227 replies to this topic

#21 Holly

Holly

Thaumatourgos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

He was raised atheist, but he follows his own eclectic path of Buddhism, Voodoo, and the goddess Pele. Although I think he feels closest to Buddhism and Pele right now.

Interesting combo he's got there ;) I felt pretty connected to Pele in highschool-- actually, my old high school friends still call me "Pailay" from my interest back then. Since then I kind of fallen out with her and never re-connected with another goddess. Never had any ancestors in Hawaii anyway ;)

#22 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

my partner follows the nordic ways and his patron goddess has always been hel. He also takes his family crest ( the phoenix) as his personal animal sign. While we both practice traditional witchcraft,( myself i prefer the celtic ways a bit more and the Fae lores and druidism) he is definately more into the nordic ways, one of the best rune readers i have met:) And since both being involved in the craft both of us have agreed that our child shall go to the pagan school here in Tasmania ( although its not actively promoted as pagan, its theory and practices are ). we may not always agree with how we practice our followed paths but it makes for interesting debates. Its still nice to have someone understand where ur coming from and the concepts ur trying to explain, even if its not technically the same, although a lot of outsiders classify it as being the same spiritual path lol :flirt:
"My church is not of silver and gold,
Its glory lies beyond judgement of souls
The commandments are of consolation & warmth
You know our sacred dream won't fail
The sanctury tender and so frail
The sacrament of love
The sacrament of warmth is true
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#23 StarChilde

StarChilde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:20 PM

I don't have a partner so it isn't an issue. Now my ex-husband's family are Japanese and they are a mixture of Shinto and Zen Buddhist, as such they are not afflicted with the idea that witches are the spawn of satan thing that so many Christians have.

StarChilde

#24 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:29 PM

Ant is more on a Druid/Anglo Saxon shamanic path. But our paths are quite a like in the spiritual sense, he is interested in witchcraft and hoodoo but just leaves that to me :hugs:

#25 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:19 AM

This is one area we do not share, but he knows not to try to turn me back. He knows that I am happy with my path and leaves it at that. He will find things for me and buys them, like my dragon/crystal necklace. And a really cool amber ring. But, he follows the christian faith and I follow mine. We have left it up to the kids to decide on thier own. Both have attended christian schools and churches. The oldest calls himself a "nothing". As he puts it, he follows his own path, what ever it may be. The youngest is just starting to follow my path. He enjoys helping me with spell work, keeping my Grimoire up to date, reading my books. But he's only 13 and may change as he gets older. And that will be ok with me.

#26 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:41 AM

I know that this thread is old, but I think its okay to add. I have only been with my boyfriend for 4 years almost 5. He is basicly christian as long as you don't tell him to go to church. He has a pobia of churchs, and nobody needs to translate the bible for him he can read quite well himself, or how to worship his god and what not. On our third date he found out that I was a little different, because I was reading tarot cards for my 18 yr daughter - for a second I was scared that it was our last date - then I got this inner feeling he was fine with it.

He asks me questions, has seen all my books, and tools, and a year & ahalf ago, after I lost my job and was stuck at home alone he encouraged me to get out and start working with other witches like myself. He helped me put in my herb garden, and on occasion has asked if I put out my *dish* for our house spirits. And yes he will tease me sometimes about it too, but its all in love.

#27 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

My fiance has his own path. Tyr is his Patron God, and he has an interest in the Nordic paths. Myself when I was looking at candles and the like and came across a "skull" candle I liked it. His comment was "Wouldn't want to use it for ritual.." My reply was "Um Hun, I'm studying Traditional Witchcraft" "Oh...." So I don't think he has a problem with my path.

Occasionally he'll join me for ritual and have discussions about the path with me. However I am mostly on my own. My mother on the other hand wants me to be her teacher. I Know that my path and view is not for her, but that doesn't stop me from having discussions with her.

My only problem with him is that in public he refers to *our* practice as Wicca. Now there was a time when I was fine with that, but now.. I'm not so sure. I don't follow the "Traditional" Wicca, and I don't follow a traditional path yet. So I just say "I'm a witch". I let him call himself what he wants.

