Valerie Worth

greenbeans

I once owned both these books. They are full of wonderful poetry, but not much else. I found I didn't need them, so culled them from my library. I have to say that my use of words has since changed and is removed from iambic pentameter and rhyming to something more akin to the gaelic way of using language in magic.

It would have been nice to keep them, but I just don't have the room.

I just finished reading the book of charms and I found it utterly charming! (excuse the pun...) So old fashioned, like something you discover in granny's attic. But don't you just love the way llewellyn feels the need to put a warning int he front that the curses were not created to be used.:crazy: Well why WERE they created then??

We had a similar heated discussion in the forum a while back. The warning is to prevent any law suits against the author because you always get ONE idiot who will do something stupid and end up claiming for damages. We live in the real world unfortunately.

I've read the 'book of words' as well now. I'm really glad I stumbled on these books, actually. Whilst I'm not sure how much practical application I'll get out of them they are very inspiring for a newbie like myself. You can really tell she was a poet, she puts things so wonderfully. Unlike some esoteric books which are full of awful, clumsy sentences this one is a work of art.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Adoring this author. I got the book of spells and charms, and it is so dear! I like how practical her herbal lore is and the fun ideas for making talismans of your own. I think our witches will like how this book does not have flowery goddess language, but still has fun rhyming and lots of variety of spells. I am not above using parts another's spell if it resonates with me. But I always add my own touch in one way or another. The words from one of these spells might find their ways into my workings.

I give this book 4 stars out of 5 stars. I find it rather useful, but since I don't usually follow spell books exactly it will have limited application.

I love her. I have both of her books that I bought used for I want to say like a $1 each (plus s&h) but I prefer Book of Charms and Spells over Magical Words. The Book of Charms and Spells has a section devoted to seasonal celebrations ("Ceremonies of the Year") and I love the poetry that goes along with that. I recite excerpts with my kids when we observe the seasons as a family. This one is just a small excerpt from one of my favorites from the Summer Solstice:

King of seasons, tower of light, Tree of fire, crest of flight,Eternal flower, crown of flame, Golden apex, summer's name, Sun our ruler, sun our lover, Son our father, sun or brother...Lo, on the flames of spring have we aspired toward thee,And on the wings of summer now we rise, On thy wings who are the father of all wings:Thy winged sphere our kingdom,Wither we ascend,Where we shall find our immortality Beyond time and space:The fires of they face and the fires of thy name Shall be our own transfiguration and redemption.

I'm not big on spell books, I always write me own or just do them without premeditation but I always love and am looking for meaningful inspiration.