Photo
- - - - -

Cartomancy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

I did a search on this, but only found mention of the hedgewytchery site, so I thought I would offer up an alternative method of reading with ordinary playing cards.

Attached Files

#2 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:51 PM

Thank you so very much! I wanted to learn this for so long!

#3 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:05 AM

Actually I really like the Hedgewytch site; it has an excellent tutorial for reading ordinary cards. It starts out basic, and then goes from there. Give it a looksee: http://www.hedgewytc...cartomancy.html

My grandmother read cards for many, many years - since way before I was born in '67 - and I can only wish to ever have half the skill she did. She was phenomenal.

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#4 Sara

Sara

Questioner of all things!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

I really like that site KW. No one does quite as good of a job explaining how to read regular playing cards than that site.:D
"Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." - Plato

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

#5 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

When I was a young child I developed my own way of reading regular playing cards. It is not exactly as discribed in the site, but it had some similarities. It worked for me back then. I grew up and received Tarot cards and I just could not read them as well. They always seem to overwelm me. For some reason I have not read the playing cards much as an adult. But after reading this site, I will definatly give it a try again. It really seems like something that is right up my alley.
Thanks,
Rebie

#6 Guest_Kathrina_*

Guest_Kathrina_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

I did a search on this, but only found mention of the hedgewytchery site, so I thought I would offer up an alternative method of reading with ordinary playing cards.

Ahh, yes. I like that site. Thank you. :)

#7 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

I did it. I went out and purchased a new deck of playing cards and used them. One of my friends called me a few days after I purchased them and asked for a reading. I was excited to give it a go. It had been so long since I used regular playing cards. It worked out good. Just to make sure I did pull out the tarot to see if the answer was similar. Both decks agreed with each other. I feel more comfortable using the playing cards. So I will start using them more.
Rebie

#8 Terri

Terri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

I started looking into this a few weeks ago and I'm getting really accurate readings! I love it!

It's also giving me clearer meanings than the tarot for at the moment.

Terri

#9 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 06:27 PM

Hey I just tried this out and I love it. I am going to make a little notebook and practice some more!

:omg: I love the new smilies! (again) lol

"Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." - Plato

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

#10 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

I first got introduced to Cartomancy last summer at the local Pagan Pride Day celerbration. I was thinking about having a reading from some one else, and the woman and I started talking. Eventually she sat down and did a reading for me. I was amazed and confused by how she could understand playing cards. I had some what heard of it before, but always assumed it was a thing of the past.

I later found out that my Great Grandmother read playing cards. My mother always told me of her skill and how she loved it. This is something I have started ti study and practice. I have used a bunch of books and some websites. However I'm figuring that if I do it "my way" it will feel right.

Right now when I take the time to work on my divination (I try to do so an hour a day) I take each card individually and meditate on it for a few moments. I record the images I get as what the card means to me.

Some times it's close to what some of the books say, and others it's completely off. I often wonder if trusting my intuition as to what the cards mean is the right way to do things. However I am doing my best and thus far my readings have been accurate.

The more time I spend with my cards the more I feel them and welcome them into my life. I have 2 decks for Cartomancy. One I use for training and practice on myself, and the other I typically use for when I read for others. I could use the same deck, and probably will some day. For now though I keep my training deck and reading deck separate.

For me it's connecting to a family practice. It's not my ancestral practice (as I am adopted), but it is still a part of my family. After all I believe I was ment to be born into this family, just circumstances changed that factor and I found another way into my family.

#11 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:19 PM

Learning this also helps you out with Tarot reading. It has been a little more difficult for me to do this because I am a visual person. But wonderful all the same.

#12 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

Learning this also helps you out with Tarot reading. It has been a little more difficult for me to do this because I am a visual person. But wonderful all the same.

Really now? That's interesting.

#13 Sara

Sara

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

LOL! What part are you referring too?

And yes it helps. Learning what the numbers are associated with and the combinations can help you with the same combos in Tarot. I believe that Cartomancy requires much more of an effort and memorization as there are just the pips to guide you. But like I said I am a visual person.

I also believe that Astrology will help you find deeper meanings in both of these also (and visa versa) as there are 22 Astrological signs and 22 cards in the Major Arcana.

Learning the Tree of Life, which is an illustration of the 22 Cabbalic Sounds will also help you get a deeper meaning.

There is also 22 "Causal Powers" which also relate.

:stars: ;)

#14 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:22 PM

I guess I had never thought of using Cartomancy to help me understand the Tarot and vise versa. I see them as different and with different meanings for the different cards, but I also haven't spent the time with my Tarot cards as I have with my Cartomancy Cards.

#15 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

Looks like a good site! Thank you. I will get in to it as soon as I get this space cleared out. The house is cluttering my mind and making me crazy/unbalanced.
It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#16 smilinirisheyes_1

smilinirisheyes_1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:35 AM

Wonderful site!!! I will give it a closer look as soon as I get thru with some other studying I'm tryin' to do this week.

#17 Guest_StandingStone_*

Guest_StandingStone_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:17 AM

I am no expert, but.......
It seems to me that there is a blind in there.
Clubs........... for work
Spades......... for trouble
Shouldn't it be the other way round?

#18 Guest_Tiger Lady_*

Guest_Tiger Lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

Oh wow... this is really fascinating. I have been wondering about reading cards myself for a while. In fact, it popped into my mind again a couple of days ago. I just never thought there would be a tutorial on it. Cool... I will be checking it out.

#19 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:57 AM

KW, wow this site is really good! I had to go out and get a new deck of cards to try it out, and I too love it. I'm also making a notebook and practicing.

I don't know about any of you, but I am finding that my readings are or seem more indepth than I usually get from Tarot or my Runes.. anyone else feel this way too?

#20 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:08 AM

Yep, the Hedgewytch site is the shizz!! LOL!

I haven't done any readings lately due to me being so depleted... but I'm fixin' to rev up again. I am thinking that the tarot is pretty much going to be laid aside... as well as the Lenormands... I want to strictly concentrate on using my regular deck. I have a tendency to hop around, be a jack of all trades and master of none... LOL!

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina