Photo
- - - - -

witchy music

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 greenbeans

greenbeans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

I wondered what is everyone's favourite music with a witchy feel?

Mine are:

Beth Gibbons "Out of Season"- gorgeous autumnal tunes with a certain Wicker Man feeling to themand lyrics about trees...love it.

Joanna Newsom-"Ys" hippy harpist who sings about bears and monkeys and magical happenings. didn't like her at first but I'm really into her now even if she is unforgivably pretty!:mad:

Bat for Lashes- "Fur and Gold"- the most amazingly magical album ever IMO! makes me want to ride off on a magical horse and go on a quest :)

and PJ Harvey's song 'Grow Grow Grow' which is so haunting...her lyrics are hard to get but it seems to be about a young girl planting a seed... nature's magic and female secrets passed from mother to daughter

#2 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

HHmm...yeah anything by Leisem is always good and Loreena McKinnit is good as well...VAS is another extremely good group to listen to.

#3 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

Wendy Rule's albums are very witchy (and pagan); the album Songs of Witchcraft and Magic is a folk music compilation that I truly enjoy; and Alex and Michelle Garcia Diaz do a wonderful album called Sacred Chants, which puts me into a trance almost before the first track is finished; and I love the Mediaeval Babes as well.

I have always enjoyed Enya's music and that of Lisa Gerrard, too - they often invoke images of magic in my mind's eye.

#4 Sara

Sara

Questioner of all things!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

I would have to say Enya is my favorite. There are a couple on here that I have not even heard of. Off to check them out....:D
"Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." - Plato

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

#5 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

So I checked them out and I have new people I like! WOOT!

Wendy Rule, Mediaevle Baebes, PJ Harvey, VAS and Bat for Lashes so far have my attention.

As cheesy as this sounds, I liked Loreen McKinnitt's singing so much, it literally brought tears to my eyes and made me think of my honeymoon. Wow. So lovely...thanks Anjel!:flirt:

"Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." - Plato

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

#6 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,650 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:15 AM

You're welcome )

#7 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:05 AM

Currently in my que: "Weaving the Strands : Music By Contemporary Native American Women"

Go HERE to check them out.

#8 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

Not bad at all Leigh! I liked the Earth Prayer song. *goes to add yet another album to her list*:D

#9 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

I love Loreena Mckennit. Enya is one of my fav's to. I love drumming and chanting. The Celestine prophecy is not a witchy CD, but it is great for me when meditating. Also the first song on the CD is my flying song. I can close my eyes , get into a trance and then I am flying. You guys should try it.
Rebie

#10 Terri

Terri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

Secret Garden are good too, I listen to them alot.

There official site is here: http://www.secretgarden.no/

Terri

#11 StarChilde

StarChilde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:14 PM

My favourites would be Ravenswing and Blackmore's Night. I also like Enya.

StarChilde

#12 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

Nico - Chelsea Girl http://www.amazon.co...o/dp/B000001FOL

Jane Siberry - When I was a Boy http://www.amazon.co...38071561&sr=1-1

Julee Cruise - Floating into the Night http://www.amazon.co...38071722&sr=1-1

anything by Bjork

These albums make me feel particularly witchy.

#13 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

I don't know of that much material that seem suitable (yet) and I'll likely create me own, but, I do like "October Project", at least back when they had Mary Fahl singing with them. (First two CDs).
http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#14 Patrima

Patrima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:59 AM

Dead Can Dance, and I have to agree with ElizabethNicks- Nico is (was) always perfect.

#15 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:01 AM

Nox Arcana :D

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#16 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:09 AM

barry manilow.....:roflhard:

#17 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:45 AM

oh yeah, Lea, nothing like Barry singing "Mandy" to get me into a conjuring mood!:rofl:

#18 Luna

Luna

LunaTechChick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:54 AM

oh yeah, Lea, nothing like Barry singing "Mandy" to get me into a conjuring mood!:rofl:

:lolol::laugh1:

"I'm not saying, I'm just saying..."

#19 Grimalkin

Grimalkin

The grumpy one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:49 AM

Not really witchy, but I am a Blue Oyster Cult fan. For spiritual moods, I like the Apache band "Ah Nee Mah" and their "Ancient Voices" album.

Posted Image
Life's only souvenir is the love we have for each other.

#20 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:49 AM

:lolol::laugh1:

lol...yeah, I was in a "mood" last night!

But seriously, I find a lot of music from the 70's and 80's can "take me there", especially the 70's, without any other influence. Plus there is a lot of Native American music I like.