Know Thyself...know Thy Target

AnjelWolf

Ok...over the weekend I purchased a few new books. One of the ones I am reading right now is called "Mind Penetration" by Dr. Haha Lng, ISNB-13: 978-0-8065-2852-6.

Now this book talks about penetrating your enemies mind...to conquer him (it also talks about how women are better at this than men LOL!)...etc.

One of the things that have been coming up, page after page, is 2 rules of Black Science (which is heavily talked about in this book).

Definition of Black Science is: Generic, any strategy, tactic, and/or technique used to interfere with and/or undermine a person's ability to reason and respond for themselves.

First rule is "Know Thyself", second rule is "Know thy enemy better than they know themselves".

This drove home to me and I could see where this could actually apply to witches as well (especially new ones, which is why I am placing this topic in here, so this might help many of our newbies, while also getting a conversation started).

Before anyone starts to under take anything pertaining to witchcraft (herbs...healing...hexing...spells in general, etc.)...they need to apply these two rules to them selves as well.

Granted...many newcomers might shy away from hexing and might wonder why rule two would or should be so important to them, and think rule one isn't hard...but let me try to explain here.

"Know thyself" is a dire must...no matter how you try to dismiss it. How are you ever going to know what path is right for you unless you know yourself??? Easy enough??? Sounds simple. But that's the point...it is much easier to make it sound simple, than it is to live it (trial and error plays a BIG role here).

"Know your enemies better than they know themselves". Let me change this a bit to "Know they target/spell/etc." In other words...before you do a spell (love/healing/hexing/etc.) or a healing with herb mixture and/or crystal combination, or anything related to this area...KNOW who you are doing it for (hexing your neighbor? Better know your neighbor better than they know themself...likes/dislikes...etc...wanna do a healing for a family or friend? Same thing...better KNOW them form inside and out prior to doing one).

Also...KNOW the spell inside and out (ingredients...words/chants/etc.), if you go by moon cycles...KNOW the cycles...etc. Again...this sounds easier than than it is to live it.

It WILL take practice. But as they say...anything worth doing...is worth doing all the way.

Basically this appears to be a decent book so far but I also wanted to share this with those who are new to this forum as well.

Any responses?????

One of the things I have enjoyed most about this path is how it has made me explore myself, and the things I have learned about myself, and the way I've started noticing things about other people and watching other peoplel... very on target, your post, even for things as simple as someone asking me for a spell... know them well enough to know if it's what they really need at this time...

I agree with having to know yourself but not the person you are hexing or doing a spell for. Admittedly it is easier, just like having a peice of their hair, a photo etc but this isnt always possible.

I have successfully hexed many people who I have never seen before and know nothing about :)

Also, I provide spells for lots of people and all I ask for is their full name and date of birth and a pic if they can manage (but most wont provide a pic) - this has worked fine for me and them :)

The really important thing I believe is know thyself. If you do not understand or confront your own inner thoughts and desires and learn to embrace, even the darker aspects of your soul, then I don't believe you can perform any kind of magick successfully.

It seems like you almost have to have an intuitive idea of your target as well. Especially in the healing arts. Knowing the persons' allergies, plus their tolerance for healing potions. You are right. This is an important topic, to be studied further.

Taking confidential notes on a person you are healing, with that information discussed and placed in a locked cabinet(yes, even in your own home)is essential and keeps the trust of your healing "target."

I personally beleive it is not necessary to know your target (like Sandy said) but it may help your spell to be more productive if you do. Now I do think that some people are so intuitive that they do not need to know the target that well. They are more experianced and have that special gift. Like Sandy. Myself, I feel I would have to know something about them, and have a visual.

Rebie

I think its important to know yourself irrespective of what you do or who you are! If you don't know yourself and all aspects of your nature, then how can you succeed at anything!

If you shy away from spells or hexing then you are probably right to do so....either not ready, not knowledgeable enough to have confidence in your abilities. Always allowing of course, for those who choose not to do either!

Knowing your spells I think is a must, in so much that you have to be clear of your intent, otherwise it could all end up a mess. Knowing your target...well, its been said before...ok if thats possible, but often it just isn't

This is a really interesting post, and until know I never really thought about the part know thy target. I have always believed in knowing thyself...including admitting to all of who you are whether you like it or not eg. bad habits, other sides of u that others may think of as "bad". You need both sides to create balance.

However, (being my personal belief) i dont like casting things on other people such as hexes...and i really dont like it when people ask me to do spells for them...I believe if they want to do something about it then they should do it...only they know what they want done, and it seems to me that they seem to scared to face the consequences of their own actions and would prefer someone else to take that responcibility on for them.

