Signs Of Old Hag Attacks During The Night

AnjelWolf

I think a fairly convincing case can be made that the Old Hag is different from an Incubus or Succubus. While the Old Hag seems to be thoroughly unpleasant, some accounts of Incubi and Succubi seem to convey pleasure (though quite often they are unpleasant).

The thought of an Incubus visit sends me fantasizing. :D Seriously though, I'm not well read on the subject of Incubi and Succubi experiences, so I really can't offer an intelligent comment.

I've done a lot of reflection on this experience since I first posted in this thread, and have been given new avenues of thought from some lovely people here, and have come to view this experience differently than I initially did. I was not in a good place to accept spirit contact at the time when it happened, as I was attempting to deny what I am.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I am SO glad that I came across it that I have to reply! I've had these same experiences, scared the crap out of me. There are a couple of times where I think it was just sleep paralysis, waking up before exiting REM and unable to move, BUT, these experiences came after one that was different and pretty freaky.

I was sleeping by myself and woke up and something was sitting on my chest/stomach area and I was totally paralyzed. I could see the thing, but it was a dark thing and I couldn't make out a distinct shape or features. Once I was able to calm the panic in my head, I started ordering it to leave (in my mind, since I couldn't speak). When I started doing that, it's shape started to change and it CHANGED ITSELF TO LOOK LIKE MY CHILD! I still knew what it was so I closed my eyes so I wouldn't be troubled by the image. When I opened my eyes again it was back to a dark thing and I continued ordering it to leave my property. Then it started to move, and it seemed like it went through my left shoulder to exit, but it did leave. I didn't have any marks, but that was 2 years ago and sometimes that point on my shoulder still hurts. :-/

I think I need to order the book that's at the beginning of this thread.

Voted this up. New experiences and all. Gave me some answers. Thanks.

I experienced this a couple of times. The most memorable time was, I was staying over in this house that was built in the 1700s and started having some weird dreams about...well...naughty spirits. I abruptly woke up from the dream to find that I was completely pinned to the bed, and like there was something pushing on my chest making it hard for me to breath. I could see a black mass above me and just felt this very ominous presence around me in the room. It was a yucky feeling at the time. I was glad after researching, to find that there was a very logical and scientific explanation for it.

I experienced this a couple of times. The most memorable time was, I was staying over in this house that was built in the 1700s and started having some weird dreams about...well...naughty spirits. I abruptly woke up from the dream to find that I was completely pinned to the bed, and like there was something pushing on my chest making it hard for me to breath. I could see a black mass above me and just felt this very ominous presence around me in the room. It was a yucky feeling at the time. I was glad after researching, to find that there was a very logical and scientific explanation for it.

Not all attacks have "scientific" explanations. Mine happened in my dream and I saw the spirit in my face. I willed myself awake when I felt the presure and I was not paralyzed when I woke up, just badly shaken up. I recognized the spirit. What I experienced was no "sleep paralysis".

• Upvote 2

Not all attacks have "scientific" explanations. Mine happened in my dream and I saw the spirit in my face. I willed myself awake when I felt the presure and I was not paralyzed when I woke up, just badly shaken up. I recognized the spirit. What I experienced was no "sleep paralysis".

I know what you mean, neither was mine. Sometimes it just is what it is, and its up to the person experiencing it to know the difference.

• Upvote 2

That's creepy that feeling. I wasn't referring to yours or anyone else's experience here, mine only. You're wasn't sleep paralysis, and apparently not something that has a scientific explanation. However, my experience may be explained by sleep paralysis even though I saw the black naughty spirit in my dreams as well, so I can't at this point claim that mine was truly a spirit attack or the scientific explanation of sleep paralysis. My experience happened to have been consistent enough with what science says happens that I lean more towards feeling that this was what took place with me. I don't think it is always easily cut and dry and simple enough to know the difference, since it is possible that even the ones consistent with scientific explanation may very well not be such and be, in fact, paranormal. Just that if it can be explained scientifically (referring to MY experience only) I don't want to be irresponsible enough to claim that my experience was paranormal.:) Edited by Wytchywoman

