Aunt Sue's Chicken Curry

Jaime

Ingredients:

2 tsp curry powder

3 tsp coriander (if you have the seed, crush in morter and pestle, otherwise, use powder)

1 tsp chile (cayenne)

1/8 tsp cardamom (black)

1 tsp cumin (level tsp, don't add too much cumin)

1/2 tsp turmeric

fresh garlic (the more the merrier)

1/2 tsp fresh ginger (freeze and grate if you want...it's easier than grating from fresh or you can dice into little bits..)

1 large can diced tomatoes (or 4or 5 fresh tomatoes, diced)

4 medium onions, chopped

lots of chicken thighs (buy a big value pack of boneless/skinless and chop into strips or chunks...)

2 cups fresh milk

1 tsp white vinegar (or more depending on how sour you like your curry - I like mine on the tart side so I add a bit more)

1 tbsp honey

Salt if necessary

Saute the onions in oil (not olive, it will flavour the dish, use ghee if you've got it. If not, sunflower or grapeseed will do fine.

Add spices and saute a little while longer..then add tomatoes, chicken, milk, and bring to a boil...Add vinegar, stir it through and let cook until chicken is done. If it tastes like it's missing something...add the honey. The honey will round out the flavours of everything else. Add salt if necessary.

Eat with basmati. Don't worry that it's almost runny like soup...the rice sops up alot of that yummy broth.

My Aunt Sue passed on from her fight with cancer in July 2005. A couple of years before her death, my mother was visiting her and requested curry for supper. I was there too and was her assistant..ie, I watched her make it so as to learn how to...her curry was the best! My aunt cooked this dish with bone in chicken pieces (always dark meat - tastes better) and at the end, when the chicken was finished, she always added quartered hard boiled eggs...Don't know why, but she did (I'm not fussy on eggs so I leave them out, but my Mom loves the hard boiled eggs in it so when I make it for her, I keep them in).

I also add stuff to it as well...chick peas & broccoli stalks mostly, but you can use whatever you've got...this is a great all around spice mix for curry.

Whenever I go home for a visit, my Mom asks me to make the curry for her. She tells me it's almost spot on..For me, it's my way of remembering my aunt...

:flirt: Hope you like it too...

J

Archived