Thats not to say that i wont help people out for example with cleansing, healing, and clearing spells etc. but i had never thought of it as a target...now realising it, unconsciously everything we do has some sort of target. As one of the posts says, healing someone with spellwork is like being a physician...one needs to know the details so as the patient gts the best care... so it is the same with spellwork, thus everytime we set about to create a spell, time and energy is needed to know what the target is and what is relevant to it...theres no use casting a healing spell for depression on someone when they may actually may need a confidence boost !!!

lol im rambling now hopefully this makes some sense!:chakrahearts:

One of the first pieces of advice I was given on this forum was: Know Thyself. It was given by a couple of people. This is really hard to do, but that's why it's so worth it. It certainly is a process...I'm still not sure where I am along the way but I know myself a little better once I joined this forum than I did before. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Not sure about knowing the target, but it only makes sense, especially for newbies, that the better you know your target, the better the working will take...

Ok...over the weekend I purchased a few new books. One of the ones I am reading right now is called "Mind Penetration" by Dr. Haha Lng, ISNB-13: 978-0-8065-2852-6.

Now this book talks about penetrating your enemies mind...to conquer him (it also talks about how women are better at this than men LOL!)...etc.

One of the things that have been coming up, page after page, is 2 rules of Black Science (which is heavily talked about in this book).

Definition of Black Science is: Generic, any strategy, tactic, and/or technique used to interfere with and/or undermine a person's ability to reason and respond for themselves.

First rule is "Know Thyself", second rule is "Know thy enemy better than they know themselves".

This drove home to me and I could see where this could actually apply to witches as well (especially new ones, which is why I am placing this topic in here, so this might help many of our newbies, while also getting a conversation started).

Before anyone starts to under take anything pertaining to witchcraft (herbs...healing...hexing...spells in general, etc.)...they need to apply these two rules to them selves as well.

Granted...many newcomers might shy away from hexing and might wonder why rule two would or should be so important to them, and think rule one isn't hard...but let me try to explain here.

"Know thyself" is a dire must...no matter how you try to dismiss it. How are you ever going to know what path is right for you unless you know yourself??? Easy enough??? Sounds simple. But that's the point...it is much easier to make it sound simple, than it is to live it (trial and error plays a BIG role here).

"Know your enemies better than they know themselves". Let me change this a bit to "Know they target/spell/etc." In other words...before you do a spell (love/healing/hexing/etc.) or a healing with herb mixture and/or crystal combination, or anything related to this area...KNOW who you are doing it for (hexing your neighbor? Better know your neighbor better than they know themself...likes/dislikes...etc...wanna do a healing for a family or friend? Same thing...better KNOW them form inside and out prior to doing one).

Also...KNOW the spell inside and out (ingredients...words/chants/etc.), if you go by moon cycles...KNOW the cycles...etc. Again...this sounds easier than than it is to live it.

It WILL take practice. But as they say...anything worth doing...is worth doing all the way.

Basically this appears to be a decent book so far but I also wanted to share this with those who are new to this forum as well.

Any responses?????

This brings up a question Anjel, How does one go about "knowing themselves?"

Is it an awareness, or trying to have an awareness, of your feelings when you didn't notice before? I mean, it's not as if you're going to go up to a mirror, look at yourself and ask "who are you?" hoping that you're going to get a response...It can be very confusing!! Do we ever really know how to go about doing this? Is it based on intuition as it's such an individual thing?

Any thoughts? Anyone?

As my signature implies, I am a huge proponent of "Know Thyself". To me, it is an ongoing process. You simply dont wake up one morning and get it. We change, as do the seasons and everything else in nature. It is what we are a part of. Life itself is change. To be mindfully aware of the changes within that continuously occur, be they; emotional, mental, physical, spiritual or a combination of any or all, is in essence, knowing thyself.

I dont feel any "need" to know my target per-say. I feel that I am capable of doing what needs to be done whether I know the person or not. Sure any additional info is useful but I also keep in mind that the one who is usually relaying that information is adding their own perception to it (might not be accurate) and for me that is a factor. I get around it most of the time by pulling a reading on the target if I feel it is necessary. Their cooperation is not required. A name is helpful though, LOL.

As for how do you "Know Thyself", like I said that is a process. When we strip away all of the masks and hats we wear and look at what we have left, that is the beginning. The deepest, darkest fears and insecurities (for me) was to be my starting point. Believe it or not, I found certain self help books very useful in the initial process. I read one in particular (Dr Phil no less), 3 times over the course of a couple of weeks. Each time I read it, I applied it in a different aspect, ultimately applying it magically. Sounds weird, I know, but it helped tremendously.

Lastly, I found some things to be what I called "Universal Truths". Some didnt make sense at all but the more I stripped away the masks and layers of "me", the more sense it all made.

Here are several of them that you may also find of use. They may come off as kinda "duh" but examine them deeper and you will hopefully understand where I'm going with this...

1. You will be given a body. ( No one said you will like it, btw)

2.You will be presented with life's lessons. Ask yourself. "What do I need to learn that I havent been learning?"

3.There are no mistakes, only lessons.

4.Lessons are repeated until they are learned. (This one is too true!!!)

5.Learning does not end, there are always lessons.

6.There is "no" better than here. (Where you're at is where you're supposed to be)

7. Others are only a mirror of yourself. (This was my most difficult one to get!)

8.What you make of your life is up to you. (Cant blame or credit others)

9.All of the answers are inside of you. Only you.

10. You will forget all of this at birth.

As my signature implies, I am a huge proponent of "Know Thyself". To me, it is an ongoing process. You simply dont wake up one morning and get it. We change, as do the seasons and everything else in nature. It is what we are a part of. Life itself is change. To be mindfully aware of the changes within that continuously occur, be they; emotional, mental, physical, spiritual or a combination of any or all, is in essence, knowing thyself.

I dont feel any "need" to know my target per-say. I feel that I am capable of doing what needs to be done whether I know the person or not. Sure any additional info is useful but I also keep in mind that the one who is usually relaying that information is adding their own perception to it (might not be accurate) and for me that is a factor. I get around it most of the time by pulling a reading on the target if I feel it is necessary. Their cooperation is not required. A name is helpful though, LOL.

As for how do you "Know Thyself", like I said that is a process. When we strip away all of the masks and hats we wear and look at what we have left, that is the beginning. The deepest, darkest fears and insecurities (for me) was to be my starting point. Believe it or not, I found certain self help books very useful in the initial process. I read one in particular (Dr Phil no less), 3 times over the course of a couple of weeks. Each time I read it, I applied it in a different aspect, ultimately applying it magically. Sounds weird, I know, but it helped tremendously.

Lastly, I found some things to be what I called "Universal Truths". Some didnt make sense at all but the more I stripped away the masks and layers of "me", the more sense it all made.

Here are several of them that you may also find of use. They may come off as kinda "duh" but examine them deeper and you will hopefully understand where I'm going with this...

2.You will be presented with life's lessons. Ask yourself. "What do I need to learn that I havent been learning?"

6.There is "no" better than here. (Where you're at is where you're supposed to be)

7. Others are only a mirror of yourself. (This was my most difficult one to get!)

This is a great explanation.

Rebie

Food for thought, Arabi. Thanks, hun...:)

Re knowing your target: Someone had been repeatedly trying to break into my house. I was getting very worried and was setting up to do a little nasty spell on them when I got this sudden and overwhelming feeling that if I did the spell my son would get hurt. As soon as he got home I said to him point blank "You're the one who's been breaking into the house, aren't you?" He looked down and said "Yeah..." I was really upset when I realized what I could have done to him and asked him why in the hell he was breaking into the house. With complete logic and no humor he answered "Because you told me if I lost my key again you'd ground me for a month, and I lost my key again." So this time, I did, thank god, know my target just in time!!!!!

Re other people are a mirror of yourself. This is, for me, very true. WHen someone is really pissing me off, I can often find an element of myself in the way they are acting -and often an element I don't like - and recognizing it through them, I am often able to work on it.

Re knowing your target: Someone had been repeatedly trying to break into my house. I was getting very worried and was setting up to do a little nasty spell on them when I got this sudden and overwhelming feeling that if I did the spell my son would get hurt. As soon as he got home I said to him point blank "You're the one who's been breaking into the house, aren't you?" He looked down and said "Yeah..." I was really upset when I realized what I could have done to him and asked him why in the hell he was breaking into the house. With complete logic and no humor he answered "Because you told me if I lost my key again you'd ground me for a month, and I lost my key again." So this time, I did, thank god, know my target just in time!!!!!

You were listening to your intuition. That is something a lot of ppl have a hard time doing. Thank goodness you payed attention to it. Poor kid, I hope you didn't ground him :(

Rebie

I think that to "know thyself" is one of the fundamentals of magic. Magical mastery requires self mastery, and to master the self we must first know the self. Magical practitioners have to realize their strengths and weaknesses, their fears and motivations. They not only affect us as individuals, but they also deeply affect our magical work. The better we know ourselves, the more potent our magic.

