228 replies to this topic

#201 Rustic

Rustic

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

My partner encourages and supports my craft. We share many of the same beliefs, and when we don't we respect our differences. She is more agnostic while I am atheist when it comes to religion, which has never played a big part of our relationship. We have been together for 8 years now, so we must be doing something right.

Edited by Rustic, 02 August 2013 - 08:14 PM.

"You're horrible!"

"No, I ain't. I'm Hoggle."

#202 BriarCreek

BriarCreek

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:35 PM

My SO is Catholic.  I am pretty close to a non-practicing atheist.  It's probably the main reason we don't get married.  I can see me taking those classes and ticking the priest off with my questions so much that he not only doesn't allow me to become Catholic but he kicks my SO's whole family out of the church.  I always explain it as I wasn't born with the "belief gene".  I have a hard time believing anything (which I can tell you was a pain in the butt for my family).  I question everything--even things most people take as common sense.  I once took apart my mother's station wagon because I thought that paying for gas was a scam.  :rofl:

Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water

After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water

#203 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

This is like a fairy tale to me... I adore my spouse but we base our relationship on entirely nonreligious ground. Cheers to you both.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#204 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

My partner and I  do share some beliefs. We both have an interest in Norse Mythology and the Norse Gods. His mother was into wicca (I believe she was initiated in a coven) so there are some links with witches and witchcraft too. But I don't know how he really feels about witchcraft.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#205 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

My partner is non-religious, and very into quantum physics and philosophy.  We've shared many long discussions about how things like intent and magic are able to work on a universal level, with contrasting-yet-complementary perspectives.  Despite our being ridiculously close (equal parts best friends and lovers), my craft is so personal to me that I would be disappointed if he expressed in learning with the expectation that we'd practice together.  Witchcraft is the one part of myself and my life that I refuse to share with anyone.

#206 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

My SO is an atheist, I'm an agnostic. He respects my beliefs as he had a brush with saami Shamanism as a child when he spent a few summers in their care. The local shaman was too young to search for an apprentice but was happy to treat him like one. He's knowledgable about Norse mythology and keeps some Scandinavian traditions alive, but though he works with magic in emergencies, he has little to no interest.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#207 Khundekling

Khundekling

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

This is an old post I know but I've talking about this subject with a couple of the members, so it's worth a bump in my eyes.

My SO was raised Buddhist but lost her faith after her Father passed away. She still believes to a degree but doesn't practice and has no interest in going to temple.

She knows what I believe but I think some of it scares her a bit. Simply because she doesn't understand it but that's something I'm working on  :vhappywitch: 

There are however many worshiping techniques in Buddhism that are the similar if not the same in my witchcraft. Would be great if she were a witch though **cough cough**sex magic**cough**  :D 

life is better with a biscuit

#208 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:09 PM

My partner knows what I am, and what I practice. He is an atheist, and I think he's just so grateful that I'm not pushing him to convert (his last wife got him to convert to her religion, and he's the type of guy who would do that for anyone, out of love), and I'm just letting him be FREE. Mostly though, he has a sister who is hard core christian. When they were teens, she would play her christian music, and he'd crank up the heavy metal music to drown her out :D

She would lecture him about why each band he listened to was sinful, and he'd play it anyway. We've both had the lectures from her about why Harry Potter is evil and sinful and dangerous, why yoga and kundalini is dangerous (all of this long before I took this path!), and I think after years and years of it, he's become very rebellious to her message. So, of course, he thinks what I'm doing (especially the hexes!) is really cool, and he not-so-secretly wishes his sister would find out about what I do just so he could see her reaction :D He's a shit stirrer, always has been :D I think the only thing that would make him happier, is if I were just a straight up Satanist.

He's not afraid of any of what I do, which I am always grateful for. He has joked that he's glad he's on 'my side', and that he'd never want to get on my wrong side, but I'm sure that would've been true before I took this path :D

And Khundekling, I had to laugh about what you said about sex magic! :D As soon as my partner heard about that, he was all, 'hey, ANYTIME you want to try that out, I'm here to help you!' LOL. But I haven't fully decided how I want to approach that, yet. It's definitely on the agenda, eventually, but I want to research it properly, as with anything else, first.

Edited by Tricycle, 23 September 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#209 Verin

Verin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:24 PM

My partner is not a witch per se, but does magical/ritual work, although not as consistently, elaborate and focused as I do it. I mean, I'm neck deep in magick 24/7 haha. She on the other hand is very spiritual, in tune with the moon, the equinoxes and solstices and so on, but she also has a buddhist approach to life in some way. But she will ask me what I think is going on with a certain topic, and she completely trusts my dreams and intuitions and is extremely supportive of me, calling me "Witch!" with awe and admiration... :wub:

#210 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:56 PM

My husband doesn’t consider himself a witch, but he was raised by his rural Romanian grandmother, and has a natural gift for talking to spirits and is pretty good with runes. He knows what I get up to and thinks it’s pretty awesome (didn’t even bat an eye when I came home from work carrying a dead bird today!).

#211 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:43 AM

My SO is an agnostic with Christian leanings, and I am an animist with polytheist leanings. We do not share any beliefs whatsoever. I don't want to get into it on here, but I'm envious of everyone whose partner accepts their beliefs.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#212 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

My husband is atheist but not closed minded.

We have no real conflict in this since I do not worship any form of deity. 

He does not know all I do, but he does not really feel the need to either.

He stays out of my way, and like Duchess said he does not bat an eye at me bringing home dead things. :grin_witch:

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#213 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

My husband is a semi-practicing Catholic while I was largely atheist before I took this path. I work with energy and spirits rather than deity, although there is one local Celtic god I called upon once in trouble and feel an affinity to. Husband is Catholic by upbringing and finds comfort in the rituals but I wouldn't say he believes in Catholic doctrine. He does have a sense of God though and he's a truly good person.

My husband will never practice witchcraft but I've been surprised at how open-minded he has been about my exploration. He even bought me a witch's diary last Christmas, which really touched me because he was acknowledging what I was almost before I did. The thing that spooked him the most (unbelievably) was my tarot cards. The herbs and shells and feathers and candles and whatnot he just rolls his eyes at. Shamanic work he treats respectfully to a degree, although he doesn't understand it. But tarot freaks him right out!

#214 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

My husband is a semi-practicing Catholic while I was largely atheist before I took this path. I work with energy and spirits rather than deity, although there is one local Celtic god I called upon once in trouble and feel an affinity to. Husband is Catholic by upbringing and finds comfort in the rituals but I wouldn't say he believes in Catholic doctrine. He does have a sense of God though and he's a truly good person.

My husband will never practice witchcraft but I've been surprised at how open-minded he has been about my exploration. He even bought me a witch's diary last Christmas, which really touched me because he was acknowledging what I was almost before I did. The thing that spooked him the most (unbelievably) was my tarot cards. The herbs and shells and feathers and candles and whatnot he just rolls his eyes at. Shamanic work he treats respectfully to a degree, although he doesn't understand it. But tarot freaks him right out!

I think that's pretty huge for a Catholic to be so cool about it :)

Isn't it funny with the tarot, though? :D My partner is happy with what I do, but one thing I failed to mention, and I probably should, is that he doesn't know the ins and outs of what I do. Any spells are done privately, he understands I would be too self conscious to do it any other way, plus I like to be able to create my own zone and concentrate. He teases me about the ingredients I'm madly collecting, but he doesn't know about my usage of menstrual blood :P I'm not sure how he'd handle that!

#215 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

I think that's pretty huge for a Catholic to be so cool about it :)

Isn't it funny with the tarot, though? :D My partner is happy with what I do, but one thing I failed to mention, and I probably should, is that he doesn't know the ins and outs of what I do. Any spells are done privately, he understands I would be too self conscious to do it any other way, plus I like to be able to create my own zone and concentrate. He teases me about the ingredients I'm madly collecting, but he doesn't know about my usage of menstrual blood :P I'm not sure how he'd handle that!

Same here, for the most part. The husband knows, in general, what I get up to (he's currently standing behind me giving me a back rub while I type this, after all), but I prefer to keep the details private unless it's something that involves him. For example I recently had a vision, and it turns out he got a warning about it and told me, so I shared some of the vision with him so he could understand what the warning meant. He will also occasionally ask me to do spells or tarot readings for him. Otherwise I keep the details private, and he knows better than to wander into my witchy space without me (the spirits there already kicked him out once :D ).

#216 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:33 PM

Same here, for the most part. The husband knows, in general, what I get up to (he's currently standing behind me giving me a back rub while I type this, after all), but I prefer to keep the details private unless it's something that involves him. For example I recently had a vision, and it turns out he got a warning about it and told me, so I shared some of the vision with him so he could understand what the warning meant. He will also occasionally ask me to do spells or tarot readings for him. Otherwise I keep the details private, and he knows better than to wander into my witchy space without me (the spirits there already kicked him out once :D ).

