The Lore of the Land

greenbeans

This is a book I have wanted for ages, and its a mighty tome, well, even though I got the paperback version, it is so heavy I'm straining to lift it! This is truly a wonderful work for anyone living in (or visiting) England with an interest in myths and folklore. It feels really high quality and luxurious, shiny full colour pics, maps etc. Its divided into counties, with placenames under each county and brief details of local folklore (eg hauntings, arthurian myths, faeries, demons, prehistoric remains, witch legends etc). There are longer, 2 page stories with more detailed legends. I really think this book will stand me in stead for years to come. I doubt I'll read it cover to cover, just dip ina nd out when I'm visiting somewhere new or looking to explore nearby sites. Highly recommended!:applause:

I have a hardback version (they sometimes pop up on ebay rather cheaply) and it is fabulous. I know I can be over-critical, but I have to say that it does not cover all myths and/or legends associated with the various counties though it is a brilliant starting point. I also have individual books for each county that are more extensive.

Still, its a beautiful book, a great reference and well worth the money. Do try to find it through ebay, Bookfinder or secondhand shops, as Amazon can overcharge for it. Alongside the "Dictionary of English Folklore" you pretty much have a reference for most British legends. ;)

No, you're right, I did notice it had missed out a couple of stories from around here, also some of them are a bit lacking in detail. But if it was totally all-encompassing imagine how HUGE it would be! Like you say it is a good starting point and I just know I'll be reaching for it whenever I go somewhere new. The maps are so cute, I love them!

• 4 weeks later...

Morgana, it might have been best if you waited to find it on ebay, especially since you are not travelling for a few years, as its often much cheaper (even new, or in hardback) than Amazon. "The Dictionary of English Folklore", combined with "Lord of the Land" will provide you with a foundation knowledge.

You might also consider:

"Myths and Legends of the British Isles" by Richard Barber;

"The Sutton Companion to the Folklore, Myths and Customs of Britain" by Marc Alexander;

"The Enchanted Land: Myths and Legends of Britain's Landscape" by Janet Bord; and

"The Modern Antiquarian" by Julian Cope.

Though, to save money, I would advise previewing them in your library first to see if they are of value to you, and then purchasing them secondhand or new from ebay or other book sites, as Amazon is so very expensive.

Thanks for the info. I did find one online that was used fairly cheap. My library doesn't carry any books that we would like to read. Its a very small library and only really carries books for the grade schoolers.

I will check out the others you mention and see which ones I like. Then, we'll hit Amazon used or ebay.

Thanks again!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I received my copy today....someone could have warned me about how SMALL the print was!!!! LOL!! Or is it just the book I got? Anyway, had a quick look thru and I LIKE IT!! Its going to be a book that I will probably read when I go to bed, a page or 2 at time. Can't wait to get into it.

:fu: