turning the stone

Guest finyacluck

Guest finyacluck

For a while i have been wondering what this 'turning the stone' entailed, every since i heard it was a method used in the old days in Ireland to curse. Anyway to cut a long story short, yesterday evening I accompanied a friend to a talk by the local historical society given by an elderly lady on the topic of 'holy wells'. I had my obvious reservations as you can imagine as the word 'holy' doest usually bode too well with myself. I had visions of a room stuffed with self-pious, judgemental whatevers turning me un-favourable glances, but thank-fully I was pleasantly surprised as the eveving was both informative and entertaining and any sideway glances directed my way more more than favourable, as if to say 'oh isn't it nice to see a young person amogst us'. A perfect antidote after a previous evening of pure debouchary. Anyhoo, amonst otherthings (which I will share later), not only did this wonderful lady demonstrate turning the stone she also enlightened her audience as to the where-abouts of a powerful standing stone where this was traditionally preformed right back to ancient times.(she did not mention the cursing element - probably a wise decision I felt)

As I have never seen it in any book I will try to explain how the turning is done, well quite simply all it involves is to stand with your shoulder against the stone and to rotate your body whilst rotating around the stone, i.e. always having your body in contact with it.

If anybody is already familiar with this practice i apoligise for wasting your time but would appreciate your views etc.

Just wanted to say how interesting fin, and what a fab eve it sounds by all accounts. Especially if it was something you were interested in, wanted to know for a while. Great !!!!!!!! And i as they say, have learnt something today a new thing, thanks for that hun chat sooooooon xxx ;)

Glad to see a coherant post that I can comprehend;).

I've never heard of this. Very interesting. I'd love to learn more about this...sober version of course, LOL.

Thanks!:)

Hey Fin-meister! No, I haven't heard of it, but I like the sound of it. I wonder if it matters which way you go around the stone, clockwise or counter? Or is it just intent as you make contact with the stone? I think the well thing is very interesting, too. I've always liked wells, but we don't get many here in Fla. Don't know if that's because we're so close to sea-level or not. But glad to see you're still on-line and that you're exploring things that interest you. I'd love to hear more about the wells and the stones. :hugs:

Guest Red Witch

I've not heard of this. It sounds worth a go though! As to Holy Wells, they often pre-date the Xtian link they are known for. There is one not too far from me at Bisley:http://www.moleseyhistory.co.uk/books/surrey/holywells/index.html

It would appear that monks would set up their monatseries and churches at the sites of established 'miracle' waters.

Wow, you're so lucky to have a community of people interested in such things! It does sound very interesting... Is it only possible with your local "powerful standing stone" or will any large boulder do? Is it used for any spellwork, or just cursing? What did she say it is used for, since she didn't mention the cursing element?

I also wonder if it'd be possible to "turn the stone" by using an ordinary, palm-sized river stone (I imagine nice and smooth) and turn it over in your hand or turn it over on a flat surface.

Oh yeah, and what was the "holy well" thing about, or did you post that in another thread? :)

Greetings All

Well now this is a curly one and from my understanding it depends on where you are. In some cases it can be in some way symbolic of as airing the underworld.

It should also be stated however that there are several stories I know of whereby stones need to be turned to ensure the continued well being of the community. There is also at least one I heard of years ago involving walking stones - but that while I personally feel very related - is a different issue.

If there is interest I shall dig aroud and see if I can't turn up one or two of them - they are in my library somewhere.

Fraternally

Scott

Hi Fin!

Not heard this one specifically, but it does bear some resemblance to a way of addressing the Altar that I have read about linked with the Clan of Tubal Cain and the writings of Robert Cochrane / Roy Bowers

They seem to use a Stang as an Altar in the center of their working area, and approach it with their back turned, looking over the right shoulder, (forcing the spine to twist in the same manner as does the strands of human DNA), and then 'turn the mill' by walking with a dragging gait around the mill with their backs to the center or Stang. Not quite the same, but similar enought to make me wonder if there is a shared root to the 2 practices!

Guest finyacluck

The church 'allowed' it to continue, you see, as long as they recited 'holy' 'prayers'. But, sure god knows what your reciting when no soul can hear you. Although, in fairness you could bet your life that it was no biblical :pverse recited in the dead of night. Un-less backward, an'latin. And 'our' lords prayer only. (but that is irrelivent).

Irish verse incited,.....and then in english also for our most recent ancestors.....

then turn the stone in Belcoo.

• 4 years later...

Dusting off this old post and giving this a bump.

I found this interesting as to taking ones body and connecting to the stone. I visualize this as the stone must be huge and grounded in the earth.

I'll pose this : There are paths that utilize an egg to capture the negative within the body, by rolling the egg about ones flesh.

Why not a stone ? Why not a stone, taken from the earth, this almost sounds like Chakra healing but it gives the Witch, the choice, the application, and the visionary to take a stone and use this for the same purpose.

Taking a stone and letting it absorb the negative that may weigh a Witch down, used as a cleansing of sorts, and disposing of it as the Witch sees fit. Or after a time, the negative stone could be used for other initiated workings...:thinking:

Regards,

Gypsy

Facinating post, and those that threaded to it, even better, in my opinion.

There is a village in Devon, UK who continue a tradition of " Turning the Devils Stone" see here Calendar Customs

This, as also mentioned by Scott, is the version of 'turning the stone' that I am most familiar with. I know a family that turns large stones at the four corners of their property right before the planting season. If the stones happen to turn themselves, which happens occasionally, they believe they will be blessed with a particularly bountiful crop.

Jevne

Dusting off this old post and giving this a bump.

I found this interesting as to taking ones body and connecting to the stone. I visualize this as the stone must be huge and grounded in the earth.

I'll pose this : There are paths that utilize an egg to capture the negative within the body, by rolling the egg about ones flesh.

Why not a stone ? Why not a stone, taken from the earth, this almost sounds like Chakra healing but it gives the Witch, the choice, the application, and the visionary to take a stone and use this for the same purpose.

Taking a stone and letting it absorb the negative that may weigh a Witch down, used as a cleansing of sorts, and disposing of it as the Witch sees fit. Or after a time, the negative stone could be used for other initiated workings...:thinking:

Regards,

Gypsy

Facinating post, and those that threaded to it, even better, in my opinion.

Cunning people would use a bar of iron to take curses away from people and houses by rubbing it on the person, thresholds etc.

Cunning people would use a bar of iron to take curses away from people and houses by rubbing it on the person, thresholds etc.

I can accept that, as Iron is an element/mineral, plants and animals require and use iron to replenish themselves.:thumbsup: Gives me something to ponder. Thanks Autumn Moon.

Regards,

Gypsy

Archived