• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Whispering Willow

Whispering Willow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:19 AM

This recipe came handed down to me and we've used it ever since.

Elderberries (fresh or dried)
Sugar
Water

Gently boil elderberries in water for approximately 15 minutes. Pour boiled water and elderberries through cheese cloth or coffee filter. Give the berries a little squeeze. Add water and sugar back to pot and reduce til syrup like consistency. You may make this into a jelly as well, by following the directions on any pectin packet too.
I've never used any measurements, so apologies for the lack thereof. We not only use this on waffles and pancakes and crepes, but taken daily during the school year as an immunity booster. The kids get a teaspoon to 2 teaspoons depending on their size and my teen, myself and SO take 2 teaspoons daily, though you may want to check for dosage specific to your needs from someone knowledgable in such matters. My children used to catch every little bug that came around and it would spread through the family like wildfire until we began taking this. We hardly ever suffer through an illness now and we've been implementing this handy little syrup for roughly 4 years now.
Though you'll want to watch how long you keep this, there are no preservatives and it much be refridgerated.

#2 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:23 AM

I have tinctured elderberry, as well as a commercially prepared elderberry syrup called Sambucol. I alternate taking both. I rarely, rarely ever get sick. :) When I do get sick, I up the amount I take and it goes away very quickly.

Thanks for the recipe!

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#3 Sara

Sara

Questioner of all things!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

I have never tasted elderberries, so what can you equate them to? I have a son who is picky when it comes to stuff that is taken like medicine.:rolleyes:
"Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." - Plato

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

#4 Whispering Willow

Whispering Willow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

"I have never tasted elderberries, so what can you equate them to? I have a son who is picky when it comes to stuff that is taken like medicine.:rolleyes: "

This is a difficult question to answer as its in a class of its own. I would say the closest description I could come up with would be a watered down blueberry/raspberry combination, though not quite. I know Sambucol adds a raspberry syrup to play off the elderberry and I sometimes add it to mine as well. I've also mixed it with blueberries when I've made it. Its a really mild flavor on its own. I purchase my elderberries at Vitamin Cottage, and they're only a couple of dollars for a bag of of dried berries. So it would be rather inexpensive to try the flavor out yourself. You could simply boil them in the water and add some honey or sugar to taste..that way you don't have to go through the whole process of making the syrup only to find that it isn't liked. You can experiment with it in the watery form, by adding other fruit etc to find a combo you and yours liked. Its just a suggestion.
Hope this helps in some way.

#5 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:41 AM

OOOH definately going to try this one! Theres a company here who has started marketing coke size bottles of elderflower mineral waters and thats become exceedingly popular here esp since its cheaper than buying some of the top market soft drinks and mineral waters :)
"My church is not of silver and gold,
Its glory lies beyond judgement of souls
The commandments are of consolation & warmth
You know our sacred dream won't fail
The sanctury tender and so frail
The sacrament of love
The sacrament of warmth is true
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#6 Whispering Willow

Whispering Willow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:46 AM

OOOH definately going to try this one! Theres a company here who has started marketing coke size bottles of elderflower mineral waters and thats become exceedingly popular here esp since its cheaper than buying some of the top market soft drinks and mineral waters :)

Oh those sound yummy! Elderflower water. Hmmm, something worth considering. I'll have to brew some up and give it a go.

#7 Greenfeet

Greenfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:28 PM

I use elderflowers in the tea mix I make for cold & flu remedy.

Some people just don't like elderberry flavor, though I love it. For some people drying the berries first makes the taste less offensive. My husband, who doesn't like elderberry much, prefers the taste of remedies using the elderflowers.

A friend of mine makes awesome elderberry wine as well as an amazing elderflower wine. Yummy. The only problem is her wines don't last long. They keep disappearing. :wink:

#8 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

Whiterose and Michele's posts about elderberry today and RaineyLane's status about feeling sick got me to thinking about elderberry syrup and all it's awesomeness, so bumping this.  :cauldron04:

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore