Fight Over The Golden Compass

Holly

My boyfriend was listening to NPR the other day and told me that the churchies are just now having a fit over this story since it's been made into a movie. It is the first book in a trilogy (His Dark Materials) that my mother read but I never had time for anything past the first few chapters of TGC. She told me that the whole series turns out to be very Christian-oriented, like an Adam and Eve story of creation, but the churchies are saying that the content is horribly Atheist (and there are witches in it).

Anyway, does anyone know what is really going on with this story? Is it Christian or Anti? Did they change the theme for the movie to keep it politically correct? Are the churchies further retarded for burning these books that they kept on their shelves without reading?

That i dont know. I do know however that the country music radio station here in the Florida Keys stopped advertising it because they heard it was anti-christ and all and talked about demons.

I know personally I want to see this movie but not for the bullshiit hype but for the fact that the previews looked good and the actors are pretty good names in it as well.

The books are very good and very interesting from what I have read. I don't see them as anything other than good stories. I really liked it because all of the children have familiars called Daemons. Which protect the children and keep them from harm. The story is of their great adventures and the main character is a strong girl figure.

Honestly the Christians just like to bitch and moan about movies that if they saw, they would like. So since they can't, because they would be shunned by all of their believing friends, they do this. I can personally attest to this, as I grew up in a Southern Baptist home. (and yes the rumors are true...we don't dance!)

My suggestion is go and see it and make your own decision and if it is well produced and they stick to the story line, I think you would love it!

If you like to read, the books are great!

Remember critics have that name for a reason. Nothing happened to "Harry Potter" and they won't do anything to "The Golden Compass". Remember the book "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" ? They got that one on the ban list and now it is required reading in schools.

that's just my ten cents ( mine appreciates with market fluctuations)

Here is the trailer! http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/?engine=

adwords!10095&keyword=%28the+golden+compass+

movie%29&match_type=

I have a difficult time taking the "Fundies" seriously, although I know we all MUST! They vote too, ya know. And they are only allowed to go through the 8th grade, so they vote for whoever their leader tells them to.

I have to read the books now. So can someone tell me the title of the series so I can get started?

His Dark Materials

and you can get all three books together in one at Wal-Mart if you live in the states! Forgot to check before I wrote this or try Amazon.com too!

I have a difficult time taking the "Fundies" seriously, although I know we all MUST!

Erm... :shock: ...why do we have to take them seriously?

They can preach the evils of fiction all they want to their own. Knock themselves out. Really, they can just go all unconscious and it won't bother me a bit.

I really liked the idea of the "daemon" protectors as well. They're like familiars ;) They are these cute animals that take the shape of your soul. That's about the farthest I got into the book.

Erm... :shock: ...why do we have to take them seriously?

They can preach the evils of fiction all they want to their own. Knock themselves out. Really, they can just go all unconscious and it won't bother me a bit.

Well, like I said above, they vote. Their leaders collect a great deal of lobbying money from them, and money means favors in Washington. We have to be VERY careful about our rights, we are losing them daily.

Well, like I said above, they vote. Their leaders collect a great deal of lobbying money from them, and money means favors in Washington. We have to be VERY careful about our rights, we are losing them daily.

If you think about it since their freaky churches/preachers insist on being involved in politics they should have to pay taxes...ok short rant over, LOL

Agreed, and they should tip. When I was a waitress, churchies who didn't believe in taxation also didn't believe in tipping (surprise...). I say, if you use the road that taxes built, pay your dues. If you eat out at a restaurant, pay your dues. Grr, touchie subject for me :)

The author of His Dark Materials, Phillip Pullman alternately calls himself an Atheist or Agnostic (I think he wavers on the subject). The books are, indeed, very anit-organized religion. The church that is portrayed in the book isn't the Catholic church, but is very similar to it.

His message is very anti-establishment, but isn't necessarily atheist or anti-religion.

They are asome of my favorite books -- highly reccomended!

