188 replies to this topic

#21 Jaime

Jaime

the cat's staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

I have Hufford's book. It was a textbook for a folklore and the supernatural course I did for my minor. The prof said that every year someone had "the hag" upon reading his book before bed. It happened in my class too. Not me though, that freaked me out too much to read it before bed. I read it at high noon!! LOL
:howl-moon:

Respect the Elders. Teach the Young. Cooperate with the Pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your Mark.

:Witch-1:

#22 Jaime

Jaime

the cat's staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

I've had this happen to me on several occassions as well...normally Ray is the one who is there...now he isn't and it is even more terrorfying when you are alone.

I find that moderating my breqthing and trying to move even a finger can make an imporovment.

Yeah..a few of the traditional ways of breaking an old hag attack are:

If someone is with you, and they know what's happening, they are to say your name backwards.

Throw a glass bottle at the entity attacking you (don't know why this works or how you're supposed to do it but there you go)

Relax and concentrate on wiggling your finger, if you can wiggle your finger, move your hand, your arm and so on until you break the attack. (this is the one I see as most credible)

J

Respect the Elders. Teach the Young. Cooperate with the Pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your Mark.

#23 Jaime

Jaime

the cat's staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:21 PM

***It is important to note here that several Newfoundlands blamed the above on indigestion and/or poor circulation

For the record (and for Newfoundlanders everywhere) in our defense...Most of the old timers (and alot of the rural folk) were raised on salted meat/fish and root vegetables. Sodium content is through the roof on traditional foods from here, and circulatory problems are common...so it's no wonder that our food was to blame! LOL

Talk sushi to a Newfie and he'd laugh at you! Raw!?! Nah, b'y. We dry and salt our fish, then soak it, then eat it!!:nana:

#24 Thistle

Thistle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

I have read about something similar in a novel, but I think it was about a succubus that came at night. I have had truble sleeping for a while, I just can't fall asleep and when my boyfriend is allready asleep it's even worse. I have done protection spells for the apartement and cleansed it beacause it has always been filled with negative energy but I have truble feeling safe at night. For a period now I have woken up just as I was falling asleep, from someone screaming and also coughing in my ear, I'm pretty sure it was a woman.
When I was younger I had one experience that was pretty frightening but it was weird beacause it felt nice in the beginning and then it turned bad. It felt like my room was filled with wings or down and the presence felt nice until I felt like I was suffocating. It never came back though.
The worst thing with these sleeping problems is that I feel som powerless and scared. Do you have any ideas on how to get rid of ones fears?
I realise there is a lot of work to actually getting through fear but if you have any ideas I would appreciate it!

Thistle

#25 Kern

Kern

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

Very interesting topic and replies...Ive never experienced this before. I have had dreams about 2 yrs ago where I saw my mother walking from the Dinning room to the bathroom or kitchen. In this dream I knew I was in bed and asleep, but could not get up or move to go to her. I finally woke myself and then went right back to sleep and the dream occured again, but this time I managed to get up and move to the bedroom wall but it was like I was being held back and really had to struggle. I never made it to the doorway though and woke up again. Havent had this type dream again. Never figured it out or what it meant.

Sorry for posting this here, but didnt know what to calle it and didnt want to take up space lol.

#26 Anthony

Anthony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

Concerning the issue of paralisis, I have experienced this personally. Through my studies and experience with astral work I find that many times coming back to to my body I am unable to move, weither I am conscious of being out of my body or not. I also find that during these moments it is easier to move back and forth from my body during these moments.

As a child, I experienced the paralisis much more frequently, and many times would open my eyes to see, hear, or feel the presence of another entity in my room, even though I was the only one there. As a younger child I was terrified to see these shadows or demons, as I thought they were at the time, hovering over me. I remember once awaking to see a werewolf type creature standing above me wrapping me up in my blankets and just a few moments later he dissappeared and I sunk down into my bed. As I grew though, and began to study Witchcraft and spirits I became much more open to these experiences. In these instances now I will actually speak with and communicate to these entities, as many of them are friendly. The ones who are not know they are not welcome and I usually don't have much trouble driving them out.

I recall two instances, one several years ago and one just last year, where I awoke to spirits next to me. The first of the two I was sleeping in my old room in the attic, and was bothered many times that night by spirit activity due to the astral work I'd been doing for several days. When I opened my eyes two young girls no more than 5 years of age were sitting next to me on my bed. They were having a tea party and discussing who they were going to invite. I was unable to move, but slightly annoyed to see the uninvited guests in my room, and yelled (with mind and not voice)at them to leave. I feel bad about being so unfriendly now, but at the time I was young and a bit of an asshole. The two girls went off and got a much bigger spirit to come and teach me a lesson, but he was unable to get in as I had just performed a blessing on my house several nights before. The wind blew hard and the tree branches beat against the windows for several minutes until I calmly said you cannot get in and are not welcome. Then the winds died down as suddenly as they came and all was normal again.

The latter of the two stories is considerably shorter and occured just a little over a year ago while I was staying the night at a friends house. In the middle of the night two women about the same age as me walked into the room where I was sleeping on the couch. I had never seen them before and knew that nobody could have let them in, as everybody else was asleep. The girls walked by and one leaned over and kissed me on the forehead. It was as simple as that and then done. I had a very lucid dream later that night that I actually talked to them in, but don't really know what to make of it.

I have many more stories that I could go on for days about concerning this topic but not to keep you all too long I'll close with this: Througout the years I have come to make several friends who are spirits through these occurances. So I'm nolonger afraid when things like this happen.

