witcha

greenbeans

has anyone read Witcha:A Book of Cunning by NJ Harris?

I think it looks really good! But I wanted to see what you lot thought before splashing out (can't exactly get it from the local library!):D

I've got this book on my Amazon wish list and in two minds whether to buy it or not as well.

It does seem good from the reviews its been given even thought Amazon's own synopsis doesn't say much...

Synopsis

WITCHA presents many secrets of English Witchcraft in plain language, giving details of widdershins and deosil circle casting, spell-craft, divination, spiritism, sabbats and esbats, sacrifice, entheogens, philosophy, history, and more besides. The focus is primarily upon those aspects commonly called 'operative witchcraft'.

Terri

I did own it once upon a time and I enjoyed it. It was a bit odd at times, and the author had some strange ideas. That said, I have heard the author seems to get a bit of giggle out of the book.

• 6 years later...

I have the paperback edition and the Homebrew edition. The paperback edition from Mandrake Press, follows the usual catch-all proceedure of getting your money and giving you a nuance of what the original book (by Capall Bann) was all about. Capall Bann's book got the 'treatment' on some selected editions - twelve of each colour red and black I am told. It has more information in that copy than in the Mandrake one since I have both. The Capall Bann copy had been re-backed with real leather by Nathaniel himself. The leather came from a settee, which was covered with Red and Black leather and the story goes that there was a bet on how many books Nathaniel could bookbind with the leather he had. I'm told by a source in Leicestershire that he managed to bind twelve books in Black Leather and Twelve books in Red Leather. I got the Red Leather one. Its bookmark for keeping your place is a home-worked piece of thick, waxed black  thonging with eight knots dutifully tied into the bookmark and presumably eight spells worked into each of those. At the end of this thong with an interesting sigil on one side is a piece of red leather in the shape of the Horned God Sigil done with the index and little finger. The book has quite a few pictures pasted into the pages that are not in the original Capal Bann book and the sigils are different too - and like the Sigils in Azoetia have been 'worked on' magically to capture the familiar spirit of the entity depicted  in the sigil. What is worrying is that one of the sigils is Lllith and one of the others is Sammael (the Angel of Death or Grim Reaper) :sad: ! There is a hand-written letter in the book by Ann (Nathaniel's Mother), and like Crowley has done with some of his books, he has signed it in red ink (it certainly isn't blood) as I've had it tested for that. How I got the book is more a case of I put out a wish to get one of these books and a situation occurred whereby it came to me with some surprise. How would I rate it? Well its a book, but Nathaniel Harris has put a lot of Love into the binding of this book - he has been careful in doing it - it wasn't a slap-dash job. On the other hand, it isn't a numbered Special Edition like Azoetia was, and it certainly didn't empty my credit card like Azoetia did! Azoetia is lavish. Witcha isn't - its sort of 'The rough guide to book-binding'! You can tell its home-bound but when you pick it up - every time in fact, I get the feeling that there are several snakes twisting and undulating in the book which doesn't go away until I put the book down. So its not for the squeamish though it may be of use to the student of Exoterica and the psychologist (for its odd feeling) when you pick it up. If you see the leather-bound copy in a bookshop - if you can afford it buy it and work out if your copy has odd sensations too. Foxman

Archived