Signs Of Old Hag Attacks During The Night

AnjelWolf

During 1970, David Hufford joined the Folklore Department of the Memorial University, on the island of Newfoundland, Canada.

He began a research into the "Old Hag" legend, which took him just over 10 years to complete. In this research, he interviewed hundreds of victims and all data was later published in a book called "Terrors That Come In The Night".

The "Old Hag" is reported to be a witch, or a similar old and ugly woman. She would come into bedrooms at night. during this time, she would sit on their chest, thus suffocating them.

David Hufford complied a general list of symptoms during these attacks:

* Awakening (or an experience immediately preceding sleep)

* Hearing and/or seeing something come into the room and approach the bed.

* Being pressed on the chest and strangled.

* Experiencing the inability to move, or to cry out, until AFTER being brought out of the state of by someone else or by breaking through the feeling of being paralysis on one's own.

***It is important to note here that several Newfoundlands blamed the above on indigestion and/or poor circulation

***It is important to note here that several Newfoundlands blamed the above on indigestion and/or poor circulation

Now that would be some bad sushi...

I have a harder time believing that food is the culprit, then it being a psychic attack of some sort.

Maybe those several who believe it was food should cut back on whatever they are eating.

WOW. thats freaky...i had that EXACT experience happen to me about a year and a half ago...i woke up feeling there was someone in the room and then saw this shadow pushing down into me, i thought it was trying to enter my body, and i was paralysed...couldnt move at all or scream and i was trying bloody hard...it was only after chanting and quick thinking shielding work that i was able to feel some release enough for me to move and jump up out of bed. the whole bedroom was filled with a really nasty negative energy and u could feel a masculine prescence in the room...the bedroom had dropped 5-8 degrees compared to the other rooms in the falt i was living in and when i turned the radio on for extra noise the radio started playing weird and it would drop out or song would be playing and they would drop an octave for a spit second and jump back up again... freaked the hell out of me..got rid of whatever was ther with a friend of mine but i was scared to sleep the next night i can tell you that!!!!

WOW. thats freaky...i had that EXACT experience happen to me about a year and a half ago...i woke up feeling there was someone in the room and then saw this shadow pushing down into me, i thought it was trying to enter my body, and i was paralysed...couldnt move at all or scream and i was trying bloody hard...it was only after chanting and quick thinking shielding work that i was able to feel some release enough for me to move and jump up out of bed. the whole bedroom was filled with a really nasty negative energy and u could feel a masculine prescence in the room...the bedroom had dropped 5-8 degrees compared to the other rooms in the falt i was living in and when i turned the radio on for extra noise the radio started playing weird and it would drop out or song would be playing and they would drop an octave for a spit second and jump back up again... freaked the hell out of me..got rid of whatever was ther with a friend of mine but i was scared to sleep the next night i can tell you that!!!!

Yeah the book I posted about sexual encounters between humans and ghosts/etc is a good one you might want to get. Take a look over in the book section and read what I posted.

Okay, as one who has frequently experienced this horrible phenomenon, and that awful paralysis, let me tell you how I deal with it.

When it happens, I just totally relax and don't fight it at all. I close my eyes, put out some of my energy manifested as a white light (I picture my whole body glowing), and just breath slowly and don't even try to move (because I can't). Sometimes I actually go back to sleep! If I don't... then I concentrate on moving the pinky finger on my right hand. It sometimes takes a minute or so... but once I can get that to move then it's all done and my whole body comes awakes.

It doesn't scare me anymore because it happened to me so frequently (nightly, for a while) that I had to learn how to deal with it, and once I did, the frequency decreased dramatically.

I guess whatever it was that was bugging me decided to move on to more terrified subjects, LOL!! It still does happen on occasion though. :mad:

• Upvote 1

My mum had this as well, which I believe we discussed in another thread. She was paralysed and then taken on an astral journey to experience horrific and frightening things, she was surrounded by midgets and dwarfs who were trying to make her go through this door but she knew if she went through the door she would die. I know it sounds hilarious but those of you who lucid dream it can be really distressing to be in a situation that you cannot get out of. Anyway, I bought her the Robert Bruce book and since she understands more about negs she has never experienced an attack since.

