• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#1 Leesa

Leesa

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

I am just curious to know how many of you share your beliefs with your SO. I dont mean share info and such, I mean do they also follow the same path or something like it?

My husband doesnt. He's not anything really. He's interested in Paganism and Witchcraft and we've both talked it over and decided to raise our son and any other children we have in that manner too. His aunt is a Witch (although he didnt know that until I told him lol) so he's somewhat familiar. Plus I have been "teaching" him what I know.

Leesa

#2 Holly

Holly

Thaumatourgos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

We did kind of talk about this on another thread (I think it's titled "alone?"). I unfortunately am pretty alone in my beliefs when it comes to my boyfriend. He's an ex-Catholic atheist and after a year and a half of dating is still uncomfortable with my practices. Good thing we live apart ;)

#3 Belladonna

Belladonna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:43 PM

Hi Leesa,

Good topic for discussion!:flirt:

My hubby, Lee, shares my path intimately! :hugs:

We first met whilst doing some non-craft related charity work, and ended up part running the charity group with 3 others, who weren't always available to organise things, so we ended up doing the main part of the work for the group (setting up a website, setting up an email support group and arranging visitors to give talks at the monthly meetings)

As we got to know each other and realised we were falling in love we got to talking about religion and beliefs, and I told him I knew what I felt, and explained what that was, but that I hadnt got the words to name my path (at this point I'd been seeking for about 15 years, after realising christianity didnt do it for me at the age of 10 and then going through a long period of inactivity on the spiritual side before looking at all the mainstream religions including buddhism, hinduism, taoist beliefs and much more besides). :rolleyes:

His answer was to tell me that he had a book to lend me, which was A Beginners Guide to Witchcraft by Teresa Moorey, which immediately spoke to me on many levels! As Lee is dyslexic it takes him ages to read anything, so although he'd had the book for a year or so he was still looking at just starting his practices!:D

On my next day off we both rang each other at the same time to ask if we wanted to go to the local Pagan Shop in Manchester, which we did, and not long after we began our practices together, at first following what Teresa had said, then on looking for more info we found ourselves within an ecclectic wiccan framework for about 18 months before we found ourselves so far out of balance with the light / white / good focus of Wicca that we both felt we needed something more.:eek:

Fortunately we then met a Trad Witch who was a part of a Family, based 250 miles away, and after meeting up with her we started training with her! The 'Family' she was involved with later split, and we stayed with the half that she led for a while after that until we fell foul of some of the group with ego problems, and found ourselves once more on our own!:rolleyes:

We had a 12 month period of rest and reflection then before meeting with some others who claimed to be Trad Witches, and trained with them for 12 months, getting quite a bit of knowledge that filled in some of the gaps, but their focus was too ceremonial for us, so we recently split from them, and are now practicing together alone!:)

Our path is something that we share fully, it is a cement that binds our love, an intrinsic part of our very beings and something we both feel (and have had flashes of) that we have done together before, many many times! We both know that we are fortunate in this, but as long as your SO doesnt object to your practices it shouldnt really matter what you do!:D

May you live in interesting times!
Belladonna

'What does not kill me makes me stronger'

#4 Moonshine

Moonshine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:54 PM

My husband is aware of my interest in witchcraft and Wicca*. Kinda hard to miss with all the books I've bought over the years. LOL Also, he bought me a crystal ball.

So while he doesn't share the interest in it to the depth that I do, he doesn't put it down, per se. I think, though, if I started making an alter, erecting a stang, working spells, making black salt, and gathering graveyard dirt, he'd tease me about it. And although he would do it with the idea that he was "just teasing", it would get old real fast. (He does this about a lot of things, not understanding how hurtful it can be when he sees it as "just teasing".) So, this is one reason I haven't tried to put into practice what I'm learning yet.

