Photo
- - - - -

Cartomancy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#21 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

I want to strictly concentrate on using my regular deck. I have a tendency to hop around, be a jack of all trades and master of none... LOL!

Gads that sounds just like me! :lol_witch: I have all my cards put aside in box when we moved. After looking at that site I had to buy a deck of regular playing cards and I know another style of divination to learn, but they really drew me in. This time I plan to stick with it and try to master these.

I do have a stint of teaching the Runes for the next 7 weeks though, don't know how I got talked into that one...LOL

#22 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:49 PM

Hey how is everyone doing that started looking into cartomancy? I just love it. The readings have been so good! I have been practicing almost everyday. I actually think that you get more from these cards than the tarot. What does anyone else think?

#23 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

The cards are always better than tarot IMO... but of course I'm biased because I grew up with them.

I have yet to bring my grandmother's out of hiding, but I am getting some new ones for myself. I like a bigger, thicker size and it's hard to find those sometimes.

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#24 Guest_Bean Sprite_*

Guest_Bean Sprite_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

This is funny, because cartomancy is how my mother taught me to read tarot. She did it kind of like a game when we were young, until it became second nature.
I actually prefer my bicycles at times to my regular tarot deck. I felt a deep connection with them.

#25 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:32 AM

I just ordered a black deck of playing cards. I can't wait til they get here so I can try them out!!

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#26 moonkitty

moonkitty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

TFS! I frequent that site for the herblore and such, but have never really read about the card reading.
~"In Witchcraft, each of us must reveal our own truth."~

#27 Guest_Wealhtheow_*

Guest_Wealhtheow_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:14 PM

Yep, the Hedgewytch site rocks and the tutorial on fortune telling with playing cards is great! I am thinking of picking it up myself.

I am interested to know what some of you mean by playing cards being more effective? Is it because they have different or simpler meanings? Or are they simply more accurate for you? So far I've only used the Tarot...I am curious to see if I find there is a difference as well.

Good luck to you all in your studies!

Wealhtheow

#28 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:30 AM

Greetoings All

LOL This is what I get for missing staff meetings!!

Well I don't think I have ever been to this site - will have to squizz it later.

None the less it was just this last week that I wrote out a version I found and use to this end ... here is the doc I put in another list ohh about a week ago. The method is the same, (that is apprently quite old *shrugs* no matter to me I just want it to work! lol) though i find it best not to ask questions and that the middle card is a clue to the key of the whole issue and of course my meanings are a bit more "rock and roll" as the saying goes .. no surprises there. lol

Enjoy

Scott

This sounds at first rather long and complicated but it really doesn't
take much to get used to ...

Take the deck and discard the 6 - 2 cards inclusive. Keep them off to
one side for some fun later as they can alone more accurately address
interpersonal communicative issues - but more on that one a day when I
actually have the time to type up that system! lol

Anyhoo here is the go.

You shuffle em up and cut three times (well why not everyone else
does! lol) Anyhoo that done, select thirteen cards out at random and
put the other nineteen to one side.

Lay them in a line in front of you.

Now consider yourself and look for your Significator.

Hearts - Fair and Young
Diamonds - Middling fair
Clubs - Middling Darker
Spades - Darker Older

Amusingly enough if you are grey you get to go back to hearts! Yok yok!

Anyhow .. scan through and find your card. If you find it good sign.
If not look for the seven of that same suit which is a reference to
the mystery that protects you. If you find that fine ..

If you find neither - forget it until tomorrow.

Having found one of these two cards count it as "One" and slide it up
slightly so you can spot it out of the line quickly. Now count along
to five. Slide that fifth one up slightly like the significator.

Now count that card as "One" and go along till the fifth and slide it
up. When you reach the end of the line start from the opposite end
still counting. (That is to say if the last card is "Three" the first
card on the other end will be "four".)

Do this until you have five cards (Significator included) slid up
slightly.

Now select five cards at random from the nineteen you set aside and
place them with the five slid up.

Then you read these five sets of two in turn.

Then you read the two ends, then the two positions one card in from
the end, then the position two cards in from the end and etc. When you
get to a position that is one of the five slid up sets you take the
meaning of all three.

That final middle card will give you a sneaky peek at your actual
fated fortune where this issue is concerned.

NOW reshuffle the line of cards and deal them into three equal piles.
The first is the future. The second is the environment as far as
family and friends etc. The third is the things to bear in mind and it
never ceases to cast some light to be considered on the other two - it
adds or modifies the info you got so far.

