Photo
- - - - -

Tattwa Magick and Divination cards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

Hey everyone!

I was given a book the other day on different types of High magick etc. The book was mostly fluff but it did make for an interesting read over coffee :P

However there was one part that got me very interested and that was Tattwa Magic which is a form of Hindu magick and divination, mainly represented in a set of cards. I also gave the instructions on how to make a deck. The deck is based around the elements ( eg air fire water earth and spirit) and the different combinations. However I cant seem to find any more info on this style of magick or how to use it, ( I"ve done a google search and altavista search but again nothing really stood out)

So I was wondering if anyone here may have some info on this practice...or a divination system that deals with the elements as I would love to try my hand at something similar. Is there any western equivalent that I've missed or passed over thats like this?

thanks for any help you can provide!
:pumpkin::pumpkin::pumpkin:

"My church is not of silver and gold,
Its glory lies beyond judgement of souls
The commandments are of consolation & warmth
You know our sacred dream won't fail
The sanctury tender and so frail
The sacrament of love
The sacrament of warmth is true
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#2 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:07 PM

Were these the Magical Tattwa Cards (Dr Jonn Mumford) published by Llewellyn?

There is a mention of the Tattwas as divination in a Golden Dawn book: "The Golden Dawn: A Complete Course in Ceremonial Magic"; this website has mention of Tattwas towards the bottom of the page; and there were eleven pages of results from a google with the words "tattwa" and "divination", so I won't list any more.

#3 Holly

Holly

Thaumatourgos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

If it was a Wiccan book, I hope they didn't make it up! I bet you could use the elements as a basis for making up your own divining tactics.

#4 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

Hi Holly! yes I was thinking if I couldnt find an alternative that was more based in western priciples of divination of making my own set up! :D

I did do a search in google but again didnt really find anything relevant besides the cards. But thanks for the search AC :) I think i might be looking for something that doesnt exist, but then it leaves it open for me to have complete creative control in making my own divination set up :D

The sacrament of love
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#5 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:03 AM

Neither of the links I provided above mentioned the cards, so I am a loss as to what you seek. On some forums where this system is mentioned, they refer to Osman Spare's sigil magic, Regardie also makes mention of Tattwa magic, "The Art and Practice of Creative Visualisation" also uses four elemental symbols, they can been seen on the front of the book. I presume you could also use these for divination should you so choose, the same as you would use any system.

#6 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:05 AM

Oh and no the book isnt wiccan, it has no principles or anything to do with Wicca and actually mentions this in the intro lol.

The book my friend gave me was called The Secrets of High Magic by Francis Melville. Its not how I would ever practice magic but it is an interesting reference book that looks at western and eastern styles of high magic and deals with everything from magic squares, sexual channelling with yoga for magic, enochian magic, kabala magic, greek and roman gods in magick, talismans etc.

As i said its interesting as a reference but not my style of practice...but the tattwa magick did get me interested enough to look into a divination system that dealt with the elements :)

The sacrament of love
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#7 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

lol sorry im so useless at writing down what i mean...Im really looking at a divination system LIKE the tattwa system but more relelvant to the western divination systems... more like a tarot based system instead of a visualisation and meditation system ( since im bad at meditation lol) but with elelments :D

and I was also asking if anyone had any experience with the tattwa yoga magick :) sorry to confuse

The sacrament of love
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#8 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:11 AM

Oh, I bought that book last time I was in Oz. I read it and then left it there. :flash:

#9 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

Hey everyone!

However there was one part that got me very interested and that was Tattwa Magic which is a form of Hindu magick and divination, mainly represented in a set of cards. I also gave the instructions on how to make a deck. The deck is based around the elements ( eg air fire water earth and spirit) and the different combinations.
So I was wondering if anyone here may have some info on this practice...or a divination system that deals with the elements as I would love to try my hand at something similar. Is there any western equivalent that I've missed or passed over thats like this?

thanks for any help you can provide!
:pumpkin::pumpkin::pumpkin:

I have a set of cards that was set up with the elements, some native american system (although I don't think they used cards) I have to be honest, I don't have the cards anymore but at one time I liked this system very well, and made the whole set out of wood, was practice of wood burning, so I have the whole set in thin blocks of wood. But I have moved and alot of things are still in boxes, will look for the book and let you know what it is about. I think it was publised by Bear & Co if that helps any.

Startella

#10 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

Thank you Startella! Atm, I'm in the process of ( very slowly mind you lol) making up a divination set, based on elements...Its been very interesting research to say the least ;)
The sacrament of love
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#11 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

Thank you Startella! Atm, I'm in the process of ( very slowly mind you lol) making up a divination set, based on elements...Its been very interesting research to say the least ;)

May be a lot of work in terms of research, etc. but I'm willing to bet that using your own system will be far more effective than anything already out there. :sunny:

#12 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

Your welcome Circelilith! I think that is very cool making your own set! Very interesting research too! Best of luck with it.:D

Startella