I know what you mean. One time, I had to tell him about a message I had from an ancestor, and I prefaced it with, 'I don't know if you think this sounds crazy, but..', because he could see I was stressed about something and wanted to know what was going on. I have read for him for practice, usually I offer, but there's been a small number of times, where I've had my cards out, and he's said, 'go on, give me a reading!' which I always do. One time I wanted to do a protection for him, and I told him what I was doing, and he wasn't there for most of it, but he did cooperate with the final parts of it. I never realised how much easier it is to do a protection on someone when they know you're doing it :D I'm forever discreetly doing protections for the house, my kids and the family as a whole, and because I'm not 'out' to my kids about this, I try not to let on to them what I'm doing.

I wanted to add too, that sometimes my partner knowing can be a pain. Because he has a big mouth, sometimes he'll blurt things about me being a witch at inopportune moments. I could throttle him when he does! A), because I don't necessarily refer to myself that way (except on here, and to my friend who's on a similar path), and B), because I want to keep it private. Argh! He  always apologises, but he's just so enthused about the whole thing, he forgets himself.

#217 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:09 PM

DH isn't a witch but he's interested in magic. I taught him sigil magic and he took to it well! I didn't exactly explain very well how to word the intent soooo life has been interesting around here, to put it mildly. We saw a band play that he's loved for years and he brought one of his sigils to be signed. The musician in question signed sigil style, I was amused.

He accepts what I do and what I believe, although he gets sort of on edge when the topic of spirit communication comes up. He has what he calls "grandma guilt" that makes him feel weird about things that are directly opposed to Judeo-Christian beliefs and practices, despite himself not practicing any religion. That said, he'll still bring me cool things that he finds that he assumes would be useful in spells or rituals. It's really sweet, actually.

Edited by Madame, 23 September 2017 - 06:13 PM.

#218 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

...he has a sister who is hard core christian. When they were teens, she would play her christian music, and he'd crank up the heavy metal music to drown her out :D

She would lecture him about why each band he listened to was sinful, and he'd play it anyway. We've both had the lectures from her about why Harry Potter is evil and sinful and dangerous, why yoga and kundalini is dangerous (all of this long before I took this path!), and I think after years and years of it, he's become very rebellious to her message. So, of course, he thinks what I'm doing (especially the hexes!) is really cool, and he not-so-secretly wishes his sister would find out about what I do just so he could see her reaction :D

Holy crap this describes my sister to a tee! Actually I have several family members like this. People don't seem to understand how off-putting it is to have beliefs forced upon you. Back on topic, though, my husband and I generally steer clear of religion in our relationship. In the two decades that we've been together, he has weathered several phases with me as I floundered and struggled with finding my path. Having become disilluisioned with religion in general, I have entered? evolved? into a more spiritual, nature-centered way of thinking as opposed to religious paradigms, which tends to be much more in tune with his beliefs. Unsurprisingly, this change has ushered in a wonderful era of matrimonial harmony and connectedness :loving: :loving:

True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio

#219 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

My guy would never call himself a witch but he is one. He is chaos incarnate when it comes to magic. Would never open a spell book but has a natural gift for rituals and manifesting. As you can imagine, that can create some issues when he is in a dark place.

He divines things straight out of nature with no rhyme or reason, but frightening accuracy. He points out guardians in the trees and fae in the wilderness, and faces follow him in the clouds. He will ask me for a tarot reading and then point out something in the cards that I never noticed before in a thousand draws....sometimes I question if he changed reality to make something appear there that wasn't there before. But to sit down and learn what the card's mean would be unbearably boring to him.

He claims he can't meditate but I've seen him go into a trance when he's playing the piano, or watching a fire, or mid-sentence. One day he prays to Jesus, the next day to Odin, by Friday he is an atheist and then a Buddhist monk. The only God he truly worships is music.

We couldn't be more opposite in our approach to the occult. I am meticulous, studious and starving for knowledge. I over analyze and plan every move I make, double checking the planetary influences, studying the historical rituals in eight cultures, cross referencing through my three journals and asking "how does this fit into the Great Work?" at every juncture. He is chaotic, impulsive and intuitive. He just does things and deals with the consequences boldly and without shame. We balance each out quite well, but both of us being Aries, there is some head butting that comes with the territory. But when we are headed in the same direction....

Edited by RapunzelGnome, 27 September 2017 - 07:53 PM.

#220 Greeny

Greeny

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

My husband was raised Christian and I would say he's mostly agnostic nowadays. He kind of knows about some of my practices and accepts them, but we don't talk about it. He is very open minded though so I believe if I did want to open up about my witchy ways he wouldn't totally dismiss me as crazy 🙃