I want to raise my children in an eclectic spiritual life. By that I mean I want to expose them to witchcraft, various forms of paganism, Chrsitianity. and what have you. In the house we will work with my family and my fiance's family (all Christian) and my personal practices. That way they learn a lot and can make an informed decision on their own.

#28 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:53 AM

I want to raise my children in an eclectic spiritual life. By that I mean I want to expose them to witchcraft, various forms of paganism, Chrsitianity. and what have you. In the house we will work with my family and my fiance's family (all Christian) and my personal practices. That way they learn a lot and can make an informed decision on their own.

I am sure that will work for you, but the point about raising children to encounter many forms of religion/spirituality in the home, and letting them choose is something I personally don't ascribe to.

I see no reason to raise my children in any other spiritual tradition but my own. After all Christians don't teach their kids all about Witchcraft and then let them make a choice, do they! I'm not saying I indoctrinate my kids, of course they have a choice, but in my family tradition if they choose to look elsewhere then they go to other sources to find out their info.

I am quite satisfied that they will recieve sufficient education about world religions at school, and through their cultural influences and if they choose to pursue their interests further, resources are readily available to them through internet etc. (No one to date has gone outside the family tradition, and there are a lot of us!!)

Loona and I have given our views...what does everyone else think?

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#29 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:57 AM

I am sure that will work for you, but the point about raising children to encounter many forms of religion/spirituality in the home, and letting them choose is something I personally don't ascribe to.

I see no reason to raise my children in any other spiritual tradition but my own. After all Christians don't teach their kids all about Witchcraft and then let them make a choice, do they! I'm not saying I indoctrinate my kids, of course they have a choice, but in my family tradition if they choose to look elsewhere then they go to other sources to find out their info.

I am quite satisfied that they will recieve sufficient education about world religions at school, and through their cultural influences and if they choose to pursue their interests further, resources are readily available to them through internet etc. (No one to date has gone outside the family tradition, and there are a lot of us!!)

I agree to an extent here. I raised my girls as witches...but the middle one is currently exploring different paths as well (which is fine...she is 19 years old).

We raised our girls according to our own faiths and not what the extended family thinks.

My house...my rules.

But to each their own.

#30 circelilith

circelilith

Ode to no one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:12 AM

My Partner and I Plan to live our trad path and teach our children what we are, I have no doubts that between my relatives and my partners relatives and generally being in touch with other people they will learn what they need to learn...However we have agreed if my family tries to convert our children then they will be firmly reprimanded.

I personally want to pass on my knowledge and that of my teachers and deceased family members to my children...whether they use that with their beliefs is up to them...but I feel its important to pass on the tradition and knowledge so they may do the same for their families :)

"My church is not of silver and gold,
Its glory lies beyond judgement of souls
The commandments are of consolation & warmth
You know our sacred dream won't fail
The sanctury tender and so frail
The sacrament of love
The sacrament of warmth is true
The sacrament is you"
H.I.M

#31 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

My fiance was exposed to many religions growing up, and if my mom hadn't been completely programed (by her strict catholic father) that witchcraft was "evil" then I would have been exposed to it as a child. As it was I was exposed in my teens, and after reading some info my mom was like "yeah go ahead".

#32 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

I have to agree here Tana and Anjel. This comes from hind sight. I raised both my children with exposure of many different religions. I had hoped and wished that I could pass on my books to at least my daughter. My son is a total loss (LOL, totally whipped by his wife, had to become christian to be with her) Now he even tries to convert me - At that point I explode on him, my witchcraft served him very well as he grew up.

My daughter on the other hand chose Chrisitanity at 16, at 22 she was still comes to me for things because she didn't think she could do them because it's not christian for her to do it. I acutally put a stop to that and told her to light a candle and visulizate what she wants and "pray" about it, then let it go. Since she came back home to live for the last 4 mths off and on she seems to be a mixture of both now. If I would have not exposed her to so many I believe she would not have this problem.

Startella

#33 Guest_Rebie_*

Guest_Rebie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:57 AM

I have to agree here Tana and Anjel. This comes from hind sight. I raised both my children with exposure of many different religions. I had hoped and wished that I could pass on my books to at least my daughter. My son is a total loss (LOL, totally whipped by his wife, had to become christian to be with her) Now he even tries to convert me - At that point I explode on him, my witchcraft served him very well as he grew up.

My daughter on the other hand chose Chrisitanity at 16, at 22 she was still comes to me for things because she didn't think she could do them because it's not christian for her to do it. I acutally put a stop to that and told her to light a candle and visulizate what she wants and "pray" about it, then let it go. Since she came back home to live for the last 4 mths off and on she seems to be a mixture of both now. If I would have not exposed her to so many I believe she would not have this problem.

Startella

I kept trying to post about this, but would stop because it was hard to put into words. So, i will try. Just about every witch I know is a strong, confident, open minded person. We of course raise our children to be strong, confident and open minded. As well as independant. So of course they are going to grow up knowing they have a choice in what belief system they want to persue. Therefore if a witch raises their child in witchcraft only, or open to all, I don't think it would change the outcome one bit. We raise them to have minds of their own.
Rebie

#34 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:33 AM

Well put Rebie, My husband doesn't follow a path but we agreed not to raise our children in the conventional way. My kids don't attend church until they are old enough to decide to for the same reasons as Tana. They must however understand varying religions and understand the difference between religion and and path/way of life (thats a bit hard to explain really).

When they choose a path then I hope we have raised them to know them that it is fine to stand out and be different even if it's different from us - a lesson I needed as a child

#35 Loona Wynd

Loona Wynd

Shamanic seeker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:52 PM

Startella

I see. So I guess we'll make that decision when we come to that bridge.

#36 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:18 PM

I was encouraged to go to church/temple with friend's families. I wouldn't say it was an entirely educational experience, but did learn there were other ways out there. After all is done, I skipped the whole religion thing and went my own way.

#37 Thistle

Thistle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

My boyfriend is christian in his own way. He believes in God but doesn't go to church beacause he doesn't think he's welcome there (long story). He has a personal relationship with God and that's fine by me. He respects my belifs and bought a crystal for me for x-mas. Sadly I don't get to use him as a test subject but that's ok.
My family knows what I do I guess, but they live in Poland and don't really have to deal with it, my sister calls me and asks for forms of divination and other things and my grandmother asked me to do some healing work for her whan she found out, but then again she's the least religious person in my family. My uncle is an atheist and his wife is catholic, and my cousin is starting out with wicca so it's just all a big mix. It makes a good start for discussion since everyone are pretty openminded.

#38 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

I agree with this... I think Its good for a child to have some solid grounding from which to be able to explore from... rather than a mish mash of everything that can lead to inner conflicts or confusion or nothing..
Somethings IMO need to be kept alive, and in a sense there is a duty to pass on experiences and knowledge, I can understand though why some may prefer to not expose children to some beliefs, especially if they have grown up with fear and dogma rammed down their throat....

I heard someone once sayin in regards to raising a child without teaching them your beliefs or traditions ...was like not feeding your child until they are old enough to be able to tell you what they want to eat...In some ways you could say there is a responsibility to bring up a child in the way you see best, including your traditions and beliefs until they can make their own minds up..

Edited by Oakbuchanan, 11 January 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#39 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

My son is whatever he is, I don't think he has decided yet; however, he definitely believes in "other" but also (I think) in the xtian god.

My last girlfriend was catholic, which was fine until she started reading her bible at my kitchen table, telling me "god bless you," ranting about abortion and even going so far as to explore a web-site that can make you "not gay" and leave your evil lifestyle behind you by immersing yourself in god. Okay, fine. Go eat your own pu55y. I need to get laid.

(Gee, a little miffed, aren't I?? lol) No, seriously, I wish her well, it just won't be with me. I'd love an SO who followed my path, who I didn't have to "make time" for because we could do all this stuff together, not me doing my thing in a rush, trying to make tiime to see her. Sometimes it's so hard to find time for both.

#40 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:43 PM

My children are raised as pagans with the knowledge of witchcraft.
I find it totally natural to raise your kids on your own religion, its something I've been critisized on in the passed :mad: