#161 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:40 AM

holy crap... that took a turn.

Hufford's book is not a book of 'little remedies.' It is a very though and unbiased long term study and exploration of the phenomenon of sleep paralysis. It is writing from the perspective of a folklorist and scholar. He does not attempt to tell you the reason he thinks it occurs. He merely presents the facts and case studies, and allows you to form your own opinion. He does explore the beliefs surrounding it, demons, witches, ect, as well the beliefs of the medical and scientific community on what causes it. Certainly that has a value beyond being something to throw at an intruder lol. Knowledge is power after all.

I accidentaily voted up your post when I meant to Quote it instead.

Yes, knowledge is power. But book knowledge isn't the only power a witch has access to.

It's clear you were helping by offering information you found useful. My comment was not to undermine your suggestion or the information presented in the book, however, if someone is under attack there isn't time enough to find a book, purchase it, read, it and put whatever practice is advises into action. That's all.

On a personal note: Most of what I've read in books about protection (not the one suggested) are light and little remedies that won't stop a higher level entity or an advanced practitioner from attacking. So, YMWV.
Hats off to my peers who have wisely pointed this out.

@RG: I am so sorry that my post left you defending it. I am also grateful that you understood the "mentor-y" 'spirit' in which it was intended. You're a smart woman who will do whatever is required for peace-of-mind based on sound magical practice... even it means getting tough. I feel sorry for the next thing that tries to mess with you that way !!! Which, really is the whole point.

@RR... Never heard of new practitioners grabbing the spine of entity... on this plane, anyway. Fish tales, perhaps?
On the Astral plane, it could happen.

OWL - no kidding... me, too... swooped right down and carried a little yippy dog away !!! ( just kidding about the dog, but Owl thing pinged here, too)

Edited by Nikki, 13 January 2016 - 04:18 AM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#162 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

~ Reading through this again, I have some further thoughts...

I wasnt actually sleeping in my bedroom that night actually. I had fallen asleep on the couch...right by my altar...
~ right by your alter should be one of the safest places in your home. Have you made it a sacred space? The energies can reach beyond the physical limits of the table and fill the entire room.

The one really nice thing about having my alter in the foyer is that it really does set the tone for the rest of the house. Especially, when people walk in for the first time. One of the reasons it looks more decorative than Working - it's that hiding in plain sight thing. Unless someone knows what they're looking at. LOL

One of my witchlet's friends that came to the baby shower (an older woman) took one look at it, looked at me, raised her eyebrows and says 'Hekate, huh? Nice.' And we just smiled.

I've got some hematite and I will wear it for a while. I smudged throughly last night and took a rosemary and lavender bath & followed by a cold shower tonight that got rid of my headache and certainly made me feel better.
~ Can you wear hematite full time or does it let you know when it's time to remove it?

Welp, that doors open, I suppose I have to deal with it and set my boundaries clearly.
~ Don't forget that doorways are liminal places. You have porches and foyers and entryways. Just because a door is open doesn't mean that whoever happens to be standing at it is welcome inside. Think of it literally - how do you either invite people in or let them know that they can speak to you while standing on the front porch? Translate that metaphysically and you've got it.

Don't ever forget that these are the boundaries to your SELF and HOME. You have just as much right under the Laws of Threshold astrally/etherically as you do physically.

I was even a bit angry at my ancestral spirits because I had specifically asked them for two things: 1) to teach me the ways of spiritwork and 2) to protect me in the process. In my eyes, they had failed me and I was vulnerable.

~ Now that it's been a little while and the terror has receded - look at it from a different perspective. You already learned one of the ways of spirit work and you weren't harmed - just frightened enough to learn how to do something about it.

Spirits rarely work the way we hope they will. They have a very different perspective than those of us still tied to the physical.

Reading further, I see that you went into this. But, I strongly suggest re-visiting it now that more time has gone by. It's amazing how much more we can understand things as the immediate emotions wear off.