That's creepy that feeling. I wasn't referring to yours or anyone else's experience here, mine only. You're wasn't sleep paralysis, and apparently not something that has a scientific explanation. However, my experience may be explained by sleep paralysis even though I saw the black naughty spirit in my dreams as well, so I can't at this point claim that mine was truly a spirit attack or the scientific explanation of sleep paralysis. My experience happened to have been consistent enough with what science says happens that I lean more towards feeling that this was what took place with me. I don't think it is always easily cut and dry and simple enough to know the difference, since it is possible that even the ones consistent with scientific explanation may very well not be such and be, in fact, paranormal. Just that if it can be explained scientifically (referring to MY experience only) I don't want to be irresponsible enough to claim that my experience was paranormal.:)

It is perfectly fine to try to find a scientific explaination. Like Aloe said, it is up to the person to determine what they think was the cause of their experience. Though, I don't think it is "irresponsible" to claim a paranormal experience, when paranomal means unexplained, and we are on a witchcraft forum. Glad you found out what yours was though. :)

• Upvote 1

Though, I don't think it is "irresponsible" to claim a paranormal experience, when paranomal means unexplained, and we are on a witchcraft forum. Glad you found out what yours was though. :)

I guess I never looked at it this way. I mean technically even what I experienced, just because there is a scientific explanation does not mean that this is absolutely thee explanation for it. So I suppose you are right, it would not have been irresponsible of me to state that it at least could have been paranormal.

This happened to me, just once, oh maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It was the middle of the night, we had a new dog and she had to go out. So, it must have been somewhere between 2-4am and I let her out. While she was out, I had "felt" something outside passing by. I thought maybe it was my imagination, but then as I brought her back inside, I thought I still "felt" it there. Since the dog was not acting strange, not barking, nothing-I thought nothing more of it and let it go and went back to bed. After falling back asleep, I had one of those attacks and it was incredibly scary at the time.

My husband, who had a few doctor friends at the time, had mixed thoughts-one of the more religious ones thought that perhaps it could have been an "attack", while one explained that I must have been half-asleep while taking the dog out and then suffered an effect of sleep paralysis. Today, I'm not confident enough about the matter to say which was true in my case-I'm just glad it hasn't happened again.

But, I will say that thinking about those of you who have suffered from this, makes me wonder what you can do to help prevent further attacks, for those that feel the attacks are paranormal in nature, rather than sleep paralysis.

This is only speculation, but having writing on yourself or your bed cover when you sleep at night, in some way, sounds like it might be worth exploring maybe, or wearing something appropriate, or hanging something above your bed..protective things that would disallow someone or something from attacking you while you sleep.

Admittedly, when this happened to me-it didn't concern me so much as to which was true-I felt that doing something to protect myself while I slept wouldn't hurt either way-and, might help prevent it, regardless of it's origins.

just my thoughts

Regards,

~Anara

It also serves as an important reminder to always protect yourself and keep your shields up, especially when you're at your most defenceless. It's made me stop and think about grounding and replenishing one's energy to ensure you're always capable of helping yourself.

I agree with this.

As to attacks, while awake . . . I have spirit contact all the time. I have been touched, pinched, slapped, etc. Contrary to popular belief, I do not interpret these actions as attacks, because I know that spirits are not always able to communicate in conventional ways. Being choked? Well, I might have a problem with that. Might need to remove that particular entity.

Jevne

Now, this resonates with me too, Jevne- thank you for sharing that. I have been touched & slapped as well and have always used the word "attack" in my line of thinking as to these experiences. It makes sense that, as you say, "spirits are not always able to communicate in conventional ways"..that's pretty thought provoking actually.

Regards,

Anara

This happened to me, just once, oh maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It was the middle of the night, we had a new dog and she had to go out. So, it must have been somewhere between 2-4am and I let her out. While she was out, I had "felt" something outside passing by. I thought maybe it was my imagination, but then as I brought her back inside, I thought I still "felt" it there. Since the dog was not acting strange, not barking, nothing-I thought nothing more of it and let it go and went back to bed. After falling back asleep, I had one of those attacks and it was incredibly scary at the time.

My husband, who had a few doctor friends at the time, had mixed thoughts-one of the more religious ones thought that perhaps it could have been an "attack", while one explained that I must have been half-asleep while taking the dog out and then suffered an effect of sleep paralysis. Today, I'm not confident enough about the matter to say which was true in my case-I'm just glad it hasn't happened again.

But, I will say that thinking about those of you who have suffered from this, makes me wonder what you can do to help prevent further attacks, for those that feel the attacks are paranormal in nature, rather than sleep paralysis.

This is only speculation, but having writing on yourself or your bed cover when you sleep at night, in some way, sounds like it might be worth exploring maybe, or wearing something appropriate, or hanging something above your bed..protective things that would disallow someone or something from attacking you while you sleep.

