* * * * - 2 votes

How many share same beliefs with SO?

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#181 Guest_Morgana Raven_*

Guest_Morgana Raven_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

My partner doesn't like witchcraft but my partner isn't religious in a sense...she believes in God but she also believes in reincarnation and my healing capabilities. She believes in psychics which both my mom and I are but my mom is more forward about it than I am. Anyways she's like a non practicing Christian but with other spiritual beliefs not found in an abrahamic belief system. So I have my secrets...what do you expect from a Scorpio? Posted Image

#182 Guest_Vala_*

Guest_Vala_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

My SO and I were both raised Catholic, but neither of us really believes in it. We both view it as more of a cultural and family heritage. He is an atheist, as I used to be before I discovered witchcraft. He knows about my witchy-ways- in very general terms. I've struggled with depression for several years, and I've found that witchcraft helps enormously, being that spells can be seen as a sort of self-reliant prayer (instead of just waiting for God to feel bad for you and intercede, you're doing something to help yourself, which, if anyone knows about the helplessness that accompanies depression can be very therapeutic). As a psychology student, every time I discuss my craft with him he has some fresh perspective on the psychological mechanisms at work. I find these perspectives interesting and I agree with most of them. I just don't think it conflicts with the "real-ness" of my magic. But at the end of the day, my SO wouldn't say that my craft is "real" or "really works" the way it is described, i.e that scrying results in anything besides imagination, etc. It bothers me a little bit, but I've come to deal with it. I just keep the more radical aspects of my craft hush-hush, and he gets that it's important to me and will even buy me some nice witchy things he sees fitting in on my altar.
:crystal-gazing:
We're a long way yet from having kids, but I've mentioned that I'd like to introduce my craft to my children, and he balked (probably because of the "weirdo" factor and how harsh kids can be to anyone different). We may yet reach a compromise. We'll probably raise the kids as we were raised- catholics in name only, really. Perhaps when they are old enough, I will bequeath my Book to them so that they can learn my craft. Plenty of time for that decision though, for all that I've loved hearing your responses to how you've handled the problem. :)

#183 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:00 AM

I am extremely lucky that my SO is every bit as spiritual and witchy as me. We hung out with the same kind of people in highschool because we were both witches, but we never really got to know one another well. 12 years and a few bad relationships later, we reconnected on FB and it was one of the things that made him really want to know me more, was that we were still very much the same in our beliefs and knowledge.

We both have different aspects of the craft, but it's wonderful that I never have to feel weird or outcast or feel that I have to explain anything I'm doing to him - he knows and agrees - so I am extremely lucky in that respect to have someone who understands and really gets me.

Same goes for our parenting belief, my parents brought me up being honest with me about everything and letting me decide what I thought was right for me spiritual wise, and I involve my 4yr old and explain things to her as much as I can and my partner and I believe in doing the same thing for her and any future kids, give them knowledge and the choice to find their own path :)

I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

#184 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

• I have a so who is aware of my witchs ways and very respectfully of the power they have. He is a religious person and I have learned to leave him on his path as it makes him happy. Our children we have left to decide on their own as a result our oldest tends to follow my path and our youngest follows his dads. I'm fine with that because I want them to find their path and be happy not forced into something.
I sometimes find it very hard to express myself because I know my posts can be hard to read and keeping them short is very hard for me. When I try to deal with the spacing here it always gets messed up lol.

#185 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

I just don't know if I could be in a shared-house relationship with someone who didn't share my path. So much of what I do at this time is revolving around the hearth - the heart of the home and the seat of the spiritual-beliefs of the home. There are spirits of my hearth and home...just having had the kids living here for three months has so knocked off the energy of the things that live here. They make up the presiding energy of my house. They have rights, too. It'd like me buying a dog when my cats have always had the freedom of the house. They'd learn to live together, but they would feel always unsettled (especially GK). Someone once said that when decisions about the home are made, the concerns of all who live there need to be taken into consideration and that includes the non-physical members of the home. I don't konw that I could continue to cultivate and support the relationship with the hearth when my heart is split between my hearth and the other person who should be the defender and supporter of this relationship. Maybe that feeling will change over time, but right now I would find it too bifurcated. My niece is coming here fore 3 days and wanted to stay with me, I said no. Right now my house is still getting back its equilibrium. The spirits are still just coming out from their hiding places after the intensity of having up-rooted and at times upset people living here. The energy of my house effects me. And I have a responsality to the spirits that were here first, and the ones I've cultivated a relationship with and hope to come with me should I move. If I don't take them into consideration with anything or anyone I bring permanently to my hearth.... well, it's kind of like a forced marriage. I am that hearth in a way. I don't kow that someone who didn't love and respect that hearth could really love and respect me. Certainly not understand me. They'd never see me as the guide of the house, the matriarch of the hearth... so they would never live by those understandings that are so basic to my lifestyle. Again, maybe this will change, but right now I can't see it.