Is it just me or does the word 'negs' grate on anyone elses nerves?

and still mostly surrounded by Christian friends and family

~ don't let that sway your opinion on people. Some of the most magical people I've come across were quite devout. They just use different vocabulary words to rationalize it and make it ok. Then you've got Natural Talents. Several of the most incredible witches I've ever know are Catholic. Go figure.

NIKKI - Yes, knowledge is power. But book knowledge isn't the only power a witch has access to.

~ But it can help the witch put things in perspective, understand what's happening around her and further accessing the other powers a witch does have access to.

But, books are rather useless as they generally do go right through incorporeal entities - if the person has the ability to move and throw it at all.

@RR... Never heard of new practitioners grabbing the spine of entity... on this plane, anyway. Fish tales, perhaps?
On the Astral plane, it could happen.

~ Fish tales - no.

Obviously, even a slightly altered state of mind is required to see, sense, feel, etc. the presence of a spirit or entity. I think the 'gold standard' (kinda like flour lol) is to be able to walk with a foot in each world - whether astral or ethereal and the physical.

Sure, I can go through waking life completely grounded in the mundane. Almost. It's more like turning the volume all the way down on the stereo instead of off. Some people can turn it all the way off. That usually causes more problems than solves them. I can also go full on trance mode and not be aware of my immediate mundane surroundings. (Having a babysitter/bodysitter is especially helpful for that in the beginning).

The thing is - one either has the inherent ability to do so or they don't. Sure, it's most likely way more possible and believable for an experienced witch to do so but, if one has that ability - they have it. All it takes is a defining moment. A pissed off moment of supernatural strength (the metaphysical version of adrenaline - we've all heard stories of the 90 pound soaking wet Mom who's lifted a car off of a toddler) to reach out and choke the shit out of something intent on harming you or your loved ones.

It's really not that different than a witch who swings out her arm and shoves the spirit/entity/hag right off of the top of her (and you hear about this way more often). The meta/physical contact is there. Whether shoving or grabbing - they both require contact with an incorporeal.

What I'm talking about here is a witch with the ability to make that contact and to think about it further and deeper. Sure, pushing something aside and away is a natural reaction that most people don't think about. And that is usually the way the ability to grab something is realized. It's a natural reaction. It's not a thought out defense. It's not 'hmmmm, what happens if I do this or that?'. It's 'holy fuck - my life (or a loved ones) is in danger.'

The biggest limitation any witch has is what they believe they are capable of. And that goes both ways. Some believe that can't do it - and they can't. Some believe they can do something but haven't yet learned how. And that belief becomes realized. If you believe you can but don't know how and cannot in one specific moment - that does not mean forever. It can simply mean it's time to increase your skill sets and add some more tools to that toolbox.

Yes, I've heard of newbies/neophytes being able to grab and hold onto the incorporeal. They just had no idea what the fuck they were doing at the time.

And it can be a very dangerous thing to play with. Especially, if the witch has no idea what to do after.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#163 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:09 AM

Suspension of disbelief, perhaps? Theoretically, anything that can touch you, and some things can, you should be able to touch back.

I would want to be VERY prepared. I only know one person who speaks of this sort of thing publically. Very interesting.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#164 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, yeah, even amongst ourselves, we're a secretive lot. :cool_witch:

#165 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:45 AM

Have I made my altar a sacred space?
-I thought that I had, but I'm now realizing that what I was doing just wasn't potent enough. (Maybe Pinterest isn't the best place to learn protection witchcraft...whodathunk?). But really, I can't blame it all on fluffy resources because the real reason I didn't have my space properly prepared was a lack of intent behind it...and that lack of intent was from a lack of realizing what the cost was. In THEORY, I knew there was bad stuff out there that could get through, but for some reason (either skepticism or lack of understanding or underestimating) I subconsciously felt like I was invincible or not at risk. At least I didn't think I was at risk enough to really do what it takes to make it a sacred space.

