Receipe Needed From UK

Morgana

My Mom was British and she made a bread (?) called Yorkshire Pudding to go with our big Sunday dinners. I had the receipe at one time but can no longer find it. Does anyone recognize the name of this? Any one care to share the receipe?

Thank you so much!!! :cool:

Yes Morgana, no problem. Beat two eggs, add a little salt, some milk (not too much at first, you can always add more later), mix 4 ounces of plain flour into the mixture, until it is nice and smooth ( this is where you add a little more milk if needed).

Put a small amount of lard into a suitable tin and put into a hot oven, leave about 5 min until the lard is well melted and very hot, givethe pudding mixture another stir, pour into the tin and put back into the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes.

:)

Thank you so very much......it sounds just like the one I had. One exception is my Mom used beef juice instead of lard. At least I never saw here use lard. Maybe thats why I never cooked it that often, didn't taste like hers. This weekend I will make it.

I'll have to post my receipe for Fry Bread, its Native American and very similar except you fry it!!!!!! I'll look for it and post it later.

I think you mean beef dripping {which is basically the same as lard because its the fat off the beef} Apparantly the only rule of thumb with yorkshires is make sure your fat is really hot before you put the batter in .

Yes Soap Fairy that is the secret, I would use beef dripping myself if it was available, mind you I suppose veggies would use a vegetable substitute. Either way I still like my Yorkshire puds;)

I made the pud yesterday....what a treat from the past. Even my kids loved it. But, life is funny around here, my hubby was digging around in the basement in some boxes and found my receipe from my mom. They are exactly the same but mum loved salt and added 1/2 teaspoon in. I used about an 1/8. IT WAS SOOOOO GOOD!!!! Thanks so much!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can I use something besides milk? I am allergic but it sounds so good. Would mayo work? Anything? The only dairy I can take is butter. But that's it.

It sounds soo good though!

What are Lincolnshire toads? Eggs and toast?

Soya milk works ok. I don't use beef dripping/lard or salt and its still ok.

Try making it without the salt then serving it hot with ice cream and golden syrup....;)

Can I use something besides milk? I am allergic but it sounds so good. Would mayo work? Anything? The only dairy I can take is butter. But that's it.

It sounds soo good though!

What are Lincolnshire toads? Eggs and toast?

Hi just thought I would chip in here, I make my yorkshire puds slightly differently to the version given here and it's a version that I think you could use.

I use self raising flour (and a pinch of salt) and however much flour I use, I double up on liquid. I don't use milk at all in my liquid just a large egg and then top up with water to the amount needed. Hope that helps.

Oh and I'm not sure if you are referring to the same thing but toad in the hole ia a large yorkshire pudding with sausages in :)

Hi just thought I would chip in here, I make my yorkshire puds slightly differently to the version given here and it's a version that I think you could use.

I use self raising flour (and a pinch of salt) and however much flour I use, I double up on liquid. I don't use milk at all in my liquid just a large egg and then top up with water to the amount needed. Hope that helps.

Oh and I'm not sure if you are referring to the same thing but toad in the hole ia a large yorkshire pudding with sausages in :)

Yes thats the one, we can't get decent British sausages here in the states, but my wife does make regular yorkshire pud as quoted above, without the milk.

Yes thats the one, we can't get decent British sausages here in the states, but my wife does make regular yorkshire pud as quoted above, without the milk.

oops..........I should remember to engage my brain before engaging in communications, my wife uses half milk, half water, she's only been making it for twenty something years, you'd have thought I would have noticed at least once during that time!!!

Yay! Thank you! That was quite helpful! Now I just need self-raising flour.:hug:

For those of you who would like to use the self-raising flour recipe and don't know how to make it here you go.

Self-Raising Flour

4 cups flour

2 tsp. salt

2 Tbsp. baking powder

This makes one pound of self-raising flour

I am going to try this today and feed it to my son!:evillaugh:

Archived