Refusing to participate in the Inquisition.

arabi

This info comes from part of my genealogy. It was sent to me by one of my cousins in France, where he found it in a French Encyclopedia.

Translation included. The last sentence in the encyclopedia proved to be innacurrate since the family turned up in Quebec and the US about one hundred years later crossing with the LaVeau lines.

I was happy to read that my ancestor had the guts to tell the king to stick in his arse and refused to participate in the Inquistion. Go dude!

Je connais une histoire de Rochon qui date de la premiere croisade du roi Louis IX, autrement connu comme Saint-Louis. Il avait un ?cuyer du nom de Rochon qui lui sauva la vie au cours de la croisade. Ils se li?rent d'amiti? et de retour en France le roi l'ennoblit. Il devint donc Rochon de la P?rouse. La famille Rochon de la P?rouse resta la plus pr?s des rois subs?quents pendant quelque deux cents ans, jusqu'en quatorze cent quelque (juste avant Jeanne d'Arc) o? le roi nomma un Rochon, qui ?tait religieux, en charge de l'inquisition. L'abb? ou l'?v?que Rochon refusa le poste et d?nonca l'inquisition. Le roi furieux d'une telle r?bellion retira les titres de noblesse a tous les Rochon et donna la P?rouse ? une autre famille. Les Rochon disparurent de l'histoire a partir de ce moment.

Rough Translation:

I know the history of the Rochon dating to the first crusade of King Louis IX, later known as Saint-Louis. He (King Louis) had an armour carrier (Rochon) who saved his life in battle. They became friends and upon their returtn to France the king enobled him. The family of Rochon (Rocheron de la Perouse) remained close to the subsequent king's families for almost 200 yrs, until almost the 14th century (just before Joan of Arc) where the king appointed Rochon, who was a religious (clergy?), an placed him in charge of the Inquistion. The bishop Rochon refused the position and denonced the Inquisition. The king furious at such a rebellion stripped away the title of Nobleman of the Rochon de la Perouse and gave it to another family. The Rochon disappear from history at that point (last sentence inaccurate).

That's great to have such family history/folklore...so many people don't konw about their heritage..this is really cool to see! Thanks for sharing Arabi!

That's great to have such family history/folklore...so many people don't konw about their heritage..this is really cool to see! Thanks for sharing Arabi!

You're welcome;). Had it not been for the internet, I would have never been able to find such things. As much as I despise technology, this has its perks, LOL. Alot of the info I have has been aquired within the past 5 yrs or so through genealogy yahoo groups, found many relatives and just started sharing what we all had. Amazing.

Archived