i want which kicks arse!!!!

I am with you on this one holly, i heard about djinn Looooooooong before I heard about wicca through lots of myths and stories...im pretty sure theres references to Djinn in Arabian nights :), but then dont quote me on that one cos the copy i had was pretty old and i havent read it in a long time :hearts:

... i heard about djinn Looooooooong before I heard about wicca through lots of myths and stories...im pretty sure theres references to Djinn in Arabian nights

They also appeared in several fairy tales I read as a child; though I can't remember which ones (my memory rarely stretches that far back :glass:)

They also appeared in several fairy tales I read as a child; though I can't remember which ones (my memory rarely stretches that far back :glass:

Fairy tales and video games... yeah, that's about all I've got ;) They were the reasons I loved my mythology classes. Not the most scholarly pursuit, I admit.

I always thought myths would be dry and boring - then I realised that those childhood fairy tales I spent hours pouring over were based on the myths of various countries. A love affair began. :chakrahearts:

Totally with you on this one AC and Holly :loveeyes: Fairy tales rock! Been scrounging all the old second hand book stores for unusual and different stories and tales that arent all Grimms or Hans Christian Anderson...I might post this in another thread but if you guys know of any Different authors or books that do fairy tales etc. I'd be mighty grateful fot the names :grouphug:

Archived