M

#186 Imya

Imya

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

My SO is a very open-minded type of person. Saying that, he doesn't really know the depths of my faith and spirituality.
Why? Because I'm afraid of how he will react. Living with a man can really show you the aspects of their character that you may not have noticed when only courting. I discovered whenever I mentioned anything remotely Pagan, (which I was before I was a full time witch
:laugh:) he would shudder away, and change the subject. He knows deep down my ways, but he doesn't confront me about them, he lets on sometimes that he's trying to understand, but he doesn't want to try an seem like he's judging me, which I'm thankful for.
He's a Buddhist mainly, taking a lot of interest in Hinduism, too. Being a Witch, I find that taking parts and inspiration from many faiths and religions helps to build our own foundation, and solidify what we actually believe. I find I do take inspiration on my craft from Buddhism and Hinduism, too, and in that way we can relate sometimes where our spirituality overlaps.
As for the parenting side of things... (Yes, I may only be 18 years old, but I'm a slightly odd teen me. I don't like drinking or nights out, I'd rather spend time at home with my SO and family. I often fantasise about starting my own family with my SO and having a happy home with many children. So sue me! haha) I believe us witches shouldn't shy away from our beliefs. Many raise their children in Abrahamic faiths without having a second thought. I believe in this day and age, where witchcraft is becoming more accepting, we shouldn't have to raise our children in a faith we don't believe in, just to please people we don't know/care about.
I solemnly believe my children will be little Witches, after all, I haven't been so at peace with myself and the world since discovering the Witch inside me.

-Imya

#187 burdock

burdock

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Religion wise my husbian (lesbian husband) is atheist, and she doesn't practice the Craft. She supports and encourages my witchcraft, though.
"I'm going to Hagrid's."

#188 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

So much has change since my last post on this topic. I would like to share the growth. My husband has always known what I am and has given me the space to be who I am but we never talked about it. I have always kept my stuff hidden in plain sight. The same was true for our kids. I had never talked to them about it. I've always been outspoken about the misconception that much of the world has about witches and witchcraft but never related it to myself or gave personal examples. I just kept it to myself. I have to admit, this was stifling and left a bit of a hole in me. I'm not sure what changed...scratch that. I know exactly what changed! I finally trusted him/them and gave them the credit they deserved! I feel I was being a coward. It was no big deal for them and they all had some idea I was a witch. This has been extremely liberating for me! The love and acceptance from them was the most incredible feeling I've had in, maybe, my life.

My husband doesn't share all of my beliefs. He is not a witch nor is he religious and he wouldn't dare tell me who I have to be or what I can and cannot do but he shows me support in everything I do and that includes my craft and path. Now that we have opened that door of communication, my world has expanded in so many areas. He asks few questions but they're always thoughtful and with genuine interest in what I think and feel. He doesn't usually participate in any ritual or spell work. I like it that way, personally. I included him and my middle son in a small working once, just to give them an idea and they were both so into it. This son still can't wrap his head around it but he believes it works. My husband has taken to trying to help in more mundane ways like trying to help me set up private ritual space, giving me things that he thinks are sort of witchy and respecting my time and needs. My kids are all very supportive as well and out of respect for me, the keep their mouths shut about it to their friends and in public but they know that their questions are welcome. My youngest son (I have mentioned in another post or two that he's always seen spirits and can communicate with them) has expressed his interest in learning more. He believes that now that we can talk about this freely, that witchcraft/ or a path (for lack of a better term) has been calling to him for some time now and he would like me to teach him more about it.