Buy the Robert Bruce book from Amazon.co.uk

:)

See, whether I was alone or not, it was always terrifying, when it first started happening and before I could almost control it... because I couldn't move or say anything so the person next to me didn't have a clue and was usually very deeply asleep.

I actually was looking for that Robert Bruce book in Barnes and Noble a few nights ago; it was out of stock. I did find some other ones but I wasn't too impressed with what I read, so I'm ordering it on Amazon. I've been meaning to get it for forever now and just haven't gotten around to it.

It is an upsetting experience to say the least. I'll also try to get that book Sands.

I know I expereinced less severe ones once I placed several dishes of "Crystal islands" on shelves around my bedroom. They are simply dishes with a layer of sand, and an variety of crystals like Ameythest, Amber, Ametrine, Citrine, Etc.

I know I expereinced less severe ones once I placed several dishes of "Crystal islands" on shelves around my bedroom. They are simply dishes with a layer of sand, and an variety of crystals like Ameythest, Amber, Ametrine, Citrine, Etc.

Hmmm interesting idea Anjel i might give that a go :) I had this weird and waky way of dealing with unwanted spirits/negativity that when i was attacked worked well the next time it happened. I carry a small bottle of bubble mix that i have blessed/put energies into it etc. and i swear nearly anytime i can feel something ( except in extreme circumstances) sure enough if i blow the bubbles at it or the room u can feel them instantly leave the room...im sure its cos of the happy rainbow colours and happiness bubbles have that they just cant handle it :)

The other think i have that i dont do without is hanging a mirror over my head as i sleep so that anything that tries to attack the bed or me and Andy in the bed is reflected back.

Sandy that book sounds like a great investment, I'll be making sure i can get my hands on a copy :D

I have had these experiences before. I felt like I was being smothered. Like in a box. To me, It was a dream that I interpreted as needing to get away from the person I was with at the time. The dreams eased up after I left, but never really left until I left the state and came home. But I never saw an entity, I felt like I was being squeezed, which I realy was, during my conscious time.

• 3 months later...

I got a question? Why do you all think that several of you have had this experience? I don't believe that I did, I have felt that in a dream and called on my dragon and was woke up, as I believed I also had a asthma attack when I woke.

Startella

I got a question? Why do you all think that several of you have had this experience? I don't believe that I did, I have felt that in a dream and called on my dragon and was woke up, as I believed I also had a asthma attack when I woke.

Startella

Well to be honest with you...my experiences are clearly not asthma attacks...nor any logical explanation could be found.

For example...several months ago I showed Kitchenwitch a horrible bruise that was on my inner part of my thigh. It appeared and it was painful. I had not hit my thigh or bumped into anything previously. Examples of this has happened to me on numerous occassions over the years.

I also recall seeing a dark figure of a man standing over my bed over my bed one night and pulled me up...I woke up...saw him and screamed. I about gave Ray a heart attack.

That also wasn't the first time I had seen him either.

I know this because it has happened to me.

Guest Rebie

Startella

I have not had the same experiance as these ladies. But I do beleive they have. This is not something new. It has happend to many people for many years. And not all of these people were witches.

Rebie

Startella

Also here...a traumatic experience...even in a dream can trigger a physical reaction...such as a asthma attack.

I have not had the same experiance as these ladies. But I do beleive they have. This is not something new. It has happend to many people for many years. And not all of these people were witches.

Rebie

I do not doubt anyone has these experiences, I think I was trying to explain away my own experiences. One I remember quite well, and as I said I had for the first time in my life had an asthma attack. Although I never saw what was holding me down, or why my husband could not hear me, I just thought it was a dream.

I jumped here, people that are not pagan actually don't talk about these things much, and I wasn't really thinking - I know that anyone can have these experiences. :embarased:

Startella

Guest Rebie
I do not doubt anyone has these experiences, I think I was trying to explain away my own experiences. One I remember quite well, and as I said I had for the first time in my life had an asthma attack. Although I never saw what was holding me down, or why my husband could not hear me, I just thought it was a dream.