If we cannot take a new lesson from each and every day, we are not truly alive.

#27 Guest_panther_*

Guest_panther_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:53 PM

I have experienced this several times, the first time scaring the bejesus out of me but in fairness there could be other explainations... http://www.webmd.com...sleep-paralysis

My opinion is always discount the physical before thinking of the psychic.

#28 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:55 AM

I've had the sleep paralysis quite a bit, my dad gets it too. I've been told about the above and that it's your body's way of not letting you hurt yourself before you fully wake up.

My mother thinks that it's your astral body still off travelling and you won't regain control until its back in your body.

I'm not sure what to believe now that i've read about Hag attacks, eep :D

I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

#29 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

For the record (and for Newfoundlanders everywhere) in our defense...Most of the old timers (and alot of the rural folk) were raised on salted meat/fish and root vegetables. Sodium content is through the roof on traditional foods from here, and circulatory problems are common...so it's no wonder that our food was to blame! LOL

Talk sushi to a Newfie and he'd laugh at you! Raw!?! Nah, b'y. We dry and salt our fish, then soak it, then eat it!!:nana:

LOL! thank you for clearing that up hun! LOL!

#30 Singing Bird

Singing Bird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:45 PM

I used to get a lot of this type of thing from my early teens right through until my early thirties. It was always a feeling of being pinned down and suffocated. It actually felt as if it was a physical being holding me down and trying to suck the air out of my lungs. Terrifying.

I endured it for many years until one night when I was sleeping alone (my then other half was on night shift) and it was a particularly nasty experience. I started to struggle for breath and suddenly thought "I've had enough of this!". Using all the will I could muster, I sat bolt upright and yelled "F*** off!". I swear to this day I heard something hit the ground and run away.

I've never been troubled since.

SB

#31 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:04 AM

lol! I can imagine that shouting that at any entity would be enough to frighten them, it's not every day your prey gets up and gives you s*** back!! :D

actually it reminds me of a saying i got emailed the other day, it's kinda aimed at women but i'm sure it could be changed -"Live every day of your life well so that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan says 's*** she's awake!" i thought it was hilarious!!

Edited by Nyxiah, 10 October 2008 - 02:07 AM.
remembered something else

#32 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:33 AM

LOL! Yeah that is pretty funny

#33 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

lol! I can imagine that shouting that at any entity would be enough to frighten them, it's not every day your prey gets up and gives you s*** back!! :D

actually it reminds me of a saying i got emailed the other day, it's kinda aimed at women but i'm sure it could be changed -"Live every day of your life well so that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan says 's*** she's awake!" i thought it was hilarious!!

I like that.
Rebie

#34 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:37 PM

I've had experiences like this.. hell, sometimes I go into trance so fast I wind up loosing sense of my physical body. Sometimes it's like I'm watching from a place deep inside me as my head moves in weird patterns. (weird, I know.)

I've had an experience much like this 'Old Hag Attack'.. I was trying to sleep and felt wind hit my face. At first I thought it was my cats, but then I heard what sounded like a gong almost.. it was a very horrible sound, and one I hope I never hear again. It froze me solid, I tell you that!.. couldn't move, and then I saw it reach up (it was in the doorway and all I could see was a shadow darker than the room) and stretch out toward me, then I felt like it was trying to overtake me so I pushed back. Heard the gong sound again but pushed my hand out at it and it dissapeared.

I've always regarded this being as just a shadow spirit. But just in case, I'll keep a box of Fig-Newtons by the bed. LOL I could use a spirit like that on my side! :wickedwitch::nana:

#35 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:42 PM

HAH! Or better yet, start sleeping on my stomach with a pillow on my back. I could use a good sitting on. Back's been aching. .. do you think she'd walk on it? :D

#36 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:52 PM

You know.. I keep thinking into it, and there's got to be some motive for sitting on people when they're trying to sleep.. sounds more like some old lady killed over before getting her kicks.

Great! We've got some crazy old bitty nympho sneaking into people's rooms at night.

*sighs* Maybe I'll just keep a grey dildo sitting on my bedside table with a sign saying '-> Sit on this! I've got a headache!'

#37 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:54 AM

*sighs* Maybe I'll just keep a grey dildo sitting on my bedside table with a sign saying '-> Sit on this! I've got a headache!'

Ohhhhhhh - can I come visit?????????? Although personally, I like to pack in pink ;-)

#38 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:17 AM

:roflhard: ROFLMMFAO! :roflhard: Omg I can't breathe right now from laughing so hard dude! :roflhard: Shit! :roflhard: Ok...(deep breath!)...now here is something to think about as well...does anyone out there reading this thread think that MAYBE there MIGHT BE a connection between this and UFO abductions?

Think about it before answering with a fast "No".

In both instances...the victim(s) is left paralyised...with accounts of not being able to wake up...visions of some unknown creature doing something painful/harmful to them.

Just think about it :)

Now...what are your thoughts?

#39 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:45 AM

LMAO oh Land!! you are too funny for words somedays!!

hmm Anjel you could be onto something there, i mean if it's someone so traumatised by what they saw their mind just jumps onto the closest thing maybe they are being visited by spirits etc and they are just remembering fragments and calling them aliens?? it's an interesting thought

#40 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:46 AM

LMAO oh Land!! you are too funny for words somedays!!

hmm Anjel you could be onto something there, i mean if it's someone so traumatised by what they saw their mind just jumps onto the closest thing maybe they are being visited by spirits etc and they are just remembering fragments and calling them aliens?? it's an interesting thought

Yeah it is something to give thought to eh?