Knowledge really is the first step towards mastering anything. I practice magic through Will, and in order to use my Will, I have to know my Will. For me, this involves digging down through the layers of consciousness, into the subconscious, and finally to a state of gnosis, where every fiber of my being is focused on the object of my working. Because I know my Will, and I am able to train and focus my Will for magical work. To me, that is the heart of magic.

As for casting on others, I never thought it was necessary to know everything about the target, although it does help to have some way to connect to them. When I meet someone in person, I pick up their vibe, aura, energy signature, or whatever you want to call it. That's how I connect to them, instead of using things like hair or fingernails (although those things would probably work in the same way.) In trance, I seek out their signature, connect to them, and cast. It does help to know what makes someone tick if you're going to manipulate thoughts or actions, but it's not absolutely necessary, IMO.

Poor kid??? Sodding bugger - of course I grounded him!!!! LOL - He's lucky that's all I did ;-)

LOL! I agree! I would have done the same thing AND made him pay for the key and a really secure key chain. One of my friends moms, when I was going to school, made them wear it as a necklace at all times.

If he has to pay for it he might put more value on keeping it safe and close. Soon he would get tired of shelling out the cash every time;).

• 4 years later...

In light of some of the recent threads and a conversation in chat , thought I would give this a bump..

I think that to "know thyself" is one of the fundamentals of magic. Magical mastery requires self mastery, and to master the self we must first know the self. Magical practitioners have to realize their strengths and weaknesses, their fears and motivations. They not only affect us as individuals, but they also deeply affect our magical work. The better we know ourselves, the more potent our magic.

:thumbsup:

I agree with having to know yourself but not the person you are hexing or doing a spell for. Admittedly it is easier, just like having a peice of their hair, a photo etc but this isnt always possible.

I have successfully hexed many people who I have never seen before and know nothing about :)

Also, I provide spells for lots of people and all I ask for is their full name and date of birth and a pic if they can manage (but most wont provide a pic) - this has worked fine for me and them :)

The really important thing I believe is know thyself. If you do not understand or confront your own inner thoughts and desires and learn to embrace, even the darker aspects of your soul, then I don't believe you can perform any kind of magick successfully.

I agree with this.

More often than not, you would not know your target so well to have intimate knowledge of them. You may have some superficial knowledge of them, but I don't think you are going to get to know them all that well. I also do not think it matters much if you don't know their idiosyncrasies. Collect as much information as possible through mundane means, divination, etc. You may not even have a name - so just say the woman bitch next door or the man jerk across the street in your working.

I know hoodoo likes to get personal concerns of the target to focus the spell and link to the target, but lets face it, that may be very difficult if not impossible to get, so cast away without it, your spell will still work. At least that has been my experience, although it may take more repeated focus on your part if you do not have the personal concern(s).

The OP stated females are better at getting into peoples heads, but I do not think gender matters in this, but rather one's skills - both women and men can be nags and nitpick you to death, LOL.

I do very much agree with knowing yourself as much as possible, but event there, a person may have subconscious drives and influences unbeknown to them.

The OP stated females are better at getting into peoples heads, but I do not think gender matters in this, but rather one's skills - both women and men can be nags and nitpick you to death, LOL.

I do very much agree with knowing yourself as much as possible, but event there, a person may have subconscious drives and influences unbeknown to them.

I think the relative men are this way women another way is rather cultural. With radical changes in culture during my mother's generation led into my generation making lots more room for men to express and practice certain characteristics, talents and skills For example emotional skills, women were in turn given more opportunity to express physical skills, like athletics to give just two examples. We have seen in a short time that a person of the opposite stereotype gender who specializes or makes an effort in a previously gendered natural aptitude, can easily outpace someone of the "right" gender who hasn't put any attention to that area. I feel grateful to live in times when these stereotypes are fast dying out, and I hope they continue to do so.

Furthermore men and women of my generation were particularly encouraged to be more introspective, with a plethora of TV shows where the teen characters thought very deeply about knowing themselves popular right when I was a teen.

I agree that knowing your target can be a big help, then you may know what kind of effect will work best. The more I know the easier it is, but even when i don't I can still do an effective working, it just takes a different and more general tack.

• 1 year later...

I have found this topic very intriquing and consider it worthy of a bump. I have found that knowing and understanding my internal motivations helps me to be a more effective person overall, not just a more effective Witch, though they are one in the same. I wanted to also point out that by making our fears and insecurities known to the whole world, we are opening ourselves up to possible magical influence and manipulation. For example, I love when people expose too much of themselves and their lives, because being the opportunistic person that I am, I will file those little bits of information away for possible use later. This goes along with the taglock thread. People just love to share.