Admittedly, when this happened to me-it didn't concern me so much as to which was true-I felt that doing something to protect myself while I slept wouldn't hurt either way-and, might help prevent it, regardless of it's origins.

just my thoughts

Regards,

~Anara

and now that I am thinking about this topic more...I wonder if rosemary or the use of a protective herb might be useful, stuffed in a pillow-on windowsills- or something like that

I'd share what I used at the time, but I don't feel comfortable giving the info here on the board -of course, I believe, what I used that may have worked for me at the time, was given to me by a religious man...and if you're interested, I'd be more than happy to share the info with anyone through a PM. I'm not sure if it was his belief in the item, mere coincidence, or what, that prevented further incidences...so, again, I can only go off of speculation here-but I hate to see people suffering in their sleep, so I hope my posts here were helpful in some way..

if I can think of anything else,. I'll surely post...or, I'm sure others might have some suggestions too that differ from mine..

~Anara

and now that I am thinking about this topic more...I wonder if rosemary or the use of a protective herb might be useful, stuffed in a pillow-on windowsills- or something like that

I'd share what I used at the time, but I don't feel comfortable giving the info here on the board -of course, I believe, what I used that may have worked for me at the time, was given to me by a religious man...and if you're interested, I'd be more than happy to share the info with anyone through a PM. I'm not sure if it was his belief in the item, mere coincidence, or what, that prevented further incidences...so, again, I can only go off of speculation here-but I hate to see people suffering in their sleep, so I hope my posts here were helpful in some way..

if I can think of anything else,. I'll surely post...or, I'm sure others might have some suggestions too that differ from mine..

~Anara

Protective herbs, amulets, charmed objects, wards around your property, personal shields, etc. All of these can guard against contact from unwanted spirits. However like J said, its important to keep in mind that sometimes 'wanted' spirits simply communicate differently than we expect. Just my take on it. :)

Protective herbs, amulets, charmed objects, wards around your property, personal shields, etc. All of these can guard against contact from unwanted spirits. However like J said, its important to keep in mind that sometimes 'wanted' spirits simply communicate differently than we expect. Just my take on it. :)

I think I understand where you're coming from here. The thought that spirits express themselves this way <through an "alleged" hag like "attack"> of sort without malicious intent, <because I tend to see an alleged attack like this, as more of a malignant way to contact a human-when compared to just a touch or a light slap>, takes my mind in another direction. That is very thought provoking for sure, Aloe.

On one hand, these experiences can be very scary-on the other hand, the possibility exists that it could have been a misunderstanding of sorts <if I'm understanding your post here, correctly> and possibly only a means of communication?

At any rate, that's pretty interesting, Aloe. :)

~Anara

• 1 year later...

Not had this happen in quite some time, but thought my "buddy" might like to read it again. My "spaces" are pretty well protected with all kinds of "keep out the meanies" wards. If one has a problem with being "hag-ridden" might want to consider beefing up the security.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds a bit like something called sleep paralysis. I've experienced it a number of times... definitely a little unsettling.

This warrants a question:

How does one differentiate between sleep paralysis and some type of psychic or spiritual attack? Both exist and have similar features, so it might be helpful to discuss the differences, based on the experiences of those who have and those who have yet to respond.

And why couldn't they not be the same thing, lol? A physical manifestation of an other-worldly experience... :-)

M

You make a good point. I don't see why it couldn't be true. My ex-wife would commonly see a tall man with a large, top hat standing in the room... my own experiences include feeling two cold hands pressing down on my back, and being unable to move or cry out. It's also possible that it could be two completely different phenomena which have very similar manifestations.

• 6 months later...

This happened to my daughter not too long ago.  (I don't remember if I've mentioned it elsewhere here).  She kept getting a whiff of a very sweet vanilla and asking me if I smelled it.  I did once or twice - faintly - but enough to know it was there.

She was sleeping and felt this pressure on her chest.  When she woke up she felt like this thing was suffocating her.  She couldn't move, couldn't scream and had a nose full of sweet vanilla scent.  At first it scared the crap out of her.  Then she got mad.  She couldn't speak but she did with her mind.  Once she overcame her fear she was able to get this thing off of her.  We did some cleansing and security stuff the next morning and it hasn't been back since.

I have a couple vague memories of this from when I was younger but nothing that really stands out.  What I do remember is being really pissed off at being bothered during the night and started setting protections before I really even knew what they were.