I liken it to the way my dad never wears a seatbelt even though he certainly knows the dangers of it, being a former highway patrol officer. But having something rooting around in my brain like that really made me aware of why it's so important. Being a newbie, it was so attractive to me to do witchcraft that showed immediate results, maybe to justify that it was working and that I'm not crazy for pouring so much time and energy into it. Heal a plant? I'm all over that! Use a communication spell and get the phone call that evening? Yippee! Find my friend a job? Wham bam, you're welcome man. Take a few minutes a day to work on consecrating and protecting a sacred space? Ya...sure...Ill get to that... And so, the unglamorous, delayed-gratification work got ignored, and now I see what a grievous error that was.

Just cuz something doesn't give me goosebumps everytime or wouldn't make it on 'Ripley's Beleive it or Not' doesn't mean it's not extremely important witchcraft. So I'm taking more time to invest in the inner work and protections and boundaries and purifications that I may have been ignoring. But not in a reactive emergency-mode way like I was at first, just a general maintenance and foundational work sort of way. I'm glad it's a lesson I'm learning now and not after I've really screwed things up somehow.

----
Can I wear Hematite full-time?
-I'm not really sure what to look for. I've had two hematite rings spontaneous break while I was wearing them. The lady that sold them to me said that is their way of saying "I'm full." Last year, I had a bracelet of hematite break and figured it was the same thing. So I got another hematite bracelet recently and now I'm wondering if it's not partially to blame for why I am feeling physically drained more than usual lately. I never knew to look for that correlation to the hematite before, so I'm wondering if it's not a possibility. Of course, other possible causes could be the usual winter lack-of-sunshine, or the stress of stuff in my life right now, or the increase of witchy activity lately. I have not noticed the hematite having any effect on the amount of energy I can raise while working or meditating.

---
So far, no further old hag attacks or nightmares, thankfully. I did audibly hear someone/something say "hello" to me in a clear voice that was definitely not human, just as I was about to fall asleep last night. I said "hello?" back and asked who was there, and got no response. I waited a while and went back to sleep. I didn't feel any malice in the voice or in the room, and I wasn't afraid. No dreams that night either, unfortunately. Just something wanting to make itself known, I guess?

I've heard voices before but it's always been from a human. For example, I once clearly heard my mother say "Save money for lunch" as I was paying for something with the last cash in my wallet and I turned to her and said "I know, I've got twenty more bucks in my pocket" and she looked at me very strangely. Turns out, she had been thinking it, but had never said anything to me. Similar things have happened between me and other family members before and with my best friend too. But I'd never heard anything from a spirit (other than the frequent knocking on walls that happens when I do certain spells) and the old hag was the first time I've ever SEEN anything, besides auras and energy which are becoming easier for me to see with each passing day.

Anyways, I'm probably rambling off topic now, because I don't think the "hello" and the old hag were related. Except that maybe both are indicative of me getting some attention in the otherworld.

Edited by RapunzelGnome, 15 January 2016 - 06:53 AM.

#166 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

Yeah, jewelry breaks. Sometimes, they explode and go flying, other times the stones stay with you. I'll cleanse them and then Craft them into new jewelry (depending on what they were used for the first time.)

Rings and bracelets are rather small amounts of hematite. I've found it works better in larger pieces. A lot of people experience the getting tired or fidgety/shaky and it's definitely time to take it off then.

#167 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

Is it just me or does the word 'negs' grate on anyone elses nerves?

( I also really don't like this made up term 'neg' it just throws me off.)

Nope, not just you. But as I have already stated, a lot, well like most, of what that guy has said gets on my nerves.

Edited by Solanaceae, 15 January 2016 - 01:48 PM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#168 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

holy crap... that took a turn.

I accidentaily voted up your post when I meant to Quote it instead.

Yes, knowledge is power. But book knowledge isn't the only power a witch has access to.

It's clear you were helping by offering information you found useful. My comment was not to undermine your suggestion or the information presented in the book, however, if someone is under attack there isn't time enough to find a book, purchase it, read, it and put whatever practice is advises into action. That's all.

