Any ex or current smokers?

Leesa

Are there any smokers here trying to quit or have already done so? I smoke (I know I know, bad habit!!) but I want/need to quit.

How are you quitting or what methods worked for you when you did quit? I guess I'm in need of a bit of help!

Leesa

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have anything constructive to say that you probably haven't heard already... My boyfriend smokes I want him to quit, and I suggested everything I can think of, to chewing gum and trying to keep him otherwise occupied... I suggested he play the guitar every time his fingers itched for a cig, but that hasn't worked so much (he just smokes while playing the guitar anyway). I would want him to cut down slowly, and to be careful to not smoke before or after meals, or he'll get fat from food association (i.e. he eats instead of smokes).

Are there any smokers here trying to quit or have already done so? I smoke (I know I know, bad habit!!) but I want/need to quit.

How are you quitting or what methods worked for you when you did quit? I guess I'm in need of a bit of help!

Leesa

Leesa,

I smoke. I quit smoking for 3 years and I picked the habit up again when I went to Italy. I can tell you this, the best way for me was cold turkey as a New Year's Resolution. To me if I f***ed up on the first day of year it was BAD BAD BAD..LOL...Thus I was able to maintain it.

I'm planning to quit smoking again. My last cigarette will be on Dec 31,2007 right at 11:59pm. I will puff puff puff until the clock says 12am ;)

Current smoker here, enjoying every puff. :) I don't consider it a "bad" habit. For those who want to quit, I hope it's because YOU want to and are not pressured or coerced by others (whether family, friends, or the "do what I think is good for you" mentality of present-day society). If those who want to quit are doing it because they're being pressured and think they're "supposed to", I suggest doing research, read original studies, etc. before accepting the propaganda that smoking causes every disease in the world. It doesn't. Then make your own choice. There was a recent study--out of India, I think--associating ex-smokers more than current smokers with lung cancer, suggesting that smoking is protective. (Think about it...how many times have you heard of someone having lung cancer but they had quit smoking years ago?) There are many studies out there that show this...but you won't hear about them on the news. Too much money to be made demonizing and denormalizing smoking and smokers.

I switched from chemical and additive laden premades to rolling my own nearly two years ago. I buy tobacco in 1-lb bags and boxes of filtered tubes. I get about 2 cartons out of one bag. My cost--including tobacco and tubes--comes to about $1.10 a pack, but may differ in your state/area because of how it's taxed. If cost is a major factor in the decision to quit, roll-your-own is the way to go! If you have a green thumb and the space, growing-your-own would be best to bypass the exorbitant taxes altogether. Unfortunately, I have a black thumb.

I expect this post will cause a flurry of opposing viewpoints (my last post on this topic did) because this isn't the "norm" and goes against "what everybody knows is true" about smoking. But I'm not here to argue opinion. I've done a lot of research on smoking in the past two years--more than I ever dreamed I'd be doing when I set out on the internet to find out why there wasn't more opposition to all the smoking bans that have swept this country and the world--so I'm not just voicing "my opinion" here, and I'm certainly not going to just go along with everybody else and repeat the rhetoric of "what everybody knows is true"--it isn't. I won't clutter up the board further, but there are facts to back it up. If anyone wants more info, please PM me.

:rolleyes:Mooneshine, I'm with you. I smoke and have thought about quitting, but haven't. I did try a year ago when I went got an RX for Chantrix, made me sssoooo sick I quit taking it. Now I hear that it can cause more side effects than what was originally thought. I have yet to roll my own, but as I live in a county that has the highest taxes on cigs in the US, I go out of my county to buy not only cigs but gas too. I figure that I'm a healthy person, get my check ups every year, I get 1 cold a year that lasts about a week, haven't had the flu in 12 yrs (knock on wood), so why should I quit? Even my doctor says my lungs are in good shape. I feel that cancer is not caused by tobacco alone, but also your diet. I personally think that fast food and pre-packaged meals are what is causing a lot of illnesses. So I stay away from both, grow my own veggies, herbs, etc. Eat a lot of fish cuz hubby loves to fish and a friend of ours is a hunter, so we get fresh meat alot too.

So, like you, I'll catch some crap for my opinions, but they are just that, mine.

:rolleyes:

Well, my decision to quit has nothing to do with pressure. It is my own decision. I don't think anyone could ever quit if they truly don't want to themselves ;)

And Morgana...I hope you don't have taxes over the amount we do in NY for our cigarettes :eek: . One pack is $7 and change.