If you doubt and gods know I did as it was all too "pat" for my
tastes .. then reshuffle the piles and then read them in twos as they
come - it will confirm any fuzzy points.

Hearts: Love, Affection, Friendship, Sympathy, Family, Peace

Ace - Sympathy, a new joy, an invitation
King - Happy Man the friendly Monarch
Queen - Happy Woman the friendly Monarch
Knave - The Upright and Faithful Squire
10 - Success, Union - the Manor House
9 - A wish granted, a happy result
8 - Unexpected visit, unexpected gift
7 - Someone supports/loves you truly (generally unknown)

Diamonds: Connections, Networks, Progress, Travel, Cash

Ace - Networks and Cash, an important document
King - Powerful Man - the Lord Protector
Queen - Powerful Woman - The Socialite
Knave - Official in Uniform (real or otherwise) - The Herald
10 - The Journey
9 - A business proposal
8 - A Party, A Picnic an opportunity to network
7 - A Gift

Clubs: Power, Fame, Business, Ability, Work

Ace - Wheeling and dealing, shrewd moves
King - Business Man - The CEO
Queen - Business Woman - The Power behind the Throne
Knave - The Corporate Samurai, The Suitor
10 - A Done Deal, A Merger, a Marriage, A Promotion or Raise
9 - Marrying Money or Power, Shrewd Invention pays off
8 - The Front Girl, Secretary, A Small Sum, Hierarchy - What IS
7 - The Hidden Child - the Heir/ess, Learning Secrets

Spades: Misfortune, Treachery, Betrayal, Strife, Loss and Mourning

Ace - Lawsuit, Marriage Certificate, Contract
King - The Dark Judge, The Lawyer
Queen - The Widow, a Dark Cunning Woman
Knave - The Dark Youth - The Treacher
10 - Vexations, Jealousy and Bad News
9 - Misfortune at the door, illness in the bed, Plots
8 - Hurdles, blocks and detours to delays
7 - Burdensome and tedious advice to what end?

And often there are more people and situations involved so you get
doubles:

4 Kings - Honours and Dignities
3 Kings Successful Undertakings
2 Kings Business friends respect and reward effort

4 Queens Quarrels, Gossip and Scandal
3 Queens Society and Convention
2 Queens Consultation, Petty Gossip

4 Jacks - Treachery, Strife
3 Jacks - Disputes, Affront and Friction
2 Jacks A Bill, Disagreements and Demands

4 Tens - Prosperity and Fortune
3 Tens - Legalities and Money worries
2 Tens - An Unexpected Windfall

4 Nines - A Lucky Surprise
3 Nines - A Successful Issue
2 Nines - Blockages on the way

4 Eights - Some Good Some Bad - Anxiety
3 Eights - Support of Family and Friends
2 Eights - A Love affair, a secret deal

4 Sevens - Enemies lay traps for you
3 Sevens - Additions to your circle
2 Sevens - A Lover, a Partner, An Ally

4 Aces - Triumph over Adversity
3 Aces - Naivet and Credulity
2 Aces - A Marriage, A Merger, The Future

4 Reds - a Bed for close lovers
4 Blacks a Bed for strange malady
3 Reds - News of friends
3 Blacks Intrigue and the calumny of folly
2 Reds - Friendly Meetings
2 Blacks - Serious Business

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#29 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:01 AM

This is eerily similar to the method my grandmother used. :D

Thanks for the post.

#30 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:50 AM

Because of this thread, I've been trying to remember exactly how my grandmother did her readings (layouts, etc) and for the life of me, I just can't remember it all. This is super distressing to me!! :-( I DO know that she did remove some of the deck, as Scott indicates in his post above. She took out the 2's - 6's, and kept Aces and 7+.

That being said, I use the whole deck - and things are just SO foggy for me. When my grandmother was alive, I used to be able to sit and look at them, and just run off at the mouth with what it all meant. I tried to do a reading for Arabi last night and all I got was "something" about her grandmother, and Josh and the horses showed, but with no meaning that I could discern. UGH. I don't know what's blocking me.

I DID decide that I'm going to divine my own meanings for each card, basically make sure that what I know is what I know (if that makes sense) and write everything down in a blank journal that I've had for some time but didn't know quite what to use it for. This is going to take me a while... but I feel that I will get better readings as a result, as the cards will have meanings that came from my own mind, and therefore my intuition will shine forth a bit brighter.

#31 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:53 AM

AND, I forgot to add... I got my black deck in and I LOVE it!! :D

#32 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

When I was a kid, I had no one to teach me how to read cards or do any type of divination. I taught myself by just messing around with the cards.
There is one way I used to do it that worked everytime. Keep in mind I was a kid so it may seem silly, or more work than necessary. But it worked and still does to this day. Reading Scotts post I noticed a little similarity. For instance, Hearts are good or absolutely yes, diamonds are okay, a maybe or good chance. Clubs are not so good, maybe not and not a good chance. Then Spades are not good ,definatly not going to happen or definatly no. I usually lay down all the Jacks or queens in that order, then ask my questions and draw the cards. I only go up to thirteen. During that time I ask thirteen questions pertaining to my inquiry. (sometimes it can be hard to come up with thirteen. LOL) As I draw the card, I lay that card under the jack or queen of that suit. At the end I see who has the most cards under them and that gives me my overall answer.
Just thought I would share.
Rebie

#33 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

AND, I forgot to add... I got my black deck in and I LOVE it!! :D

What kind, KW? My absolute favorite deck is black Tally Ho 's, with the "fan back" design.. they look absolutely mystical!
(First picture)

(They also make a "Viper" deck, with the faces reversed in color (black rather than white!) if you really like the dark look. (Sorry, no pic)

Another gorgeous deck is the "David Blaine" split Aces deck, also made in black (or red) . (Second picture).

Ellusionist, a site for magicians, has some absolutely gorgeous decks, from the "Tiger" and "Viper" decks, to the "Ghost" deck, which comes in both reversed and "normal" mode (if you can call it normal). The Ghost deck special "Gaff cards" are really sweet, I love the "Skull Kings". (Third picture).

http://www.ellusioni...laying cards.do

Attached Files

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#34 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:14 AM

Mine is "The Black Deck" by Bicycle. Here's a pic:

Attached File  41tStMwPdJL.jpg   27.27KB   15 downloads

I really do love this deck. That being said, I really do want a Ghost deck, and a Tiger deck as well. :eheheh:

#35 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:15 AM

Mine is "The Black Deck" by Bicycle. Here's a pic:

[ATTACH]1218[/ATTACH]

I really do love this deck. That being said, I really do want a Ghost deck, and a Tiger deck as well. :eheheh:

I really like that Black Deck. Real cool.
Rebie

#36 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:15 AM

Oooo KW...I love that deck!!! Where did you obtain such a magnificent deck?
[URL="http://usamericanpolitics.ning.com/"][/URL]

#37 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:22 AM

I was looking around for new cards online, and stumbled across Ellusionist. They've got awesome decks. Their site is www.ellusionist.com - you can go there and check out the decks, then search on eBay and Amazon to get the best price, although some of the decks sell out VERY quickly.

I bought mine from Amazon. :D

#38 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:27 AM

I was looking around for new cards online, and stumbled across Ellusionist. They've got awesome decks. Their site is www.ellusionist.com - you can go there and check out the decks, then search on eBay and Amazon to get the best price, although some of the decks sell out VERY quickly.

I bought mine from Amazon. :D

The ghost deck looks really awsome. I would like to have that one.
Rebie

#39 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:39 AM

I have a couple of Ghost decks, a couple of Tiger decks, one Viper deck, a couple of the D. Blaine decks, some I didn't mention before, and also one of the same Black Bicycle decks that KW has - that particular deck is not just "black" as you can see (which usually only refers to the back design color) but the faces are "reversed" or black, too, and it's design was commissioned by US Playing Card Co. (Bicycle among others) for Magic Makers Inc. http://www.magicmake.../blackdeck.html
They also make red, yellow, green, blue, and purple decks!! (plus trick decks)

I mention this because USPC also makes a regular "black" deck but where the faces of the cards are the normal white, and in this case "black" refers only to the back design.
So if you buy a "black" deck online, just make sure you know which one you're getting.

If you're wondering why on earth I have so many damn card decks ;) , it's because of my magician background. I just had to buy one or two every time a new deck came out on the market.
I think that out of all of the more modern radical decks, personally, I like the Ghost deck best. It's very elegant. The card stock itself is also very high quality.
There's definitely lots to choose from! There are now almost as many (but not quite) playing card themes as there are tarot themes.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#40 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

I tried the way that Scott suggested but since I already started with using the whole deck I decided to keep it that way. I think I was confusing myself. LOL! I am still practicing with the deck. I think that maybe I will start putting a journal together for the cards too. The other day my cards went missing and I found that they were playing regular cards with them. UGH, I was in the store that night and I picked up this deck. Since they are all the same color I seem to look at the cards more, which is helping me learn them even better. HAHA don't ya just love the lime green cards! Actually I love this deck.

Attached Files

Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)