Tarantula Speak

Leesa

So are there any others here who own a spider(s)? And what kind have you got? I've got a Chilean Rose but unfortunately I'm unable to handle her. At least I think she's a her. She's still too young to know. She's also slightly aggressive which makes me think that she may not be a her and be a he instead....

Leesa

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only am i allergic to all spider bitss but I am also deeply terrorfied of them as well.

When one crawls on my house walls I call the cops :)

I have lots of spiders. I don't own them, they just choose to live here. I like them because they catch the mosquitoes which here can carry some pretty nasty viruses. I don't however allow the poisonous ones inside.

They also catch flies and we have flies in plague proportions in the summer months. I don't like spiders when they suddenly appear out of nowhere and jump on me but other than that, they're ok.

My daughter on the other hand, sees a spider and you'd think she was being attacked by Jack the Ripper!

StarChilde

I have lots of spiders. I don't own them, they just choose to live here. I like them because they catch the mosquitoes which here can carry some pretty nasty viruses. I don't however allow the poisonous ones inside.

They also catch flies and we have flies in plague proportions in the summer months. I don't like spiders when they suddenly appear out of nowhere and jump on me but other than that, they're ok.

Wow, I was going to post something like this. They're around the house. Outside, I leave them alone. Inside, I either kill them or free them outside if I'm in a benevolent mood. LOL And yeah, that suddenly appearing out of nowhere and jumping on you makes me jump.

My daughter on the other hand, sees a spider and you'd think she was being attacked by Jack the Ripper!

My daughter is the same way! And she's in her 20s. :rolleyes:

So are there any others here who own a spider(s)? And what kind have you got? I've got a Chilean Rose but unfortunately I'm unable to handle her. At least I think she's a her. She's still too young to know. She's also slightly aggressive which makes me think that she may not be a her and be a he instead....

Leesa

While I've come far in dealing with my aracnaphobia (I can be in the room with them now and not scream like a stuck pig while scrambling for the door), there is no way in hades I'd be able to live with one as a pet. lol.

In that regard, you are a far greater gal than me. I hope you two continue to get along well.

I had a few Mexican Red Kneed Tarantulas as pets. The reason being was my fear of spiders. My mother too. We bought 6 hatchlings and kept them in the airing cupboard in tupperware boxes and we bred fruit flies in the fridge LOL

After a few years in big vivariums, two spiders made it and they were bigger than the size of my hand, they were awesome. One developed cancer and the other I think my mum sold it in the end as I moved out.

Even though I am still rigid fear of spiders it isnt as bad as before.

My mom is like that-- her basement is basically a spider and frog den. We don't bother them, they mostly don't bother us...

I have spider issues. I went to Africa several years ago, and the zipper on my tent didn't close all the way. One morning, I found that I had an unexpected "friend" in the tent with me. Furry, 8 legs, about the size of a dinner plate... and about 2 feet from my head. I didn't even scream. I just scampered out of the tent and had the guide deal with it. I hardly slept at all on that trip.

After that, I've never been too excited about bringing a tarantula into my home. I'm sure they're fascinating pets, but I don't want to relive that morning.

I have spider issues. I went to Africa several years ago, and the zipper on my tent didn't close all the way. One morning, I found that I had an unexpected "friend" in the tent with me. Furry, 8 legs, about the size of a dinner plate... and about 2 feet from my head. I didn't even scream. I just scampered out of the tent and had the guide deal with it. I hardly slept at all on that trip.

After that, I've never been too excited about bringing a tarantula into my home. I'm sure they're fascinating pets, but I don't want to relive that morning.

Nope...see...right then and there seeing THAT thing....I would have pissed all over myself and ran to the nearest MILITIA to shoot the bastard LOL!

YES...I said MILITIA too! LOL!!!!

I was terrified of spiders - till I moved to Australia. Aside from having to deal with the idea that a lot of the tiny ones are dangerously poisonous, I also had to deal with the tarantula-looking Huntsman spiders that like to wander into your house. (The biggest I've seen so far is about as big a saucer and it was on my future in-laws' kitchen wall.) When they get in the house, my boyfriend likes to keep them around, because they eat the afore-mentioned poisonous spiders. So, I'm slowly getting over my fear by necessity. *shudder* Slowly.

LOL, Anjel! I think our guide was thinking the same thing you were. He cussed up a storm when he saw it. I can't say I blame him!

I usually try to keep a pretty cool head. Unfortunately, the giant tarantula wasn't the scariest experience I had on that trip. After I got back home, the bobcats and rattlesnakes didn't seem so bad. ;)

I love Mexican Red Knees. Beautiful and well tempered as well. I've handled those ones too. I've also handled the Goliath (which is the size of a large dinner plate fully grown, this one wasnt but was bigger than the other four I had on me at the time. She's also more aggressive then the other spieces so I had to keep them all separate).

I would LOVE to go to Australia! The spiders there facinate me. Esp the funnel web!!

Anyway, here's a pic of my spider Ares. It's not a very good pic though and she's/he's still pretty small. It was taken on my cell. I hope you all can see it. I named her/him Ares because of the God of War and also because my friend gave her/him to me on my bday and I'm an Aries.

Leesa

865_thumb.attach

Funny, I have a similar skull...tealights right? I like your spider...I think s/he's cute. I don't really have a fear of spiders I like having them in my home to deal with the other insects...I've never had any experience handling larger spiders. Maybe one day D (hubby) and I will get one (hubby thinks they're cool too, also thought Ares was cute). Someday I'd like to have a snake...never thought about a spider...

I'll probably end up having a zoo! Maybe it'll be an in-law and parent deterrent!! LOL...kidding, I love my parents and in-laws...:twisted:

The skull is actually for a fish aquarium but I liked it so I bought it and thought it would look really good in Ares home.

Yeah, my home will prbly at some point end up zoo-like. I want a couple of rats too and my husband wants a dog. I've had iguanas before and prefer them over snakes as I cant kill anything. Even my husband has to feed Ares cuz I cant do it lol But I also love snakes too and have handled my fair share

Leesa

yep... that freaks me out! I wish I could have a more open mind about spiders! I'm very envious of your talent, Leesa, and any else who learned to be calm around them.

I've never had a fear of animals. My mom did (snakes) but she somehow never managed to pass that on to me. In fact, I was the one bringing home the snakes instead of my brother lol. I brought home LOTS of animals lol..... Poor mom and dad lol

Leesa

LOL Constance, don't you just love those Huntsmen!

I often have them in my house, they're the ones that really freak out my daughter. I just leave them alone all the time they stay up there near the ceiling. If they come down lower I just catch them and toss them outside.

Keeps the mossies down!

StarChilde

• 1 year later...

Running into spiders are the fastest way to make an ass out of myself. They freak me out, and yet they just can't get enough of me. They seem to pop up everywhere I go. :Spider-1:

The other day I was at my computer (as I am now) and there was this small salticidae spider (those athletic buggers that love to jump around) that kept walking (at least it walked) from one place to another close to where my computer is. At some point, twice, it lifted a leg and waved. If I was told I wouldn't have believed it. It waved at me. o.O

If I was told I wouldn't have believed it. It waved at me. o.O

Awww, it must like you! :D

I have handled large spiders when I lived in Arizona. It was about the size of my hand and it was just a baby. I still have a fear of spiders though especially the ones that jump. Now that I'm living in Colorado, our big problem is black widows. I've had to teach my three-year-old to leave them alone.

Archived