On a personal note: Most of what I've read in books about protection (not the one suggested) are light and little remedies that won't stop a higher level entity or an advanced practitioner from attacking. So, YMWV.
Hats off to my peers who have wisely pointed this out.

I can only agree with everything you have said here. Thanks for the clarification.

#169 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:21 PM

My pleasure, Solanaceae. I'd like to read that book someday. :cheers:

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#170 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:13 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Besides you LOLOL

I hear ya.

#171 WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:45 AM

Coyote medicine is not only about tricks it can be very nasty. I've known some that use coyote medicine for retribution as a "lesson". Coyote has an askew moral compass. That's why he avoids people out of fear and always looks over his shoulder. He's guilty of a lot!

An added note. Shadow figures are usually spirits of the dead. It sounds to me that you opened a door and something snuck in. It can happen to anyone. You definitely want to take Rose Red's advice.

#172 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:16 PM

I knew someone who did something similar with halluciogenics - large quantities of nutmeg I believe - to bring about a bad "trip" to test his ability to stand up to whatever his mind could throw at him. Not so much pitting himself against an entity but confronting the recesses of his own mind. He speaks of it not being a particularly pleasant experience but he did say that the knowledge of his own fears contributed to a greater understanding of himself and his practises changed as a result.

You can do that with nutmeg? Wow. I have so much to learn.

#173 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:19 AM

Ugh.  Yes, you can hallucinate from taking enough nutmeg, but, please don't.  Taking enough to hallucinate can damage your liver and kidneys severely.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  I know idiot witches who thought it would be great to take a nice dose of datura, for example, and now have extremely damaged vision.  There are reasons I throw huge fits when people suggest ingesting certain things.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#174 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

I like nutmeg in pies, custards and eggnog, but I think if I tried to take enough nutmeg to make me hallucinate, it would put me off nutmeg forever. Don't worry, I was never planning to do that, haha. I just didn't know that you could! The things you learn on the internet. :)

#175 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

I just had this happen. It was freaky. Aaah. So--I am visiting my family in New England. Parents own a big Victorian (haunted, natch). I lay down to take a nap because I have jet lag & didn't sleep much on the plane. I woke up from a lovely dream to hear a woman talking, singing a song that sounded like a pop song. I said "shut up", then tried to go back to sleep in the usual, stupid stupid manner. Stupid = at home, living in a brand new house, I meditate with no shields up until I fall asleep. This time I heard a man's voice, saying nasty things, and I couldn't move at all, instead I was pinned down and completely immobile. I visualized a blue/white light all around me and drew a huge-ass pentacle in my head. I started wiggling my toes and managed to flip my blanket over my head. Then it stopped and gradually I could move. The room does not feel good. The upstairs feels unsettled and has a nasty vibe.

When I got here yesterday, I told the resident spirits that I was cool with them as long as they didn't fuck with me. We could live and let live. Now I'm pissed! I will have to grab some salt & sage the hell out of the bedrooms. Ugh.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#176 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

You know it was the part where you pulled the blanket over your head that saved you right?  :):):)

Just curious, if you want to share this, do these family members also practice?  I'm wondering if they know "who" decided to screw with you?  OR if they are unaware of their disembodied house guests?

How was last night? Good luck, hope your sleep becomes less eventful there.

....and Always remember, there is nothing more dangerous than offending a wannabe pop Diva. 

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#177 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

Oroboros, no one practices or has had spirit "incidents" here except for me. My folks are pretty religious & I know for a fact that neither they nor my visiting siblings practice. I've been sleeping with the lamp on, haha. Two of my oldest friends down here practice, but they are pretty fluffy. I haven't been bothered again but the one down the street offered me sea salt (she used to sleep over in that room and ask to go home halfway through the night when we were kids, because "your house is haunted eee").

