Crone's Book of Magical Words

Morgana

I just picked up this book on a whim, Crone's Book of Magical Words by Valerie Worth. Its actually cute, more like poetry than spells. Here's one from the book:

For Breaking a Curse

Gather certain fallen twigs,

One of hazel. one of oak,

One of elm and one of willow;

Hold them to the fire's smoke,

Say this softly, seven times all:

Turner be turned,

Burner be burned;

Let only good

Come out of this wood.

Spit on each and break it small

Cast them in the fire's mouth-

The curse will die with the fire's death.

I just thought it was a cute little book, but have no clue what I will use it for.

:rolleyes:

I think I'd like it just cause it's got "crone" in the title. I love that word, lol... I'm feeling more and more like an old one each day... :cool:

Hahahahhahaha! I'm not sure that is possible with how young you are!:shock:

Kw, what are ya, a whole 20 yrs old. Talk to me when you get to be 50 something. I feel an old Crone everyday!!!LOL Anyway, like I said, its a cute book, probably the only cute book I own.

:flirt:

LMAO Morgana!! I have two grown daughters - 22 and 19 - so no, I'm NOT a twenty-something!! (Actually I'm 40.)

I am feeling rather cronish of late. A few wrinkles here and there... more gray than I care to think about (and that is graciously covered by my hairstylist)... and some joint stiffness that is either age related or job related, but whatever it is, it's still there. UGH.

Other than the joint stiffness, I don't mind getting older. As a matter of fact, 40 was an excellent birthday for me. I felt very hopeful and I am looking forward to moving out of motherhood/wifehood and into myself. Now, not that I won't be a mom or wife anymore... just that I am finally realizing that those roles no longer define who I am. You know what I mean?

:cool:

Ya look like your 20!!! So you're closer to me....but not catching up!!LOL

I have to agree, I hit 50 this yr and I'm finally settling into a comfy lifestyle. Oldest is 20, youngest 13, both housebroken and somewhat domesticated. I can come and go as I please, but most the time I just like to sit and relax with friends. Believe me, I know exactly what you mean. I've actually noticed that I am getting too comfy in the role of Crone, and I really like it. As my Dad used to say: Young enough to know better, old enough not to care. Its taken this long for me to appreciate those little words of wisdom.

• 3 months later...
LMAO Morgana!! I have two grown daughters - 22 and 19 - so no, I'm NOT a twenty-something!! (Actually I'm 40.)

I am feeling rather cronish of late. A few wrinkles here and there... more gray than I care to think about (and that is graciously covered by my hairstylist)... and some joint stiffness that is either age related or job related, but whatever it is, it's still there. UGH.

I felt very hopeful and I am looking forward to moving out of motherhood/wifehood and into myself. Now, not that I won't be a mom or wife anymore... just that I am finally realizing that those roles no longer define who I am. You know what I mean?

:cool:

I got this little book a couple of years ago, I picked it up cause I felt rather cronish too, and liked the title.. LOL At 48 now, I have one child 29 and my youngest is 22 and between the two I have 4 grandsons.

My hair has gray in it, I have it colored because my daughter says it looks better that way <G> she is so sweet! And lots of joints being stiff, I think its from breaking horses and bull riding when I was a younger.

Kids are out of the house, and no husband only a boyfriend, I have now gotten into the part time caregiver stage of my life with my father thats 83. But even with that I actually enjoy getting older. :)

Startella

Guest BlackDog

This is a great little book. I have used it for years as an aid to constructing spells and rituals. It was originally published as simply ?The Crones Book of Words? If you like this book there are two companion volumes, The Crones Book of Wisdom and The Crones Book of Charms and Spells.

What I like about these books is that though they were marketed toward a Wiccan audience, the book material is quite non-sectarian. Valerie died in 1994 and the Book of Charms and Spells was released posthumously.

Flags, Flax and Fodder,

BlackDog

I just picked up this book on a whim, Crone's Book of Magical Words by Valerie Worth. Its actually cute, more like poetry than spells. Here's one from the book:

For Breaking a Curse

Gather certain fallen twigs,

One of hazel. one of oak,

One of elm and one of willow;

Hold them to the fire's smoke,

Say this softly, seven times all:

Turner be turned,

Burner be burned;

Let only good

Come out of this wood.

Spit on each and break it small

Cast them in the fire's mouth-

The curse will die with the fire's death.

I just thought it was a cute little book, but have no clue what I will use it for.

:rolleyes:

I had thiis book once (it was stolen from my home). I found it interesting. Alittel too wiccany for taste at times...but overall not to sickneing wiccany.

I have both the Crone's Book of Magical Words and the Crone's book of Charms and Spells. I think they are both worth a read just for the poetic style alone.

Interestingly enough, in both books, there is a warning to the readers from her husband:

"Readers should be aware that some of the charms? are imitations of older magic; they were composed to be read not practiced."

None the less, I find that they come in handy for provding inspiration when constructing spells and rituals.