#189 Arabella

Arabella

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Sorry, what is SO? Thanks

#190 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Sorry, what is SO? Thanks

"Significant Other" - Husband, Wife, Partner, Lover, Girlfriend, Boyfriend - the person you share your life and your bed with.

M

Edited by Michele, 23 February 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#191 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

A strange conversation with my normally supportive husband tonight. He has told me he has some doubts about some of the things I have been bringing into our home recently

and (to use his words) the "darker magic" that he does not feel entirely comfortable with. He also commented that he believes working with (again his words) "negative energies" has caused

me to become less compassionate as a person and more malicious in general. As I don't share 90% of the detail of what I actually do with him, I'm not entirely sure where he is getting these ideas from so it was all a bit out of left field.  It reminded me a little of the Trad witches are vengeful thread, as certainly in the opinion of my husband Trad Witches appear to be vengeful bitches hellbent on enjoying their malice...

I'll double up the protections on the privacy magic a little and open some better lines of communication with the husband as if he is feeling discomfort in his own home I must be at least

partly to blame for that. But I do get frustrated with some of the morality in those around me, there so often seems to be this idea that if you are not entirely fixated on altruism you are in some way living your life in a bad way. He accused me of being prepared to sacrifice others to advance my own interests and yes, absolutely I can't disagree. But I don't think it makes me a bad person to take responsibility for my own life and to expect other people to accept responsibility for theirs.

(Lol, what a moan, I wonder if I should have placed it in a more appropriate thread for whining?) 

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#192 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

I have read your profile and website and you are the antithesis of negative anything. Poor guy would probably shit his pants, if he knew some of the stuff other witches do. Good luck with that.

#193 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

What she said.

and I love your website. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#194 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:07 AM

. . .  Trad Witches appear to be vengeful bitches hellbent on enjoying their malice...

I can live with that description . . .

#195 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

I have read your profile and website and you are the antithesis of negative anything. Poor guy would probably shit his pants, if he knew some of the stuff other witches do. Good luck with that.

Ha! I'd agree... "Dark magic" indeed...cheeky beggar.  He ought to be glad he's got a cheery compassionate witch for a wife. Most witches would have hexed the irritating man into oblivion by now. Not that I'm averse to getting my hands dirty with a bit of malice occasionally but as pointed out in the quote, I'm far from being the embodiment of negativity.

Wish there was a witch wife swap show on telly, I'd swap with someone  (Jevne - definitely) for a week - I somehow don't think he'd look quite so disparagingly at the things I get up to at the end of the witch swap.... 

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#196 aurorarosepsychic

aurorarosepsychic

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

My husband loves the fact that I practice and what I believe in but he doesnt really participate or do anything with it himself 

#197 WhisperingBreeze

WhisperingBreeze

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

My DH is aware that I am a practitioner. He pretty much figured it out when we were dating. The books I had in plain sight, and items not normally seen in a non witch home were/are pretty hard to miss. Where he grew up using his words " lots believe in folksy ways of doing things".  He said he doesn't fully believe in it, but that he's seen to much come of it to write it off as coincidence. So I get no real guff from him other than an occasional eye roll and chuckle if when he asks and I reply yes that funny looking/smelling thing I have going on is one of "my special projects". He does however keep his distance from them after. 

My ex-hub who I did not come out of the broom closet with, once found one of my tarot decks and had an absolute fit. He demanded I get rid of the evil things. He eventually turned fundy christian and insisted I follow. Instead of following his dictate, I had the county court send him an order of a different sort.

Edited by WhisperingBreeze, 02 August 2013 - 12:42 AM.

#198 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

Play things of the devil are dem tarot cards :wink:

#199 ivyhaven

ivyhaven

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

After destroying three husbands, I realized marrying of my own kind was the only way...and I was right. In my opinion, basic spiritual connection is very important in choosing a SO. Fourth time is a charm.

#200 bluelily

bluelily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

I am very lucky to have found the person that fits so well with me. My first and only love, together 10 years so far during this lifetime. We share the same beliefs on almost everything.