candle magic books

greenbeans

I do a lot of candle magic. But i have no books on it. I just take magical properties of herbs and color and use that with the candles. Let me know what you think of it.

Rebie

I have the following candle magick books that I keep handy just in case:

A Little Book of Candle Magic..........D.J.Conway

Exploring Candle Magick...........Patricia Telesco

Practical Candleburning Rituals.......Raymond Buckland

Advanced Candle Magick.......Raymond Buckland

Buckland is a little too Wiccan in the ritual parts but he's good.

Here's the Patricia Telesco one, I have been looking through it for a healing ritual for my grandmother. Also, there are probably others worth looking through at Google Books. I like this one although it might be wicca influenced.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ogHORLtm3KAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=SPELLS&lr=&hl=sv&sig=1hGMYsgbW7Uq6iOayAHQFXlgbjo#PPA1,M1

I like my little candle book, Its little too!!! Its basically a newbie book, nothing fancy. It does have some good candle spells, Well worth the 10 bucks I paid.

Today I went to Borders for the first time. I was only looking for a dream book, but browsed the witch section, actually I should say the Wiccan section,. Any book on witchcraft was for Wiccans. Guess I keep going to Amazon.com for the best selections. :lolol:

I have that one somewhere in the depths of my stored boxes, lent to me a thousand years ago by someone who didn't asked for it back.

Yes, very Wiccan. :bunny:

What bothers me about most candlemagic books, they never actually explain why you should us which/what colors, etc. And they contradict each other as to what to use when.

Myself, I need to know the whys and whatfores of anything I do or it has no meaning, no purpose -- effectively, no power.

What bothers me about most candlemagic books, they never actually explain why you should us which/what colors, etc. And they contradict each other as to what to use when.

Myself, I need to know the whys and whatfores of anything I do or it has no meaning, no purpose -- effectively, no power.

I totally agree with you on that one, I'm always trying to find out the background on spells and also personalizing things to fit me and to work with how I see stuff. I think a good idea on candlemagic is making your own correspondance chart and the meaning colors have for you. I just read about how you can use a black candle instead of a specific colored candle that you don't have. I think that makes more sense than using a white candle as a substitute.

I used us a certain color for certain things, like red or pink for love, etc. Now I just basically use black or white. I do have an alter and I basically use 1 white candle and 2 candles of whatever color to go with the season. Soon I will be switching to spring colors to hopefully bring spring here quicker!!! Other then that, I'm not really picky on color. I do have a few things typed up tho if anyone may want a copy.

Guest lacross
I totally agree with you on that one, I'm always trying to find out the background on spells and also personalizing things to fit me and to work with how I see stuff. I think a good idea on candlemagic is making your own correspondance chart and the meaning colors have for you. I just read about how you can use a black candle instead of a specific colored candle that you don't have. I think that makes more sense than using a white candle as a substitute.

I have lots of books that contridict themselves so I have a makeshift correspondence chart and basically use waht feels right to me. I think any magic done works best when you are using your own interpretations of things (well, except for herbs!). In short, go with your gut!

Yes, I have to throw in my agreement here. As a newbie to candle magic I wondered whether I should buy a book on the subject which I will probably do and then alter the advice to my personal preferences.

I totally agree with the whole 'what works best for you' theory. Candles are a tool in the magical process and I have recently learnt that it's not the tool that has the power, it's purpose is to evoke the power from within yourself so the most important thing has to be what that tool brings forth from you (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm very receptive to smells, colours etc and they affect me greatly so I intend to go with my intuition when choosing which colour candle to use for which purpose. Obviously herb's are a different matter as these are specific for the purpose.

Things are slowly starting to become clear to me now since joining this wonderful board!

Yes, I have to throw in my agreement here. As a newbie to candle magic I wondered whether I should buy a book on the subject which I will probably do and then alter the advice to my personal preferences.

I totally agree with the whole 'what works best for you' theory. Candles are a tool in the magical process and I have recently learnt that it's not the tool that has the power, it's purpose is to evoke the power from within yourself so the most important thing has to be what that tool brings forth from you (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm very receptive to smells, colours etc and they affect me greatly so I intend to go with my intuition when choosing which colour candle to use for which purpose. Obviously herb's are a different matter as these are specific for the purpose.

Things are slowly starting to become clear to me now since joining this wonderful board!

You are absolutly correct. Candles just like all other objects are just tools. Use what feels right for you. Everyone is different and need different things to help them focus that energy. Use what works for you. Candles are there to help focus that energy. The intent is what really works.

As for the books, I do the same thing. If it is something I am just learning. I will read a book just to get the concept. Then, I alter it to what feels right to me.

Rebie

• 6 months later...
I have just ordered Michael Howard's Practical Guide to Candle Magic. What did you all think of this book and are there any other candle magic books I should take a look at?

I started reading this book over the weekend. I have decided to pass it on, as its not my cup of tea. It includes lots of angels and is heavy on the correspondences from western esoteric (read: ceremonial) magic, etc. Just not my line at all. It might be good for others, but if you want correspondences, Anjel recommended a great book ("Magician's Tables"?) recently that would be better.