You know it was the part where you pulled the blanket over your head that saved you right?  :):):)

===
Yes, lol. I remember thinking to myself "a pentagram isn't going to do much good here.", but in a panic you try them all.

Edited by westofthemoon, 16 October 2016 - 11:06 AM.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#178 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:19 PM

What an interesting thread. I had terrible sleep paralysis years ago. It was nightly and continued for months. It was actually around that time that I experienced the witch/shamanic calling. It ended when I realized  a spirit was harassing me. When I began standing up to it, whatever it was, the sleep paralysis went away. Typical bully.  A few years ago, I closed my eyes and saw a hag floating above me but no sleep paralysis. I don't seem to have much trouble anymore. Maybe I'm stronger now.

Someone close to me has been having sleep paralysis for around a year. It torments her. But she is an atheist and not open to my suggestions, sadly.

#179 Guest_SorcererSupreme_*

Guest_SorcererSupreme_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:03 AM

So I drink a lot of caffeinated bevarages and that causes some problems for me, such as cramping, constipation, and an occasional hemorrhoid. Now these can sometimes be a little painful.

Well, one night after a mean shit, I had a little pain but went to sleep anyways. Soon afterwards I achieved the sleep paralysis and felt this presence that something was in the room with me. Then when the vibrations kicked in, I could feel the vibrations mostly concentrated around my butthole, and it felt as if that presence was trying to enter me thru my asshole.

I said cool, maybe I'll get possessed and relaxed and let the shit happen. After I had relaxed, the presence almost instantly vanished and the vibrations spread back over where they were supposed to be, I waited for them to die down, then I did the rocking technique and came out of body. I looked everywhere for this presence, my first impression was that it was a malefic witch, but I couldn't find the bitch, so I went exploring like I would normally do.

My interpretation of this hag is that it's nothing more than fear, and if you can just stop fearing it it'll go away.

And that the reason the entity was trying to enter me thru my asshole was because it was an interpreted fear and the vibrations we're actually centered there to help heal that area. By resisting the vibrations, it got more violent. The Hag is there to benefit, let her do her job.

I also feel that when you show fear, the entity feeds off of it and tries to scare you more.

Don't fear it, is all I can say.

I hear people say if this or that happens then you die, but if it really did happen how would anybody come back and report on it? It's just somebody's interpretation of what they think would happen.

So let it happen, ain't shit gonna happen.

Edited by SorcererSupreme, 19 September 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#180 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

So I drink a lot of caffeinated bevarages and that causes some problems for me, such as cramping, constipation, and an occasional hemorrhoid. Now these can sometimes be a little painful.

Well, one night after a mean shit, I had a little pain but went to sleep anyways. Soon afterwards I achieved the sleep paralysis and felt this presence that something was in the room with me. Then when the vibrations kicked in, I could feel the vibrations mostly concentrated around my butthole, and it felt as if that presence was trying to enter me thru my asshole.

I said cool, maybe I'll get possessed and relaxed and let the shit happen. After I had relaxed, the presence almost instantly vanished and the vibrations spread back over where they were supposed to be, I waited for them to die down, then I did the rocking technique and came out of body. I looked everywhere for this presence, my first impression was that it was a malefic witch, but I couldn't find the bitch, so I went exploring like I would normally do.

My interpretation of this hag is that it's nothing more than fear, and if you can just stop fearing it it'll go away.

I also feel that when you show fear, the entity feeds off of it and tries to scare you more.

Don't fear it, is all I can say.

I hear people say if this or that happens then you die, but if it really did happen how would anybody come back and report on it? It's just somebody's interpretation of what they think would happen.

So let it happen, ain't shit gonna happen.

All I can say is, there is such thing as oversharing.

Perhaps the information about anal invading entity has merit in this thread, but could you at least spare us the details of your bowl activity?

The 'shit' all kind of blends together in that post, and one can't be when you are referring to about evacuating your bowls or other 'stuff'.

Edited by Solanaceae, 19 September 2017 - 02:55 PM.