Fishcakes

Jaime

We Newfies love :flirt: our salt anything: salt beef, salt pork, and salt fish. When we say fish, we mean cod. Any other kind of fish and we'll actually specify by the name itself! lol This recipe comes from my Aunt Theresa. Her fishcakes are the best I've ever tasted. The amounts of ingredients, again, are approximate..I usually don't measure anything so I'm guessing at the quantities....I'll generalize here, but don't feel you need to be to the letter about following the recipe.

Ingredients:

1/2 lb salt fish

2-3 lbs of potatoes (yellow fleshed....the drier the variety of potato the better - I use Yukon Gold variety)

1 medium onion diced small (or more to taste)

3 TBsp of savory

1-2 tsps of lemon pepper

small amount of neutral oil for sauteing the onion

Soak salt fish overnight. Change the water a couple of times. Bring salt fish to a boil and cook for about five minutes (salt fish is considered cooked already, what you're doing here is softening it up. You don't want it so that it comes apart too much as you're going to be stirring it into the mashed potatoes anyway and it'll break up a lot then).

Boil potatoes until done, but don't overcook them so they fall apart easily when pierced with the tip of a knife (when checking for doneness). Drain and begin to mash (if you'd like your cakes a little on the lumpy don't mash too much)

Saute the diced onion in a neutral flavored oil. Add savory and lemon pepper. Cook until onions are soft and translucent.

You'll want to time it so that the potatoes, fish and onions are done at the same time. So first drain and mash the potatoes, then drain fish and break apart into pieces a little larger than you'd like to have in your finished cakes. Then add the onion and stir all together. Then, while warm (actually it'll probably be quite hot if you're not used to cooking so be careful!), take a couple of spoonfuls of the mixture and shape into balls. You can freeze them at this stage and they'll keep for a good while (months) if you can keep them as airtight as possible.

If you want to enjoy right away you can place these little cakes (in ball form) and fry them up in some oil (traditionally they're cooked in the salted back fat of a pig that's been diced up really small- no, I'm not kidding, we call the little fried bits scrunchins; the fat that renders outis very salty and flavours the cakes as you're cooking them as well. Hey I said we love out salt). Push the balls down with a fork or spatula to make the cakes flat. Some people dredge the cakes in flour so they won't stick to the frying pan, but I cook them in a well seasoned cast iron frying pan; they don't stick to that so I don't bother dredging. I eat them plain and sometimes with a little ketchup. They're great with some toast and tea to have at lunch and people love them if you're having a potluck or a brunch!

Hope what I've written makes sense to you who're reading it!! And BTW, if you need some savory, let me know. PM me your snail mail addy and I'll send some to you. It's said that the savory from NL is different from the mainland due to the acidity of our soil, our short growing season and our funny climate so even if you try the savory from, say, California or even if you grow your own, it probably won't taste the same.

Enjoy:)

Archived