Right now we are the same, January 1, 2008 we go up another $1.00. So then we'll have the highest. Chicago tax and Cook County tax goes up on gas another 5 cents too. Seeing I live in both Chicago and Cook County, I usually go outside the county and shop for everything. I pay $3.65 per pack and $2.98 (Friday) gal. for gas outside of the city/county. In the city/county cigs are $7.24 and gas is $3.55 (today). This is because our politians here are idiots and think money grows on trees. The mayor tried to raise our property taxes by 80% but was threatened that he would never be mayor again (15 yrs) so backed off and is only adding $60 per property. Its still outragous!!

Right now we are the same, January 1, 2008 we go up another $1.00. So then we'll have the highest. Chicago tax and Cook County tax goes up on gas another 5 cents too. Seeing I live in both Chicago and Cook County, I usually go outside the county and shop for everything. I pay $3.65 per pack and $2.98 (Friday) gal. for gas outside of the city/county. In the city/county cigs are $7.24 and gas is $3.55 (today). This is because our politians here are idiots and think money grows on trees. The mayor tried to raise our property taxes by 80% but was threatened that he would never be mayor again (15 yrs) so backed off and is only adding $60 per property. Its still outragous!!

I hear you. They are planning here to raise the cigs as well. They want to make NY smoke free :rolleyes: . I'm in NYC so we get hit pretty fast with taxes. Property tax were raised up about 2 years ago (making it double what I was paying prior)

Ex-smoker here, although on occasion I do still smoke one or two and then have terrible pangs of guilt because I worked and sweated so hard to quit and I don't like how it makes me feel.

As to certain opinions on the health-effects of smoking... well... to each his own. I've seen enough gasping, need to be intubated, COPD patients to last a lifetime and to scare me the fuck away from anything inhaled.

The earth's air quality is bad enough. To purposefully add to what the environment pollutes me with seems stupid, at best.

That's MY opinion. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:Mooneshine, I'm with you. I smoke and have thought about quitting, but haven't. I did try a year ago when I went got an RX for Chantrix, made me sssoooo sick I quit taking it. Now I hear that it can cause more side effects than what was originally thought.

Thanks, Morgana. ;) Yup, the FDA is looking into Chantix for causing suicidal tendencies. Lucky your body rejected the drug (by making you sick) before it could do worse! I don't trust any of the so-called "smoking cessation" products. (I think it's just a way to keep us doped up and compliant...but that's just my opinion.) Personally, I'd rather smoke a natural herb than take manmade chemicals! I'm doing my best to cut as many harmful chemicals out of my food chain as I can.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUKN2062339020071120?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

They want to make NY smoke free :rolleyes: .

LOL So are they planning to ban fireplaces, grills, candles, incense, vehicles (the exhaust), etc.... Smoke is smoke!

The earth's air quality is bad enough. To purposefully add to what the environment pollutes me with seems stupid, at best. That's MY opinion. :rolleyes:

I rarely burn candles and have never burned incense. We rarely grill outside. And we don't have a fireplace. I'm wondering about smudging, if the cleansing power is worth the pollution? But I'm doing my part for the environment! ;)

I quit about 5 years ago, haven't had a cig since and not had one craving. How did I do it? Ok, I had a little help from some prescription medication called Zyban. Now I know people who have tried it and had to stop because of the side effects of which there can be quite a few. I was lucky in that the only side effect I had was probably a good one to get - a desperate craving for water. It probably helped flush a lot of toxins from my system.

I think the most important part of quitting, is the real desire to do it. Personally my decision to quite was financial, but whether your reason is health, financial or whatever, it has to be YOUR reason, not someone elses.

Best of luck.

StarChilde

Guest finyacluck

the best method to quit smokin, is to aquire asthma and catch a flu,

manys a none smoker was killed by air,

i have just booked a flight to barcelona for monday morning,

'enjoy your work, wish you werer here'

thats what i will be saying soon.:D

Well I tried smoking as a teen and failed at it miserabley (I couldnt remember I actually had a cigarette light! LOL!) and then in my early adulthood as well...but failed as well there too (forgot about packs of cigarettes in my ourse for months then see them and say "Oh yeah! I wanted to smoke!) finally gave it up...why try to do msomething when it wasn't important enough for me anyhow to keep track of????

Well I tried smoking as a teen and failed at it miserabley (I couldnt remember I actually had a cigarette light! LOL!) and then in my early adulthood as well...but failed as well there too (forgot about packs of cigarettes in my ourse for months then see them and say "Oh yeah! I wanted to smoke!) finally gave it up...why try to do msomething when it wasn't important enough for me anyhow to keep track of????

