More Slow Cookin'!

Holly

I have finally got around to doing some regular cooking with my slow cooker. I have just tried out soups so far, and I'm modifying a lot of the recipes I find in the Fix It And Forget It cookbook.

I don't know how well my methods will work for others, however... I don't measure anything, I just fill the slow cooker up to 3/4 full or more of the ingredients that I like or have on hand (a bit like my witchcraft practices, really). Anyway, here are two that I have tried and liked (I have modified them a bit to omit excessive sodium, fat, or starch):

Brown Jug Stew (for a 4/6 qt cooker)

2 10.5 oz cans low-sodium chicken broth

4 small red potatoes, diced (small red are less starchy)

3 cups carrots, cut 3 inches and sliced lengthwise

10 oz pkg frozen whole kernel corn

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can cream of chicken soup, reduced fat

1 Tbsp onion powder

Dump everything in the cooker. If you have a smallish cooker like me (4 qts), cook on low for about 5-6 hours, high for about 3 hours. You can also add celery to this, I just don't like it :)

Garlicky Tuscan Vegetable Soup w/ Turkey Sausage (4-6 qts)This one was pretty much compiled from a few different recipes but I just threw in what I had on hand. The cooker is beginning to feel like a cauldron!

1 cup baby carrots

4 small red potatoes

2 16ish oz cans Great Northern Beans, undrained (or soak dry beans)

1 pkg turkey sausage links (I like the sausage so I used the whole pkg)

1 large carton beef broth (16 oz? I don't have the carton anymore, whoops)

1 garlic clove

1 onion

1 Tbsp olive oil

I heated the olive oil in a skillet and tossed in a small slice of onion and the minced bits of the garlic clove. Saute that for a few minutes, then throw in the turkey sausage links. Cut the links up while you cook them to bite-sized bits, then throw them in the slow cooker with the carrots, potato, beans (and if you like it, more onion slices). Then pour in the beef broth until the cooker is almost full (I used the whole carton, I don't like leftover broth). Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 5. Serve with crusty white Tuscan bread (I bought some fresh from a local bakery). Yum!

I have noted the cooker works best when almost full, so I used a whole carton of reduced-sodium beef broth. That way I also didn't have to thin it down with water.

Damn...reading this makes me realize just how hungry I am right now! LOL!

Thanks luv...I could always use another crock pot recipe :)

Umm, Anjel honey...please remove the spider webs from your crockpot first, k? ;) LOL!!!

Yay! I hope you can use it :) Also, on second though, I would reduce the cooking time of the Tuscan soup to about 3 hours on high, 6 on low... it got to boiling when I let it cook longer last time.

Archived