Cauliflower-Cheese Pie

Jaime

This is from the Moosewood cookbook. For those of you who haven?t heard of it, it?s one of the first vegetarian cookbooks on the market (one of the most popular anyway). I?ve made this pie four or five times. Each time I?ve changed it slightly (changing spices, adding/subtracting ingredients for the filling) and each time it?s comes out beautifully!

Cauliflower-Cheese Pie (with Grated Potato Crust)

1 hour to prepare

1 9? pie yields 4-5 servings

Convenience Tips: *Use food processor with grating attachment to grate cheese, potato and onion in that order. (No need to clean in between.) *Prepare the filling while the crust bakes

Crust:

2 cups (packed) grated raw potato

? c grated onion

? tsp salt

1 egg white, lightly beaten (I?ve mistakenly used the whole egg before, it turned out fine, but a little soggy on the bottom of the pie)

Flour for your fingers

A little oil

Filling:

1 Tbsp olive oil or butter

1 cup chopped onion

2 medium garlic cloves, minced

? tsp salt

Black pepper to taste

? tsp basil

? tsp thyme

1 medium head cauliflower, in small pieces

2 eggs (or 1 whole egg plus 1 egg white)

? cup milk (low fat ok)

1 cup (packed) grated cheddar (I?ve used combination or mozzarella and cheddar and that?s good too)

Paprika

1) Preheat oven to 400F. Oil a 9? pie plate/pan

2) Combine grated potato and onion, salt, and egg white in a small bowl and mix well. Transfer to the pie pan and pat into place with lightly floured fingers, building up the sides into a handsome edge.

3) Bake for 30 minutes, then brush the crust with a little oil and bake it 10 more minutes. Remove from oven, and turn the temperature down to 375F.

4) Heat the olive oil or butter in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs, and saut? over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, stir and cover. Cook until tender stirring occasionally (about 8-10 minutes).

5) Spread half the cheese onto the baked curst (ok if it?s still hot). Spoon the saut?ed vegetables on top, then sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Beat the eggs and milk together, and pour this over the top. Dust lightly with paprika.

6) Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until set. Serve hot or warm.

(If you find you?ve made too much filling and it fits in the pie but the milk/egg mixture doesn?t cover it enough, just add a bit more milk. I always add more cheese than necessary ? so yummy!!)

I have a pic of this cooked and looking really good, but I'll need a day or so to load it on (I've a new camera and am still not sure how it works! duh!)

That would be only one bite for me, but it would be a heavenly bite.

Good recipe.

I've been nostalgic for a bit of Shepherds pie lately. I make mine rather flavorful and spicy, so my Mom won't use so much salt.

I know that I mention her a great deal, but I live with her and am her caregiver when the Comfort Keepers aren't here. So I do most of her cooking.