LOL...Anjel please explain...how do you fail on smoking? Really curious here ;)

I rarely burn candles and have never burned incense. We rarely grill outside. And we don't have a fireplace. I'm wondering about smudging, if the cleansing power is worth the pollution? But I'm doing my part for the environment! ;)

I wasn't talking about the environment, reread what I said, lol... What I am saying is that the ENVIRONMENT already adds enough shit to my lungs. Why would I purposely add more? ;)

I've smoked since I was 13 and did quit when I was prengant -- couldn't stand the smell, made me puke, smoking was banished form the house. But started again shortly after giving birth due to stress making me stupid.

I tried to quit cold-turkey last year after everyone in the house got violently ill, one after another, and we were socked in by blizzards. I lasted almost two weeks and nearly tore my dear MIL's head off (we were staying with her for a few months), so started smoking again for the sake of familial peace.

Since stopping out-right isn't going to work (not doing the pregnacy route again if I can help it) I've been conditioning myself over the last year to smoke less but recognizing my triggers (stress, after a meal, etc.) and force myself to wait an hour after an event before allowing myself the pleasure of half a cigarette. Eventually, the triggers don't work so strongly and I want less and less of that damn smoke.

Working pretty well. I'm down to three a day and eventually I won't want them at all.

Best of luck.

I've smoked since I was 13 and did quit when I was prengant -- couldn't stand the smell, made me puke, smoking was banished form the house. But started again shortly after giving birth due to stress making me stupid.

I tried to quit cold-turkey last year after everyone in the house got violently ill, one after another, and we were socked in by blizzards. I lasted almost two weeks and nearly tore my dear MIL's head off (we were staying with her for a few months), so started smoking again for the sake of familial peace.

Since stopping out-right isn't going to work (not doing the pregnacy route again if I can help it) I've been conditioning myself over the last year to smoke less but recognizing my triggers (stress, after a meal, etc.) and force myself to wait an hour after an event before allowing myself the pleasure of half a cigarette. Eventually, the triggers don't work so strongly and I want less and less of that damn smoke.

Working pretty well. I'm down to three a day and eventually I won't want them at all.

Best of luck.

That's pretty much the same reason I quit, I got pregnant. Stopped smoking for nearly 12months and then something happened that stressed me out MAJORLY and the first thing I ran to was cigs. Now I regret it! But your method sounds good. I think I'll try that too.

Leesa

LOL...Anjel please explain...how do you fail on smoking? Really curious here ;)

LOL! Well I wanted to start smoking because literally everyone in my family smoked...my mother...my father...my brother...my sister (whenever she came around) and I wanted to be like them I guess.

But truthfully I kept forgetting that I would have a light cigarette in the ashtray! Honest!

I would light a cigarette...take a puff...put it in the ashtray...then start doing something and totally dismiss the fact that I had a light cigarette in the ashtray!

Then...as a young adult I would buy packs and packs of cigarettes only to keep them in my purse for months at a time without even opening them!

So why try to start or fight to keep a habit when I just wasn't into it in the frst place and couldn't remember that I had them on me???

It's like drugs...never done them. Never was tempted. Saw people do pot...and other stuff but it never called out to me. I was always like "Yeah whatever...I'll be over here with my animals when you're done."

It's just me I guess LOL!

If anyone could fail at smoking, it's Sue... LMAO...

LOL...I guess so! :eek: :rofl: I never found anyone who could fail with cigs..hehehe... Sue (I'm glad I now know your name *G*), you are MY HERO!!! hehehe

LOL! Well I wanted to start smoking because literally everyone in my family smoked...my mother...my father...my brother...my sister (whenever she came around) and I wanted to be like them I guess.

But truthfully I kept forgetting that I would have a light cigarette in the ashtray! Honest!

I would light a cigarette...take a puff...put it in the ashtray...then start doing something and totally dismiss the fact that I had a light cigarette in the ashtray!

Then...as a young adult I would buy packs and packs of cigarettes only to keep them in my purse for months at a time without even opening them!

So why try to start or fight to keep a habit when I just wasn't into it in the frst place and couldn't remember that I had them on me???

It's like drugs...never done them. Never was tempted. Saw people do pot...and other stuff but it never called out to me. I was always like "Yeah whatever...I'll be over here with my animals when you're done."

It's just me I guess LOL!

I was literally in pieces on the floor with tears spilling down...You made my day a LOT brighter!! ;)

I gotta give it to you though Sue, it is amazing that you didn't develop this habit (I'm PROUD OF YOU!), nor any other. You must be my role model! That's it...I official claim you as my Role Model ;)

Archived