* I include Wicca only because the books I have are Wiccan. And I was interested in Wicca--but put off by all the ritual, worship, and "stuff" it seems to promote--until recently. Well, about a year or so ago, I guess, when it came to my attention that something other than Wicca existed--traditional witchcraft. Sometimes it takes me a while to get around to seriously researching things I find of interest. ;)

)O( Lane

#5 Morgana

Morgana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:21 AM

My husband doesn't mind and once in awhile will tease me. We were never really big on religion, not church goers after we were married. But then, as I like to snope around I did get interested in psyhic work. This lead me to Wicca which was really not for me. Like Moonshine said, couldn't get into the rituals, ceremonies, etc. But then, more snoping, I found witchcraft. Did a lot of research and here I am, a practicing witch for almost 10 yrs. Yeah, I may not do spell work everyday, but I believe in the way of life and will do so.

The problem I have is my in-laws have no clue. Tomorrow we will be celebrating Thanksgiving with them and I always have the fear that my born-again sister-in-law will find out. Last time my youngest got mad at the oldest and asked me put a spell on him to make him nice, right in front of sis in law. She wanted to know what he meant. Just kinda blew her off. There is no need for her to know what I do cuz then, my husband will have to involved and there will be a lot of fireworks. Bad enough my sister doesn't handle it well, but his family will go nuts.

#6 Guest_finyacluck_*

Guest_finyacluck_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:51 AM

SO? what is so?
no offence intended, but, .........what is ...'so'?
So what?
:confused:

#7 Leesa

Leesa

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:59 AM

SO meaning significant other, like husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend.

I'm lucky as my husband's aunt is also a witch so his family doesnt have a prblm with any of that. My family too is VERY accepting as well! My mother buys me all kinds of stuff, pents and statues etc etc. My brother (who's older) kinda makes fun but I was also told by his wife and MIL (mother in law) that he brags that his sister is a Witch... That's pretty cool I think.

Leesa

#8 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:07 AM

My husband is an atheist, so no, we don't share the same beliefs. He fully encourages me to do what I want, however, and puts up with all my crap everywhere and the things that I do, LOL!!

He's wonderful, even if he's not a witch. :flirt:

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#9 Guest_finyacluck_*

Guest_finyacluck_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:08 AM

oh...L.O.L. S.O. W.H.A.T. ?
WANTING
HA'F-WIT
AFFILIATED with
oTHER;)

#10 arabi

arabi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:18 AM

We're both atheist so it works out fine. He has done a few workings with me, brought home "presents" and regulary asks for positive tree and plant identification prior to clearing, LOL:)
Somewhere, however far or near, there is something very dark and grim hurtling toward each one of us. We just don't know when it will hit. Then, quite suddenly, it won't be all right at all.

#11 Guest_finyacluck_*

Guest_finyacluck_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:58 AM

:Daribi, enjoy your happy time, if you have some-body who loves you so. enjoy and good tidings,
you sound like you sooooo deserve it.:flirt:
im sooo on vacation right now.:cool:

#12 Sara

Sara

Questioner of all things!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:03 AM

Yes we both share each others beliefs. My husband has helped open worlds upon worlds for me. :flirt:
"Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." - Plato

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

#13 arabi

arabi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:27 AM

:Daribi, enjoy your happy time, if you have some-body who loves you so. enjoy and good tidings,
you sound like you sooooo deserve it.:flirt:

Well thank you Fin!! :D

im sooo on vacation right now.:cool:

Have a great vacation luv...which it sounds like you already are, LOL!:flirt:

Somewhere, however far or near, there is something very dark and grim hurtling toward each one of us. We just don't know when it will hit. Then, quite suddenly, it won't be all right at all.

#14 Constance

Constance

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:01 PM

My boyfriend's a devout Christian -- Uniting Methodist. (I love a church name that includes a verb.) Admittedly, he's the most open-minded Christian I've met, but he remains active in his Church.

He's got a lot of compassion for just about everyone, participates in rituals that I conduct, and is politely interested in most of what I do. I couldn't ask for anything more, really.