He does include other tools for honing the focus, such as incense, tarot cards, etc. and the text is written so that the information is readily absorbed.

I did find it somewhat preachy at times. I can understand cautioning beginner's and this book might be aimed at them, but I found it off-putting.

So that's my two pence worth.

I don't think I have any books on candle magic per se, (I've thought about it though), but I'm surprised to hear of contradictions. Most all the sources I've read pretty much agree on color correspondences, w/ maybe the exception of black.

BTW, Richard Webster also has a "Candle Magic for Beginners" book, it should be free of the wiccan and ceremonial slants. Might be too basic though, though he does include sections on mixing candle magic with numerology, pendulums, etc..

http://books.google.com/books?id=YGDinMIsTW4C&printsec=frontcover&sig=ACfU3U2XtUKFZ6nCVAjRuKd1NxPHZXzWgg

What do you guys think of him? He's so prolific that it makes me go "hmm..". and, he's written books on cold reading for magicians, so I'm not really sure just how seriously to take this guy. He seems to be playing it from both ends.

I've never read any books that are specifcally on candle magic. I would probably disagree with them anyway, lol. I have three colours that I use...white - most of the time, black - sometimes, and red - when I feel the need. That does me and to be honest I have never felt the need for any others...I'm into plain and simple :stirring:(that's soup by the way...not a spell) :lol_witch:

I don't think I have any books on candle magic per se, (I've thought about it though), but I'm surprised to hear of contradictions. Most all the sources I've read pretty much agree on color correspondences, w/ maybe the exception of black.

BTW, Richard Webster also has a "Candle Magic for Beginners" book, it should be free of the wiccan and ceremonial slants. Might be too basic though, though he does include sections on mixing candle magic with numerology, pendulums, etc..

http://books.google.com/books?id=YGDinMIsTW4C&printsec=frontcover&sig=ACfU3U2XtUKFZ6nCVAjRuKd1NxPHZXzWgg

What do you guys think of him? He's so prolific that it makes me go "hmm..". and, he's written books on cold reading for magicians, so I'm not really sure just how seriously to take this guy. He seems to be playing it from both ends.

I agree with you about the contradictions on colors in books. Most do get their information from the same place, therefore same correspondences. But I have seen a few that were slightly different. Just slightly.

Rebie

I have a couple of books on candle magic I bought years & years ago - so long ago I don't even remember the authors or content.

Like just about any other aspect of magic, the use of candles is individualized ... and the colour correspondences vary depending on the path you choose (if you choose one).

I tend to use coloured candles much more often than black or white, and the correspondence is "Celtic" (as if we really know what that is). Mine all have herbs & essential oils in them (I make my own) and I key that with the type of spell I'm working on. It's a focus thing more than anything.

Not gonna pretty it up...I'm a cheap-ass witch. I'll buy/make scentless candles in whatever color I want at the time, then use whatever herbs/oil combos I wish to burn as well. I have these nifty little soapstone oil burners and I usually just mix my oils and sometimes a sprinkling of certain herbs and light 'em up. Tends to work out pretty well for me. As for books though, I don't have any candle magic books beyond the scrambled notebook I have made for myself...the typical correspondences don't quite jive with the emotions I attribute to colors. Like red/pink does not inspire love/compassion in me. Red brings wild passion, deep crimsons are angry while pink...pink makes me think of airheaded Fluffians. Yes, Fluffians.

Anywho...that would be my thoughts.

Not gonna pretty it up...I'm a cheap-ass witch. I'll buy/make scentless candles in whatever color I want at the time, then use whatever herbs/oil combos I wish to burn as well. I have these nifty little soapstone oil burners and I usually just mix my oils and sometimes a sprinkling of certain herbs and light 'em up. Tends to work out pretty well for me. As for books though, I don't have any candle magic books beyond the scrambled notebook I have made for myself...the typical correspondences don't quite jive with the emotions I attribute to colors. Like red/pink does not inspire love/compassion in me. Red brings wild passion, deep crimsons are angry while pink...pink makes me think of airheaded Fluffians. Yes, Fluffians.

Anywho...that would be my thoughts.

Yep, me too. I do not use all the colors according to the written correspondences. I go with what the colors make me feel like. Or what comes to my mind when planning.

Rebie

• 5 months later...
I have the following candle magick books that I keep handy just in case:

A Little Book of Candle Magic..........D.J.Conway

Exploring Candle Magick...........Patricia Telesco

Advanced Candle Magick.......Raymond Buckland

Buckland is a little too Wiccan in the ritual parts but he's good.

Morgana, what do you think of the DJ Conway book?

I've been looking for a candle magic book lately, not so much for myself, but to test the waters, as it were, with my SO (long story on another thread)

I've done some reading and researching but not sure whether to get that one, Telesco's book, or the Webster book.

I definitely don't want the Buckland books, too wordy and ritualistic.

I'm looking for something basic and easy, not too deep.