I jumped here, people that are not pagan actually don't talk about these things much, and I wasn't really thinking - I know that anyone can have these experiences. :embarased:

Startella

:)

Rebie

Guest Phoenixahi

hmmm ya know I get 'visited' by many but there have only been two times where I really felt that something dark was trying to control me - something I do NOT take to kindly too

first time I was in the lounge zoning out in front of the fire with my kids around me when I swear I felt a 'cloud' of - for want of a better word - negativity just envelope me ! My beautiful rainbow lorikeet went nuts and squarked the place down which brought me out of the state I was in and helped me realise what the heck was going on

shields up :bolt:

Second time I was in my bed minding my own business as ya do when horizontal when this - HUGE entity barged into my room and I swear it looked like a Minotour just leaped on top of me - well this time I lost it and put my shields up (white light infusion with mirror images is how I visualise it) and swore blue murder at it

it hovered for a bit then left and then I felt so vulnerable which is not something I like much (who does huh)

never came back and it better bloody not either ! :grind:

although for the longest time, meditating made me a little nervous as both times I was in a meditative state *sigh*

I too had an experience when I was in college. I was in my apartment taking a nap during the afternoon, and was abruptly woken up by what felt like someone strangling my neck. It was quite freaky. I never did check to see if there were any marks on my neck, but being that I usually wore my hair up in a ponytail, I probably would have noticed or my roommates would have said something if any marks where there. It was the one and only time that happened while I was living in that apartment.

Another incident that happened about a year or so ago? I was just about to drift off to sleep when I distinctly heard a growl in my right ear. I jumped up out of the bed as if someone lit a flame under my ass. There is the possibility that it was just my kitty purring in my ear. However, I do recall that she was standing up at the foot of my bed, and was definitely looking at the direction where I heard the growl. Since then I have learned to always put up a shield when I go to sleep.

I have Hufford's book. It was a textbook for a folklore and the supernatural course I did for my minor. The prof said that every year someone had "the hag" upon reading his book before bed. It happened in my class too. Not me though, that freaked me out too much to read it before bed. I read it at high noon!! LOL

I've had this happen to me on several occassions as well...normally Ray is the one who is there...now he isn't and it is even more terrorfying when you are alone.

I find that moderating my breqthing and trying to move even a finger can make an imporovment.

Yeah..a few of the traditional ways of breaking an old hag attack are:

If someone is with you, and they know what's happening, they are to say your name backwards.

Throw a glass bottle at the entity attacking you (don't know why this works or how you're supposed to do it but there you go)

Relax and concentrate on wiggling your finger, if you can wiggle your finger, move your hand, your arm and so on until you break the attack. (this is the one I see as most credible)

J

For the record (and for Newfoundlanders everywhere) in our defense...Most of the old timers (and alot of the rural folk) were raised on salted meat/fish and root vegetables. Sodium content is through the roof on traditional foods from here, and circulatory problems are common...so it's no wonder that our food was to blame! LOL

Talk sushi to a Newfie and he'd laugh at you! Raw!?! Nah, b'y. We dry and salt our fish, then soak it, then eat it!!:nana:

I have read about something similar in a novel, but I think it was about a succubus that came at night. I have had truble sleeping for a while, I just can't fall asleep and when my boyfriend is allready asleep it's even worse. I have done protection spells for the apartement and cleansed it beacause it has always been filled with negative energy but I have truble feeling safe at night. For a period now I have woken up just as I was falling asleep, from someone screaming and also coughing in my ear, I'm pretty sure it was a woman.

When I was younger I had one experience that was pretty frightening but it was weird beacause it felt nice in the beginning and then it turned bad. It felt like my room was filled with wings or down and the presence felt nice until I felt like I was suffocating. It never came back though.

The worst thing with these sleeping problems is that I feel som powerless and scared. Do you have any ideas on how to get rid of ones fears?

I realise there is a lot of work to actually getting through fear but if you have any ideas I would appreciate it!

Thistle

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting topic and replies...Ive never experienced this before. I have had dreams about 2 yrs ago where I saw my mother walking from the Dinning room to the bathroom or kitchen. In this dream I knew I was in bed and asleep, but could not get up or move to go to her. I finally woke myself and then went right back to sleep and the dream occured again, but this time I managed to get up and move to the bedroom wall but it was like I was being held back and really had to struggle. I never made it to the doorway though and woke up again. Havent had this type dream again. Never figured it out or what it meant.

Sorry for posting this here, but didnt know what to calle it and didnt want to take up space lol.