Every time he dreams about God, he dreams that God is an African-American woman...I think I'm rubbing off on him.

People from the South read a bit more than those from other regions, mostly religious books and romance novels. -- Where you fall in poll of U.S. reading habits, Cnn.com

Spooked: Books to Run From

Getting dirty for soap fairy since 2007.

Mistress of the mystic kangaroo defense method (MKDM).

#15 Jaime

Jaime

the cat's staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

My hubby is either agnostic or soft atheist. I'm not sure which. Since I've been a little more active in trad witchcraft (and that's sporadic at times) he hadn't really raised an eyebrow... I really open with him and he appreciates that. He doesn't ask very many questions. A couple of years ago, when I was in a Wiccan circle, for about a year, he came with me. Then decided he didn't want to go anymore. Then I became disillusioned with Wicca and went searching for something more balanced and realistic. That's when I found this site. The rest, as they say, is history...
:howl-moon:

Respect the Elders. Teach the Young. Cooperate with the Pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your Mark.

:Witch-1:

#16 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:27 PM

I am just curious to know how many of you share your beliefs with your SO. I dont mean share info and such, I mean do they also follow the same path or something like it?

My husband doesnt. He's not anything really. He's interested in Paganism and Witchcraft and we've both talked it over and decided to raise our son and any other children we have in that manner too. His aunt is a Witch (although he didnt know that until I told him lol) so he's somewhat familiar. Plus I have been "teaching" him what I know.

Leesa

My husband is more shaman than witch...but we are pretty much on the same wave length :) He knows herbs and spells...wonderful with crystals...very fluid in the witches alphabet.

He knows everything that is in my grimoire and has made several of my ritual tools...even made a wonderful witches chest to keep our handfasting items in...once he gets back he will be making the wooden book covers for my grimoires as well.

#17 Rainbow7

Rainbow7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:58 AM

My hubby is not believer of anything really, but,,,,,,,,,,,, after 18 years totally is ok with mine, kwim? hes sooooooo use to it. Though we have similar interests in others areas, bikes- harleys the whole bike scene, tattoos, our dress style[ compliment eachother our tastes] our home style, medievel, gothic amongst my magical bits through out, swords and daggers, and other stuff. So we are alot alike just not where spiritual subjects come into it. But he buys me stuff, whether it be crystal, tarot pack crystal ball, oil burner etc etc. Which is sweet, sorta knowing me, joining in my interests. He will always let me know of some psychic fair going on, new occult shop, new tv programme, or dissuss some talk show debate on radio. Sooooooooo its cool the way it is. And thankfully babysits our children when im seeing clients, working. :D
To take every thing as a pinch of salt, if need to use it as an ingredient to your inner you. Use it, if not sprinkle it back to mother earth for someone else to use.

#18 Guest_Red Witch_*

Guest_Red Witch_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:28 AM

Mine thinks it's all nonsense, which suits me fine! He doesn't mind my 'stuff' littering the place, never complains, and benefits when things go right. He's an atheist, science is his god! It works for us, though I am jealous of Belladonnas lovely set-up... So romantic!

#19 Lurid Wolf

Lurid Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:22 PM

My wife excepts my beliefs but does not follow the same path. She tends to hold on to her christian beliefs mixed with some new age. She keeps an open mind. We, so far are letting our children learn from both sides and they can decide for themselves when they are ready.

#20 Guest_Sacredsin_*

Guest_Sacredsin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

Leesa

My fiance doesn't share any beliefs similar to mine really. I want to raise our future children in my path, while he'd rather not raise them with religion at all. He believes we shouldn't raise them with a certain path but rather let them find their own when they're ready. So far though it looks like I'm going to win that argument, lol. He's pretty eclectic though. He was raised atheist, but he follows his own eclectic path of Buddhism, Voodoo, and the goddess Pele. Although I think he feels closest to Buddhism and Pele right now.