• 4 months later...
If you think about it since their freaky churches/preachers insist on being involved in politics they should have to pay taxes...ok short rant over, LOL

It's funny you should say that babes because I have a bumper sticker on my car that reads: "Religious groups should stay out of politics or pay taxes"

I cant tell you how many times I get stopped on the road (especially over on the military base) and people tell me that they agree with it 100%.

Guest silver moon

try and forget the hype we loved it ,its worth a look ,it is about christianity and paganism ther givern defferant names. it is for older children thers alot going on . cant wait for the next film the ending is very abrupt with lots off unanswerd questions.

:Witch-1:

• 3 weeks later...

I really wanted to see it when it came out in theaters, the churchies really getting their panties in a bunch just makes people want to go see it more. I never got to read the books but I think I just might have to buy them now.

Like every book-movie they took some liberties with story details (that are actually important to plot). Love the series (been reading it since 6th grade). Watch the movie, then read the books. Details will fill in blanks

Guest Tiger Lady

I heard it was the Catholic Coalition (is that the name?). The same group that banned the DaVinci Code and the reason being was that the Golden Compass author is atheist.

I want to see it. I don't necessary believe in the way the author portrays totems or spirit guides. But then again my beliefs of how totems work may not be right either. But I still think it has a good basis for a movie. And like someone stated - an awesome group of actors.

Guest Tiger Lady

Oh and I should state - I don't know why this Catholic group continues to ban movies. It only makes for contraversary, which we all know draws a crowd. What better way to make something popular - tell people they can't or shouldn't see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Phillip Pullman was a bit disgruntled over the "Chronicles of Narnia" as a kid, with it's overt Christian message, so he wrote "His Dark Materials" to give kids a more "fair and balanced" view, so to speak.

Daemons are an old greek word for spirit, often helpful spirits at that. In fact, in the UNIX/Linux computer world, "daemons" are small services (applications if you will) that start up automatically when the computer boots up, that provide basic but extended functionality, such as the Logon function, or maybe an FTP or DNS server, etc.. In Windows 2000, 2003, and XP, these same things are simply called "Services".

The word was later perverted by the Church to mean evil dominions of Hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(mythology)

• 2 weeks later...

My older son and I saw the movie in the theater. We didn't read the books, although I read most of the first one quite a while back (can't remember much of it to compare to the movie).

Loved it. Loved the witches and the gypsies and the bears. I just fell into the movie and totally suspended my disbelief.

We do have to take the fundies seriously. Look what has happened in many communities here in the U.S. with the passage of laws interfering with religious freedom, teaching creationism in schools, taxes funding religious institutions (that don't pay taxes), etc. I don't want to get ranty or pushy, but I always suggest that people donate, when they can, to Americans United for Separation of Church and State (au.org). It's main spokesperson is a Methodist minister, Barry Lynn, but they are often first in the legal battles to keep separate church and state. They filed the lawsuit in the Dover school district battle and threatened to file one in California that kept the teaching of ID out of the curriculum. </endrant>

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tiger Lady

Just wanted to state - Loved It! Absolutely loved it! I can't wait for the next one to come out. And since I have it till Wednesday, I will be watching it again.

• 1 month later...

I got to watch this about a month ago FINALLY!! lol Now mind you I haven't had the pleasure of reading the books yet (money's tight right now so extras are out of the question). But just from watching the movie alone I got a very pagan/going after the 'witches'/protecting what you believe in from it. I'd heard all the hype about it being written by an atheist, and to be honest, with the way they were blowing it out of proportion, I thought that it must be absolutely chock full of blatent god hating propaganda. (I should have remembered Harry Potter at that point LOL). So I was surprised, and pleasantly so, when I realized the nature against man aspect of it. To me it was a story of mother nature fighting to take back control, with the help of her witches and the animals of the Earth. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents and I cannot WAIT for the next one, it's a wonderful story.

Archived